LIVE From The Woods 2021 Stories And Pictures Let's Have Em!

grampy

Had the best worst day of my life in the woods this afternoon. Had to work this morning but planned on going out with my dad for an afternoon sit. I got to his house about 130 and when we left at 2 it started down pouring. We decided to just go in quietly and get out of there because we both had some things we wanted to do. He wanted to put a new blind up and i had a climber i wanted to bring in so i didn't have to set it all up in the morning. I know these things should've been taken care of before now but I've been busy with a new house and haven't gotten the chance to get out. On the way in we jumped a bedded doe along with a nice buck in a field of golden rod. We set my stand up, swap the card out of my camera, then go set up his blind along with a couple other cameras. By now its raining/snowing even harder and were soaked to the bone. We start slowly walking out and i hear a deer blow so we kneel down for a few minutes on an old power line road with no where to really go for cover. Not even a minute later a doe crosses the road into the golden rod field and FOUR bucks are chasing her. One was a scrubby 5 or 6 pointer and the other three were very respectable 8s or bigger. The scrub buck starts walking up the road towards us and got to about 7 yards before turning into the golden rod while the others ran around in the  field tailing the doe about 30 yards away. By this time all we could see is their heads so there was no shot opportunity unless they came back into the road. As were sitting there waiting for a shot i see a fifth buck take two steps into the road 20 yards away about to cross into the field. This buck was the biggest of all the bucks we saw today by far. I draw my bow back and shoot, but pulled my bow to the left at the last second and miss. Im so glad it was a clean miss, but man that would've been the icing on the cake if i had gotten that buck while sitting shoulder to shoulder with my old man after both of us just saw all that rutting activity 30 yards in front of us. Im sick to my stomach about missing, but overall it was one of the best experiences I've had in the woods yet and ill remember it the rest of my life. 

I should add, this isn't our property and a few other guys hunt it also so its not managed like other properties are. Its very unusual to see that many big bucks, thats part of the reason it was such a cool experience. 

Edited by SuperMag
  • Like 10

49 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Wild story. Hope you find him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

43 minutes ago, REDNECK4LIFE32 said:

That deer shouldn't b far if he has a that much in his brain dead deer walking. Hope you find him.

I will say that he wasn't acting like any other wild deer does. When he was standing there in the brush he just kept looking around and shaking his head.The impact of the shot literally knocked him off his feet. 

49 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Wild story. Hope you find him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks, I hope I do as well. I hate to wound them and I hate that I can't even think of an explanation for what happened. My pin was settled right on that one hair covering his heart at 25 yes so how in the hell does the arrow hit him in the head.

1 minute ago, bhunterED said:

I will say that he wasn't acting like any other wild deer does. When he was standing there in the brush he just kept looking around and shaking his head.The impact of the shot literally knocked him off his feet. 

Thanks, I hope I do as well. I hate to wound them and I hate that I can't even think of an explanation for what happened. My pin was settled right on that one hair covering his heart at 25 yes so how in the hell does the arrow hit him in the head.

I have a huge problem years back with shooting high and over deer, it turned out that I kept forgetting to keep my elbow up when shooting downward out of a treestands. Couple that with deer reaction time, I can see it happening. That deer could very well die close by from hemorrhage in his head, good Luck! 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, bhunterED said:

That deer shouldn't be far just hope snow and rain didn't screw ya washing sign away.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, bhunterED said:

It could of been a small stick that deflected it you couldn't see on the shot.  My guess is if it sank that far in he's dead somewhere. Hopefully not far.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mowin said:

@wolc123 how did her team do? Did they get the game in before it got dark? 

They were behind 3:0 before the one hour rain/thunder/tornado warning break.  They went back out under the lights to finish the last quarter and a half.  The final score was 5:0.  

She was a little sad with the loss, but happy they get to do a NY city tour with the team tomorrow.  I hope to catch the last few hours of daylight, for one left crossbow hunt at home tomorrow.

• Like 2

Call and txt sent to local deer search,will see if I get a response. Really chaps my ass!I owe it to the deer to do all I can.if I don't hear back I may even take another walk tomorrow morning before I call it quits.not the way I wanted to end the bow season, that's for sure.all the practice shooting and in the heat of the moment it's blown.i know we've all been through it,just venting..on a side note,very nice buck @ApexerER!!!!!!!!

• Like 3

5 hours ago, ApexerER said:

Thanks everyone, I'll put the story in the harvest thread. By far my biggest crossbow or archery deer. 9pt no brow tines

1113211414c.jpg

1113211412.jpg

I read your story in the harvest thread. Sounds like a rollercoaster of a day. I hope your buddy is okay.

• Like 2

I hunt 5 acres with about 3-4 houses in view of my 2 stands (suburban bow only) and this morning the neighborhood does were acting real strange. Yearlings were alone. 

Figuring some lockdown starting, I went back this afternoon around 330 and felt like bucks were hanging close knowing the does bed very close by. This buck I've seen a few times was bedded about 10 yds from my stand while the doe he was with browsed. I crawled to 20 yds and waited for what seemed like an eternity for him to stand up and move into a shooting lane. 

20211113_163347.jpg

20211113_160809.jpg

20211113_164756.jpg

• Like 48

Back up to the farm in a few. Had a decent buck cruising yesterday, but no shot opportunity. Got today and tomorrow left for bow season. Will continue to give it all I got. If anything, I've been persistent, if not successful. 

Good luck to all heading out!

• Like 11

Late start but I'm in.  Not a good morning so far, I was cranking up my crossbow, and keep in mind, I do not wear my prosthetic arm when I crossbow, or gun hunt.  Well I secure the crossbow with my left arm, and crank with my hand.  I somehow bumped the crank disengagement tooth, and the handle came out out of my hands grip, and unwound about 10-20 revolutions id say.  Each time the handle smashing the upper side of my hand, opposite side of palm.  Jenn put ice on my hand for 15-20 mins for it, and I am finally out.  Not going to lie, that had me hunched over, that hurt bad.  Not looking forward to later on.  Anyways, I open my house door, and i hear crash, crunch, snap! 5 does being chased hard by a wall mount size buck, probably an 8 pointer.  It was cool to see.  Anyways, be careful guys, dumb mistake on my part.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2