LIVE From The Woods 2021 Stories And Pictures Let's Have Em!

grampy

I figured I would check in. It’s been a grind of a season let alone our rutcation trip. A lot of our NY and OH ground have had issues, from dog walkers to crazy lady coming out along her border daily, to an Amish guy with a centerfire rifle in bow season in the middle of one of our farms. Cows getting out of their pastures and into the apple groves. You name it.

After the first two weeks in NY and one 50 yard encounter in Ohio finding a good buck in daylight had been hard. Ohio was 68-73 this past week and we had to leave for MO. As we left, the cold front came in opening things up. We drove through a horrible storm line and by Illinois the pics were rolling in from Ohio of bucks on their feet in light.

My back has also been acting up fierce. I generally tolerate it but have had to resort to “taking it easy” at times. Going to be spending time with the doc soon.

We rolled into MO Friday Midday in a snowstorm, no snow accumulated but it was snowing sideways in 30-40mph winds. We slammed two stands together got them hung and made it back to camp. Windchill of 15 degrees.

Saturday was dry but same 30mph winds. Sun rose and I could barely pay attention with everything blowing and moving around. I heard a grunt ahead of me in a down wind moment and then it picked back up blowing things sideways. Well, after five minutes I realized the grunt wasn’t ahead of me but to my left and the wind was carrying the sound. A buck snuck in within 20 yards and was moving by quick. Shoot or don’t shoot. Assessed the first good buck in close range in daylight in a while in a millisecond. I let the weight of the season go when I rang his bell. He never missed a stride but I hit him hard with his front left leg locked up and he disappeared over a knoll.

15 min go by and I start to contemplate the choice. Good buck, yes. Should have I taken him? Things you think about in the stand I guess. Then the wind died and left us with a bluebird morning and the light switch turned on…bucks everywhere. Including a 150” that came within 30 yards. Ended up seeing 9 bucks during the morning. I was a bit bummed yesterday but I’m happy with the choice with some time elapsed and content that at the end of the day, we got on deer quickly in an area we have little history with. Now I’m in support mode as my partner gets the good spots lol. Missouri is a special place, I’m sure he will punch one. 

Good luck all.

6B27C357-1DE0-4972-9AA6-D6645ED13BE3.jpeg

• Like 41

9 minutes ago, phade said:

I figured I would check in. It’s been a grind of a season let alone our rutcation trip. A lot of our NY and OH ground have had issues, from dog walkers to crazy lady coming out along her border daily, to an Amish guy with a centerfire rifle in bow season in the middle of one of our farms. Cows getting out of their pastures and into the apple groves. You name it.

After the first two weeks in NY and one 50 yard encounter in Ohio finding a good buck in daylight had been hard. Ohio was 68-73 this past week and we had to leave for MO. As we left, the cold front came in opening things up. We drove through a horrible storm line and by Illinois the pics were rolling in from Ohio of bucks on their feet in light.

My back has also been acting up fierce. I generally tolerate it but have had to resort to “taking it easy” at times. Going to be spending time with the doc soon.

We rolled into MO Friday Midday in a snowstorm, no snow accumulated but it was snowing sideways in 30-40mph winds. We slammed two stands together got them hung and made it back to camp. Windchill of 15 degrees.

Saturday was dry but same 30mph winds. Sun rose and I could barely pay attention with everything blowing and moving around. I heard a grunt ahead of me in a down wind moment and then it picked back up blowing things sideways. Well, after five minutes I realized the grunt wasn’t ahead of me but to my left and the wind was carrying the sound. A buck snuck in within 20 yards and was moving by quick. Shoot or don’t shoot. Assessed the first good buck in close range in daylight in a while in a millisecond. I let the weight of the season go when I rang his bell. He never missed a stride but I hit him hard with his front left leg locked up and he disappeared over a knoll.

15 min go by and I start to contemplate the choice. Good buck, yes. Should have I taken him? Things you think about in the stand I guess. Then the wind died and left us with a bluebird morning and the light switch turned on…bucks everywhere. Including a 150” that came within 30 yards. Ended up seeing 9 bucks during the morning. I was a bit bummed yesterday but I’m happy with the choice with some time elapsed and content that at the end of the day, we got on deer quickly in an area we have little history with. Now I’m in support mode as my partner gets the good spots lol. Missouri is a special place, I’m sure he will punch one. 

Good luck all.

6B27C357-1DE0-4972-9AA6-D6645ED13BE3.jpeg

Congrats thats a slob of a body on that buck nice rack.

Edited by Nytracker

Well I don't even know where to start. About a half hour after daybreak I had a doe and fawn come through with showers shortly after. I sat until 10 decided to pull a stand and move it. Got done with that still showers on and off so I figured screw it I'm already wet might better climb into a stand. I decided to hit another property so I went there climbed in the tree at 1:30 and it was sprinkling with some flurries mixed in at about 2:30 it had stopped. 15 minutes later I have 2 mature doe a button buck and doe fawn to my left at 35 yards just milling around when a doe comes in from my right and I hear a grunt. I grab the bow and out walks a heavy 8. I draw the bow and he is at 25 yards and I let it go. I don't remember ever hearing such a loud crack and the deer literally is knocked down and starts kicking and scrambling to get up. While this is happening I see my arrow and realize I've somehow shot him in the head. I grab another arrow but he has gotten up and stands just inside of a brush lot with no available shot for 20 minutes. He dropped my arrow while he was thrashing but looking through binoculars I could see I hit him above the eye and below the base of his antler. I get down just before dark and I still have no clue what happened. I went to where he stood in the brush and there was 5 or 6 spots where droplets of blood fell. The side of his face was pretty bloody though. I will go in the morning and see if there's any sign of him. I hate this feeling.

Hope you find him. If you got some penetration he should be dead, but the skull is thick…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Belo said:

Hope you find him. If you got some penetration he should be dead, but the skull is thick…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was looking at some of my euros last  night and there's just so many different scenarios. Unfortunately we had some showers last night and any blood that was there is gone so it just grinding through this thick brush now but not looking good. We did jump a big 10 that was on the shooter list just hoping he comes back now

• Like 1

Thanks to all, call is in to the taxidermist, I’ve only ever wanted 1 bear and likely will never shoot another. I’m guessing 180-200lbs. Not a monster my any means but perfect size for me. 
Let us know the specs when you get settled. Hero pic too...awesome accomplishment.

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Thanks to all, call is in to the taxidermist, I’ve only ever wanted 1 bear and likely will never shoot another. I’m guessing 180-200lbs. Not a monster my any means but perfect size for me. 

Awesome. Male or female? Full body, 3/4 or shoulder?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, chrisw said:

One BB came by, and heard a deer trotting through water in the swamp. I'm not sure how much longer I'm going to last. I don't have high hopes.

Sent from my moto g fast using Tapatalk

its a lock you shoot something tomorrow as my fantasy pics always has that person shoot something day after the week expires but you can shoot something today for me please

• Like 1

I am up and in for my last couple hours of crossbow season, trying a new stand in the front corner of my woods for the first time.  Hopefully, the rut is still in full swing and something shows up.

I counted 16 road kill deer on the edges of the highway, driving across the state, between NY and Wolcottsburg this morning. I also saw one big pressured looking doe standing about 50 yards off, just the other side of the Cohoctin river, looking like she wanted to cross but waiting for traffic.

DE850AA0-4817-49E3-A796-A4AEF828C40E.jpeg

• Like 1