LIVE From The Woods 2021 Stories And Pictures Let's Have Em!

grampy

The freezing rain drove me out of my new ladder stand in the woods.  I am in the box blind that I moved over by the corn now.  Hopefully, they will come looking for a shot of carbs around sunset. 

5F01B36C-9A44-4657-8E5C-040971CC99EF.jpeg

33872CD9-84F7-4362-B342-4F4D8886FF5D.jpeg

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 2

Bears nose is actually broken, can move his nose. Getting a shoulder mount with closed mouth. 160 dressed is Offical estimate. 

It’s actually much more difficult to do a closed mouth mount. This surprised me, but there was a whole thing on it during a recent meateater podcast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Memo: From the unofficial captain of "Group 1"

Well my archery season is officially over. Heading to New Mexico in the morning for work and I don't get back until midnight on Friday. I didn't see much from the bow stands this year but I'm still pretty excited about the start of gun season.

Activity on the back side of my property looks good and I have left it alone with the exception of hanging a stand and a few scouting walks.

Good luck to everyone trying to get it done this week. I'll be rooting for ya from out west.

• Like 3

The freezing rain drove me out of my new ladder stand in the woods.  I am in the box blind that I moved over by the corn now.  Hopefully, they will come looking for a shot of carbs around sunset. 

5F01B36C-9A44-4657-8E5C-040971CC99EF.thumb.jpeg.cfa617548291241f7de3f5d9f3505f32.jpeg
33872CD9-84F7-4362-B342-4F4D8886FF5D.thumb.jpeg.6b84abe5cb78dfb6c20798963375583b.jpeg

Love it. You always make me smile, never change!

• Like 4

It’s actually much more difficult to do a closed mouth mount. This surprised me, but there was a whole thing on it during a recent meateater podcast.

Hmmm... that's interesting. I've been doing taxidermy for 2 years but I've yet to do any open mouth mounts. From the videos I've watched and the research I've done it seems like open mouth is actually a lot more work. I know most taxidermist charge extra for it. Wondering why they say it's easier. You remember what episode it was? I'll definitely take a listen

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, 518BowSlayer said:

Hmmm... that's interesting. I've been doing taxidermy for 2 years but I've yet to do any open mouth mounts. From the videos I've watched and the research I've done it seems like open mouth is actually a lot more work. I know most taxidermist charge extra for it. Wondering why they say it's easier. You remember what episode it was? I'll definitely take a listen

Episode 289 I think

Relegated to the old barn/livestock pen on our property. Can watch from afar that last ridge and see if anything drops up and over to my partner. Also have some does bedding down in the coolies as they call them here. Doubt I’ll shoot one despite having a tag.

Neighbor in our camp shot a 160” this AM in the wind. Beauty of a buck.

The wind has been relentless here since we arrived Friday.

6AC66B08-1710-4D35-81AD-504524714406.png

Edited by phade

Episode 289 I think

Congrats on the bear Hockey! At the risk of derailment, I believe they were saying it is less common and there are fewer forms out there. I’m some cases, modifying the form may be necessary to do a closed mouth if the form was designed for open mouth.

I have two open mouth bears (both taken in the ADKS). One is a rug and the other a half body mount. I don’t recall even seeing a form back then with a closed mouth.

I hope you get to actually weigh it. In my opinion it is worth going to buy a scale to know for sure what it weighs.

Congrats again!

• Like 2

Congrats on the bear Hockey! At the risk of derailment, I believe they were saying it is less common and there are fewer forms out there. I’m some cases, modifying the form may be necessary to do a closed mouth if the form was designed for open mouth.

I have two open mouth bears (both taken in the ADKS). One is a rug and the other a half body mount. I don’t recall even seeing a form back then with a closed mouth.

I hope you get to actually weigh it. In my opinion it is worth going to buy a scale to know for sure what it weighs.

Congrats again!

That makes sense

Now that I think about it, i think they were referencing rugs, so maybe that matters?

I wanna say 295 or 296. It’s just in the beginning when they’re bull shitting.

Congrats again!

Yep that’s it. Steve was going to get his first rug with a closed mouth and he really liked it. His local guy said they don’t have forms for it and he has to modify it so it’s less common.

I had an awesome day today . I drew back twice on an eight.. I couldn't get him to stop . He and a doe zipped by me 5 times before the finally went behind me and caught wind of me . What a day  lost Count how many days I was out and seen nothing . I finally saw deer and drew on them . Just couldn't get hi. To stop I whistled and blah at him  nothing he wanted that tail. 

• Like 22