LIVE From The Woods 2021 Stories And Pictures Let's Have Em!

grampy

Glad you had a fun day.  Not all scrapes are created equal.  Sometimes a buck will make a scrape just because he is there and in the mood.  He might never come back to it.  A well established scrape with a licking branch above it is likely to be visited by other bucks and even sometimes some does.  Sort of a "community scrape".  These may be used year after year and sometimes I have no idea why that one particular spot is so desirable to them.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, josephmrtn said:

Took the wife out for her first sit of the season tonight while the kids were at the grandparents. An hour later she had her first and second deer tags ever punched! Made great shots on both.

IMG_4416-01.jpeg

20211114_173128.jpg

Way to go Mrs. Joe M!!!!!

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, josephmrtn said:

Took the wife out for her first sit of the season tonight while the kids were at the grandparents. An hour later she had her first and second deer tags ever punched! Made great shots on both.

IMG_4416-01.jpeg

20211114_173128.jpg

Nuisance deer? Great shooting reminds me of my days hunting the vineyard nuisance hunting.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, REDNECK4LIFE32 said:

Boy that's a clean shoulder how you butcher. You canning it?

I threw the shoulder blade in some water and simmered it. I’m leaving it in there and gonna Whiten it like my deer skulls. I’m gonna can a bunch and leave some in stew meat. Maybe some grind for tacos or something I can fully cook. 

4 minutes ago, Hock3y24 said:

I threw the shoulder blade in some water and simmered it. I’m leaving it in there and gonna Whiten it like my deer skulls. I’m gonna can a bunch and leave some in stew meat. Maybe some grind for tacos or something I can fully cook. 

Ive butcher alot of animals never a bear but I know alot of guys can it and do grinds burger and sausage maybe a roast or 2.

• Like 1

Had 2 does and a fawn come by around 4:25 pm, but no bucks in tow. They behaved more like it was mid October. I was also surprised how tolerant they were. All 3 passed within 10 yards downwind of me and I was only about 12' up and wind was maybe 5 mph.b7e4f65c62d996c19ede076f54be69be.jpg

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Well 4 guys, 2 dogs, 3hrs in a 3 acre brushlot and couldn't find any evidence of the deer anywhere. After the showers we had last night and the 5 to drops of blood to start with it was pretty much a body search. We searched the surrounding woods and ravine bottom as well and still nothing. I can still remember the last one I didn't recover in Wisconsin (the landowner found him in the spring and he taped at 168-5/8") and this one bothers me just as bad. I practice religiously and strive for clean and quick kill shots. I know alot of things can happen especially with  archery but it doesn't make it easier. The big 10 I saw early in the a.m. stuck around even with all the commotion in the woods, the neighboring land owner sent me a text at 4:30 saying a slob 10 was running a doe around the open field. Back in the tree tomorrow and try for redemption.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, bhunterED said:

Well 4 guys, 2 dogs, 3hrs in a 3 acre brushlot and couldn't find any evidence of the deer anywhere. After the showers we had last night and the 5 to drops of blood to start with it was pretty much a body search. We searched the surrounding woods and ravine bottom as well and still nothing. I can still remember the last one I didn't recover in Wisconsin (the landowner found him in the spring and he taped at 168-5/8") and this one bothers me just as bad. I practice religiously and strive for clean and quick kill shots. I know alot of things can happen especially with  archery but it doesn't make it easier. The big 10 I saw early in the a.m. stuck around even with all the commotion in the woods, the neighboring land owner sent me a text at 4:30 saying a slob 10 was running a doe around the open field. Back in the tree tomorrow and try for redemption.

This is the brushlot he went into after the shot. The field on the right is where the neighbor saw the 10 chasing the doe around.Screenshot_20211114-200828.thumb.jpg.1f177de5a74dd926b2a7f24aa5473822.jpg