LIVE From The Woods 2021 Stories And Pictures Let's Have Em!

grampy

Quick sit on the plot here at my house.  Checked the camera before I left.  Daylight pics of fawns, a decent buck after dark last Friday, a coyote this morning before I got in the blind.

I will take care of a few things around the house and head back to the farm around lunchtime.  Good luck all.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Yesterday I had terrible tracking conditions and tracks everywhere. Today u have PERFECT tracking snow and haven’t cut a fresh track yet between a 15 mile drive and a mile walk so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You'll cut a monster track at 10, and be dragging by 1!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cabin Fever said:

Just a lonely fawn wandered through so far.

Bob 

You win hunter of the year in my opinion whether you kill one or not.   You are the picture of perseverance.   I couldn't have sat 1/2 of the time you did.  I hope it pays off.  Not to mention letting that beautiful piebald walk when you haven't seen squat!

Edited by moog5050
  • Like 8

Sat for the morning hunt for the first time since opening day, been all afternoons so far.    Saw three doe at various times, all alone but no trackers.  Got down at 9am and started walking back.  Before I hit the field I always peek out to see if there is anything there.  There was….a buck trotting right to me.  Nice tall rack, maybe the 6 pointer I saw a couple of weeks ago.  There was a thick bush between me and him, but I could see him clearly, but no shot thru the bush.   I quickly nock an arrow and try to put the release on.  I must have tried 15 times to nock it and it kept slipping off, all the while the buck is trotting closer to me.  Finally, I get it on and look to see where the deer is - he is 15 yards away and staring at my position.  I look at his feet and he holds for 20 seconds or so, and then turns away and trots off.  I went back into the woods and grunted a few times, but he never showed again.

Fun encounter with no shot fired again, but I will be back out this afternoon! 

• Like 9

4 hours ago, Cabin Fever said:

From the looks of cams, lots of harassing and chasing going on last night. No real shooters that I saw,  but there should be a lot of scent to attract a cruising buck...hopefully. Packed up for an all day sit.

my cams were and still are very active this morning too. Now it's freezing rain so I wonder if maybe just movement before the front? Going to get in a stand this evening regardless!

• Like 1

Bob 
You win hunter of the year in my opinion whether you kill one or not.   You are the picture of perseverance.   I couldn't have sat 1/2 of the time you did.  I hope it pays off.  Not to mention letting that beautiful piebald walk when you haven't seen squat!

Thanks pal! I didn’t shoot my buck last year until Nov. 16th, so hoping I’m just a late bloomer!

On a positive note, my son is hunting a property about 8 miles away and he’s seen all kinds of rutting action this morning! He’s been at full draw 2 times, but the bucks just won’t stop chasing the does for a shot. They’ve run by as close as 10 yards! LOL He’s the only other sicko that I know personally that hunts more than I do! Hoping he scores today, but if not, it sure sounds like a hunt he’ll remember!

Good luck everyone!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

my cams were and still are very active this morning too. Now it's freezing rain so I wonder if maybe just movement before the front? Going to get in a stand this evening regardless!

My cams had pics of chasing from 10pm-4am, but dead afterwards. Dead, as in not a single pic after 4am. All within a small area too, like 3 acres! Exactly where I’m sitting now, in a strip between 2 bedding areas. Had a good feeling with all that activity, there would be some scent left around to bring bucks through. 11:00, but still just a fawn….

I’m back at it in 3S today. Likely a dark to dark. 33°, with 10-15mph winds. 645am sunrise, 615am legal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Currently in a dark to dark having the greatest bow hunt of my life in NY. After seeing 3 bucks Thursday morning, I see 4 today (3 different than Thursday).

Insane morning!

640am spike.Then 650am same tall spike with the big 7pt.

7-720am lots of chasing. I never saw the doe but saw the really wide 8pt, and a small/tight 5pt.

Of course the 5pt and spike walk into range. I took video under 10yds for the 5pt.

Then 725am I saw the big 7pt again not in range. Just grazing. None of these bucks looked twice at grunts or bleats.

Then nothing till 950am when I saw 8pt chasing doe at 55yds. They didn’t come Closer but then spike did and 5pt did between 10-11am. Again took awesome videos under 10yds including the 5pt at 3yds. They were just nose to ground smelling everything.

514f42928adb61cbb9bc6dff588e76dc.png
9e366375582d8973e9f1948b0b453472.png
4db9f690fdd600007cecb4d17443d1ff.png

• Like 25

Well, my all day sit didn’t go as planned! LOL My son texted me before lunch and said he got a shot at one of the bucks that was chasing does around his stand. Told me not to leave my stand, wanting me to score today. It was more important for me to go be of assistance AND to share in the experience with him. God only knows how many times we’ll be able to share in the experience together, so I headed over. He took the lead and the buck was piled up in ~60 yards! Ran into some pines or my son would have heard and seen him go down. He’s been on vacation for the past 2 weeks and today was his last day off! LOL

Got the buck loaded and I was able to be back in the stand by 2:45! Nice!!

65c260befd792d4b44bc9f399dc56ab2.jpg

Worth every minute going to help your son.....my Dad would leave his hunt in a heartbeat to help and I will do the same for my boys one day!! Well Done Cabin fever......you will be paid back 19 fold with a monster of your own!

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Currently in a dark to dark having the greatest bow hunt of my life in NY. After seeing 3 bucks Thursday morning, I see 4 today (3 different than Thursday).

Insane morning!

640am spike.Then 650am same tall spike with the big 7pt.

7-720am lots of chasing. I never saw the doe but saw the really wide 8pt, and a small/tight 5pt.

Of course the 5pt and spike walk into range. I took video under 10yds for the 5pt.

Then 725am I saw the big 7pt again not in range. Just grazing. None of these bucks looked twice at grunts or bleats.

Then nothing till 950am when I saw 8pt chasing doe at 55yds. They didn’t come Closer but then spike did and 5pt did between 10-11am. Again took awesome videos under 10yds including the 5pt at 3yds. They were just nose to ground smelling everything.

514f42928adb61cbb9bc6dff588e76dc.png
9e366375582d8973e9f1948b0b453472.png
4db9f690fdd600007cecb4d17443d1ff.png

The awesome thing about archery is that the best hunts don’t always result in a kill. Non-hunters will never understand.

• Like 9

Well, my all day sit didn’t go as planned! LOL My son texted me before lunch and said he got a shot at one of the bucks that was chasing does around his stand. Told me not to leave my stand, wanting me to score today. It was more important for me to go be of assistance AND to share in the experience with him. God only knows how many times we’ll be able to share in the experience together, so I headed over. He took the lead and the buck was piled up in ~60 yards! Ran into some pines or my son would have heard and seen him go down. He’s been on vacation for the past 2 weeks and today was his last day off! LOL

Got the buck loaded and I was able to be back in the stand by 2:45! Nice!!

65c260befd792d4b44bc9f399dc56ab2.jpg

That’s awesome. I can’t wait fir my boys to be old enough. I’ll be more pumped for them then any buck I ever kill.

That said I saw your name and that pic and have to say I was bummed it wasn’t you.

• Like 2