LIVE From The Woods 2021 Stories And Pictures Let's Have Em!

grampy

Well just got back from [mention=8279]Swamp_bucks[/mention]. What a trip! Evan is a great guy and his knowledge of deer hunting is phenomenal. He was very welcoming I visited his house a couple times. He found me a lake house that was great. We went out to eat a couple time. Let me tell you what his wife makes a great chili. He came through I seen deer and got my first archery shot opportunity but I shot in front of it. He gave me some great advice and even went to search cuz he was 60 yards behind me and heard a thwack. He offered me a good spot Friday night but wind wasn't right and had a white out. He also helped me setup my stand in a great spot. Opening day was like no other I seen 32 deer came through where I was at. I had a shot opportunity at a big 6 or 8. Shot he stood between 100-125 yards pulled the trigger click re racked click he was still there moved alittle repacked again click. So he got away. Got to drag out one hell of a buck Evan got. Long drag with help of a few friends. Let me tell you what he's got some great friends. After helping drag the buck to the truck. I went back on stand I'm glad I did mid day was awesome deer were moving like crazy. I couldn't find any horns. 23 deer come through. I sat till I could in my stand 330 then got down legs and hip killing me surprised I made it back to truck. Went back to the lake house had a few beers and debated launching the rifle in lake lol. Hunted today 515 to 930 no deer but a hunting party member shot a buck. The hunting, hospitality,food,friends and his family were fantastic. His friends offered me to hunt more midday but had to check out of house and take a ride to the taxidermist. Thanks Evan for the offer to comeback next year. Memories to last a lifetime.

I’ll venture a guess and say you’re shooting a Remington 7400-740,etc. they don’t call them jamomatics for nothing.

Take the forend off and I’ll bet the spring in there is dirty or rusty. If it’s not then check your magazine lips, they’re easy to bend if dropped and that will make them not feed/cycle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

Out since 6 on a dark to dark with the boy. 30⁰ and fine snow is falling, wish we woke up to some accumulation but perhaps tomorrow will check that box. 

Looking for a nice size doe so we can head home and cut them up.

No deer seen so far.

Edited by XGX7PM
Typo

10 hours ago, Hock3y24 said:

I can’t explain this year, been one for the record books for us. Thankful to be able to help some local families out with some meat. 

Are you giving the meat directly to the familys or is there an organization that you are donating to? I have passed on a few doe because my freezer is still pretty full but we have an over population of doe in our area.

Slowest opening weekend in my history of hunting.

New to us property, we had 3 guys spread out around our 42 acres. In 16hours on stand we seen a total of 5 deer. 

My uncle next door had 12 hunters on 140 acrs and managed a small 6 point and a decent 9. Last 5 mins of light Saturday evening. 

3 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I’ll venture a guess and say you’re shooting a Remington 7400-740,etc. they don’t call them jamomatics for nothing.

Take the forend off and I’ll bet the spring in there is dirty or rusty. If it’s not then check your magazine lips, they’re easy to bend if dropped and that will make them not feed/cycle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes I have the Remington 7400 calibered in 30-06. I will try that and see what's going on. Also seems like when I pull back to load it doesn't lock in. Sometimes when I go to unload it's like jammed where I can't pull it back by had have to tap on it to get it to release.

2 minutes ago, REDNECK4LIFE32 said:

Yes I have the Remington 7400 calibered in 30-06. I will try that and see what's going on. Also seems like when I pull back to load it doesn't lock in. Sometimes when I go to unload it's like jammed where I can't pull it back by had have to tap on it to get it to release.

I also have a 742 woodsmaster. They can be finicky. I would recommend using a "bore snake" from chamber to muzzle to clean it rather than a traditional push rod. It helps prevent dirt from getting in the action.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Judoka95 said:

Are you giving the meat directly to the familys or is there an organization that you are donating to? I have passed on a few doe because my freezer is still pretty full but we have an over population of doe in our area.

Consider the Venison Donation Coalition Venison Donation Coalition, Inc.

Check out the "Find a Processor" tab to find one near you. Might want to call to confirm they are still participating first. Just drop the deer off and they take care of the rest! Goes to a good cause feeding those in need.

• Like 5

Took a walk to the outhouse, had a shooter doe on the other side of my windbreak at about 30 yards. Couldn't shoot as behind her was the road and the next nearest structure.

Tried to sneak around on her to get a shot from below up in to the hill but she quickly crossed the road. 

Walked down to my right of way at the other end of my property and bumped one tiny doe up in to posted land.

Currently back in the tower, listening to about a dozen crows enjoying the 8 pt's gut pile from opening day.

Screenshot_20211122-123146_Gallery.jpg

• Like 1