LIVE From The Woods 2021 Stories And Pictures Let's Have Em!

grampy

1 hour ago, BowmanMike said:

went for a still hunt and had two does at 10 yds. I figured the first was on the small side,she caught my scent and turned away, then another came right to me. I fired but the muzzleloader misfired,only the primer went off. Of course she heard it and left. I am not sure what the problem was,maybe it was the breech plug,I bought a replacement one and couldn't remember which one I usually use.

I keep seeing deer closer during gun season than I did during bow,how weird is that. 

Quick pop another primer in ? I had that happen last day of ml few years ago on a really nice 8 at 25 yards. I panicked and forgot to pop another primer in. I grab Rod and pull breech plug and cleared it then clanking Rod on platform of stand. He was still standing there til the instant I raised gun again. 

1 hour ago, biggamefish said:

Nothing tonight. No shots heard either

I shot, just after 4pm tonight. Over the hill from ya at the farm.

BIG buck. Small hole, that I tried to get the bullet through the cover. Didn't see any sign of a hit. Will be going in the morning to look more thoroughly. 

• Like 13

1 hour ago, Lawdwaz said:

Muzzle brakes on a deer gun?

Come on, man up!!

My 870 has a fully rifled barrel with porting and a bushnell banner up top. It loves copper solid sabots.

Have "shotgun only" permission to a 100 acre chunk, that's my work around. 

52 minutes ago, Cabin Fever said:

Would be nice to have a little snow on the ground tomorrow. Just NOT enough to break out the shovel or God forbid the snowblower yet though!

I'll second that. Headed out to back side of my property tomorrow morning, wind looks perfect for the new stand and a few inches of snow would be great.

1 hour ago, REDNECK4LIFE32 said:

Did you weigh him?

No just took him to the processor who was severely backed but does a great job.  Didn’t want to bother him to weigh him right then but would guess 160lbs a pretty stout 3 yr old me thinks.  
Here’s a snapshot of how busy they are after 1 day. 

B1FA41F1-7A17-4C90-A44F-01335077D4F4.jpeg

17A908F2-000D-487B-A121-EF5154918672.jpeg

9088191C-E27A-4C7A-B4F7-F82273BAF817.jpeg

C3AA208D-23A3-468A-828C-80EEC9FADA9C.jpeg

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, grampy said:

BIG buck. Small hole, that I tried to get the bullet through the cover. Didn't see any sign of a hit. Will be going in the morning to look more thoroughly. 

I hope you connected tonight and just didn't see the sign. Good luck in the morning.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

Note to self:. Need to Windex the windows in the blind.  First one is my my favorite half tame, ho doe.  She was hanging around the cabin Saturday afternoon after I went out, I'm told.  Must have smelled the tarsals on that buck.

IMG_20211122_161800.jpg

IMG_20211122_161727.jpg

RainX is much more effective on the  windows inside too it reduces fogging saw it on a hunting show it works just have to reapply before hunting season and usually lasts.  

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, grampy said:

Hoping you connected and find him piled up close by!

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Lomax said:

No just took him to the processor who was severely backed but does a great job.  Didn’t want to bother him to weigh him right then but would guess 160lbs a pretty stout 3 yr old me thinks.  
Here’s a snapshot of how busy they are after 1 day. 

B1FA41F1-7A17-4C90-A44F-01335077D4F4.jpeg

17A908F2-000D-487B-A121-EF5154918672.jpeg

9088191C-E27A-4C7A-B4F7-F82273BAF817.jpeg

C3AA208D-23A3-468A-828C-80EEC9FADA9C.jpeg

Seeing these pictures makes me glad that we cut up our own deer. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

Best of luck! If you need a hand I can be there in an hour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, grampy said:

Good luck in the morning.

• Thanks 1

20211122_105339.thumb.jpg.2ca050cee5c4d554d2195415083f8925.jpg

My hunting partner got a buck this morning. Two year old 8pt. He's very happy to get one after the dismal bow season we've had! And of course I'm happy for him too!

I'm getting closer. Have seen deer every sit since Saturday. All very close to, or in thick cover. But no shooter seen. 

Up with a kidney stone last night, so I got a late start. Helped my partner get his buck hung and skinned. Then headed out myself around noon.

Hunted a ground blind that hasn't been hunted in year's. Had a hunch? Just after 4 I'm thinking I won't see anything here. I turn to my right, and notice something that I didn't remember seeing before? Looked like a big dark blob. I soon figured out it was a deer, and it was looking at me about 50 yards away. Could see its body facing me, but not the head very well, because it was in the thick stuff. When it did move, to go deeper in the nasties, I thought I saw rack but seriously couldn't be sure it it was doe ears, or antler?? When I did see it was a very nice buck, I had no shot!!! So I got up from the blind and started stalking him. I could see him walking, so I tried to parallel him, all the time searching for a lane to shoot! Finally, after stalking 40 or 50 yards through brush myself, around, and through blowdowns. I came to a tree and leaned into it, looking for a hole to shoot through! I found one just ahead of where the buck was walking. But it was a very small one. I figured I'd either drop him, or miss him completely. The buck was now about 75 yards away in THICK cover, about to walk over a slight dip and out of sight. When he hit the opening, I held a steady rest against the tree and fired. At the shot, he whirled 180 degrees and took off fast. I lost sight of him quickly. By now the first shades, of the grey light of twilight was starting to fall in this normally dark place in the woods.

I went after just a few short minutes to where the buck stood at the shot. I could see the scuffed up leaves where he whirled around. I looked for hair or blood, any sign of a hit. I didn't see any. I followed the direction he went for 60 yards or so very slowly looking for any sign of a hit. Nothing. But...by now true darkness was falling. 

After texting my buddy, we decided the best thing to do would be to back out and check more thoroughly in the morning. After looking through that small hole I shot through, my gut tells me my shot was likely deflected. But I also clearly saw him in my scope. I don't normally take shots like this. I know better. But my senses were keen as I stalked him on his turf. He's likely out there looking for another girlfriend right now. But I will be 100% sure of the outcome of or encounter tomorrow. 

Sorry for the long post. Writing it helped me sort out everything in my mind.

• Like 29

14 minutes ago, grampy said:

My hunting partner got a buck this morning. Two year old 8pt. He's very happy to get one after the dismal bow season we've had! And of course I'm happy for him too!

I'm getting closer. Have seen deer every sit since Saturday. All very close to, or in thick cover. But no shooter seen. 

Up with a kidney stone last night, so I got a late start. Helped my partner get his buck hung and skinned. Then headed out myself around noon.

Hunted a ground blind that hasn't been hunted in year's. Had a hunch? Just after 4 I'm thinking I won't see anything here. I turn to my right, and notice something that I didn't remember seeing before? Looked like a big dark blob. I soon figured out it was a deer, and it was looking at me about 50 yards away. Could see its body facing me, but not the head very well, because it was in the thick stuff. When it did move, to go deeper in the nasties, I thought I saw rack but seriously couldn't be sure it it was doe ears, or antler?? When I did see it was a very nice buck, I had no shot!!! So I got up from the blind and started stalking him. I could see him walking, so I tried to parallel him, all the time searching for a lane to shoot! Finally, after stalking 40 or 50 yards through brush myself, around, and through blowdowns. I came to a tree and leaned into it, looking for a hole to shoot through! I found one just ahead of where the buck was walking. But it was a very small one. I figured I'd either drop him, or miss him completely. The buck was now about 75 yards away in THICK cover, about to walk over a slight dip and out of sight. When he hit the opening, I held a steady rest against the tree and fired. At the shot, he whirled 180 degrees and took off fast. I lost sight of him quickly. By now the first shades, of the grey light of twilight was starting to fall in this normally dark place in the woods.

I went after just a few short minutes to where the buck stood at the shot. I could see the scuffed up leaves where he whirled around. I looked for hair or blood, any sign of a hit. I didn't see any. I followed the direction he went for 60 yards or so very slowly looking for any sign of a hit. Nothing. But...by now true darkness was falling. 

After texting my buddy, we decided the best thing to do would be to back out and check more thoroughly in the morning. After looking through that small hole I shot through, my gut tells me my shot was likely deflected. But I also clearly saw him in my scope. I don't normally take shots like this. I know better. But my senses were keen as I stalked him on his turf. He's likely out there looking for another girlfriend right now. But I will be 100% sure of the outcome of or encounter tomorrow. 

Sounds like a very exciting hunt nonetheless! I hope you find him dead in the morning. Good luck. Congratulations to your buddy on the great buck. 

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, grampy said:

Out of likes but I enjoyed reading the story. I have a feeling you’ll be seeing him again soon, and with a different outcome!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Sigh of relief.....I am now off til next Monday. Needed a vacation. Still not an official whole week but I haven't taken a whole week off in over 10 years.  Going to hunt and just enjoy it.  Hopefully even run into a buck out there.  

Couple of inches of snow Tonite too. Wed and Thurs weather looks great. 

Wait. I had you in pool last week.  Sigh lol 

• Like 1

Sigh of relief.....I am now off til next Monday. Needed a vacation. Still not an official whole week but I haven't taken a whole week off in over 10 years.  Going to hunt and just enjoy it.  Hopefully even run into a buck out there.  
Couple of inches of snow Tonite too. Wed and Thurs weather looks great. 

Sometimes ya just gotta take a day or two to recharge! You’ve been going at it hard this season! I’m sure your efforts will pay off!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Swamp_bucks said:

What did you have done with the bear?

Asked for a shoulder mount like this one I found on the Internet, he is giving me the skull so i can clean it myself and saving the claws for my son, he wants to make necklaces. 

FBA4BFFD-B5CA-4F76-87F9-DB010775F3A3.jpeg

• Like 12