LIVE From The Woods 2021 Stories And Pictures Let's Have Em!

grampy

So I make it out for an afternoon hunt. walking in a jump a deer. Looking right in the sun can't see anything. Drop to the ground get behind my climber for shade relief and boom buck walking over the property line!!!!!!!!! He stops 20-30 yards in and is just eating. No care in the world. He just ate is way out of my dreams!!!!  Hopefully he circles back around!

At least I saw a deer.

Edited by biggamefish
  • Like 3

Man what a change in weather. Cold and snow to warm and sun. Not sure what to think with regards to how it’ll effect deer. Sometimes swings help, sometimes they don’t. I do know that all the neighbors here have been shooting a LOT and that doesn’t help.

I also know that I can’t kill them on the couch!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, Belo said:

Man what a change in weather. Cold and snow to warm and sun. Not sure what to think with regards to how it’ll effect deer. Sometimes swings help, sometimes they don’t. I do know that all the neighbors here have been shooting a LOT and that doesn’t help.

I also know that I can’t kill them on the couch!

I can't kill them from this office, that is for dang sure. Blah! Three days in the office and no hunting has me ready to quit work forever LOL! Getting out tomorrow for the first 90 min - two hours at least in AM. 

• Like 3

Wow, very humbling morning!

705 saw a doe coming in, watched her for 10 minutes to make sure she didn’t have a boy friend. In that time she had made it to 25yds. I was on the ground and with a puffy wind I knew she wouldn’t be there long so I took a quartering to shot, felt steady with elbow on my knee, gun went off with the cross hairs exactly where I wanted them. I shot her with my 450 bushmaster shooting Remington 260gn accutips.

At the shot she spun and ran away appearing fine for the 20yds I could see her.

Gave her a bit and started looking around 8, at 10 my brother came over and started helping. We couldn’t find hair or anything where she was standing. And started grid searching in the swamp and ravine in the direction she went. At around noon I was walking a ravine 90 degrees to my left of where I was when I shot her and found her dead 50yds from where I was sitting.

I hit her in the hair I was aiming at on the point of her shoulder, Both lungs were mush, bullet was in the hide behind 2nd to last rib.

I knew with 100% certainty that I didn’t miss her but it was hard to keep that confidence with zero sign of a hit. After I found her I figured out why she didn’t bleed much at all, I was shooting down on her a little so I held a little high on the shoulder. The entry wound was plugged with lung chunks so the only blood that she leaked came from her nose/mouth with no exit. The fact that she did a 180 from where I saw her running made it even harder.

I guess the moral of the story is don’t give up after you shoot. I feel most people would have given up and thought they missed after 4hrs of looking with zero blood.

Very educational story. I have had numerous broadhead wounds plug, but never a gun that’s wild. I do tend to see a lot less bleeding with gun though as bullets will tear and broadheads cut.

Are those acutips hollow points?

4 hours ago, Steuben Jerry said:

This one is looking like a clean miss. What was “a head moving” seems more like his escape through the goldenrod. No hair or blood at the site. I could see where the buck and does ran through the mowed field in the disturbed frost. I followed that for about 250 yds. No sign of a hit deer. Got two people grid searching, and I came back for warmer clothes and will go back out to help.

She was sure he dropped, but I’m convinced it was a clean miss. I think the antlers she saw was him looping around downhill through the goldenrod to join the does that bolted together as a group. Goldenrod is still 5-6 ft high, and if he was down and thrashing, he really wouldn’t be visible from her perspective. The adjacent mowed field was very frosty and I could see where it was freshly disturbed with deer running in the direction she saw them go. While two were grid searching for sign, I followed that for 250 yds until they got to the woods, and another 100+ yds in until the frost disappeared. Zero sign. No hair, no blood. No indication of a hit at the shot site or within a wide grid of it. Three of us looked for 4 hours, and two of us for another hour. Didn’t even see a hair.

After we all went back to the house, I went back out with a drone and flew a grid over that field of golden rod. (To any DEC that may be reading this, the search was over, I wasn’t hunting, I’m tagged out unless I get a consignment tag, and all guns were back at the house 1/2 mile away), so I guess we gave it a thorough go. She’s pretty bummed. Said it was a nice buck and she’s never missed or not recovered one in 12 years of hunting. I keep telling her that record is a whole lot better than mine! It happens. And a clean miss on a good buck is better than wounding him. She knows all that but still very bummed out about it. I do know that feeling. More than once.

She’s back in the stand that gave up two bucks in the last 5 days. My wife still has a doe tag that she can consign to her. Steph doesn’t want the tag, she wants a buck. She’s here til mid day Friday, so we’ll see if she changes her mind. Hate when my kid is so bummed.

Very educational story. I have had numerous broadhead wounds plug, but never a gun that’s wild. I do tend to see a lot less bleeding with gun though as bullets will tear and broadheads cut.

Are those acutips hollow points?

I’ve seen them plug with guts but never with lung. They are a hollow point with a plastic tip.

Bullet performed perfectly, when I get it cleaned up I’ll post a pic and the weight. After I gutted her and examined the wounds I’m 99% certain if I was shooting a cartridge in the upper 2000’s fps range I don’t think she would have taken a step.

Decided to try something different tonight. Cams aren’t showing squat in the woods near my stands. The farmer on the bordering property cut one pass through the standing corn with the combine, then quit a couple weeks ago. Not sure if it was too wet, had equipment problems or what. Thought it might be worth a shot to watch along the corn and that swath, incase something wanders in or out of the corn. I’ve gotten pics of my target 10pt here, but pulled that cam the day before the gun opener. Worth a shot and the wind is perfect.

• Like 2

Buddy stacked a few today from my stand, he’s lucky I let him have it lol. I saw a few doe but pretty far off I wasn’t riskin it.

side note, a friend killed a 140 class buck and I’m doing the euro right now. This deer is OLD. 205 lbs dressed.

2DB4464E-1D6E-4AD6-B2ED-DA39B6514B95.jpeg

F0E49333-FC56-409D-BA6D-9A69553FD7DE.jpeg

• Like 12

Buddy stacked a few today from my stand, he’s lucky I let him have it lol. I saw a few doe but pretty far off I wasn’t riskin it.
side note, a friend killed a 140 class buck and I’m doing the euro right now. This deer is OLD. 205 lbs dressed.
2DB4464E-1D6E-4AD6-B2ED-DA39B6514B95.thumb.jpeg.6756e212f76faec33ab3e031e774cde1.jpeg
F0E49333-FC56-409D-BA6D-9A69553FD7DE.thumb.jpeg.f46feb09e79fdf3702ac4e0446d3eeb3.jpeg

Where do you hunt? I’m just Gunna buy some land by you

• Like 3

I’ve seen them plug with guts but never with lung. They are a hollow point with a plastic tip.

Bullet performed perfectly, when I get it cleaned up I’ll post a pic and the weight. After I gutted her and examined the wounds I’m 99% certain if I was shooting a cartridge in the upper 2000’s fps range I don’t think she would have taken a step.

Yeah same man, always guts. Lung is textbook. Crazy.

If it’s brown it’s down? 
DDE92D4D-F656-49D1-AAED-2244DC489E4B.thumb.jpeg.3e2b5cd39c1e1cdfc00abf9129d4759f.jpeg
Woohoo! Pic just sent from her. I don’t think she’s still bummed, lol.
I’ll wait til dark in 15 mins and go help her with it!
This stand just won’t cool off!
CDB5A57A-094E-479B-88E9-B97974489892.thumb.jpeg.95673495376ee6ed87b724351e8a4cb9.jpeg
Rename that stand to "Straight Money"!!
That sucker produces!!

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1