LIVE From The Woods 2021 Stories And Pictures Let's Have Em!

grampy

Well wife missed a buck behind the tower. Had two misfires with factory Hornady American Whitetail 139 interlocks. Rife went off on the third shell but she was so frazzled i think she rushed it. Seems like a good hit in the primer but without proper measurements its anyones guess. This happened last year to me on a big white coyote. I completely stripped the bolt last year and used the proper lube. Thought it was a bad box of ammo. Now im not so sure. I have a few other brands i can try but i have zero confidence in that gun until i know whats going on. The federal and Remington ammo i have the primers are almost flush, the Hornady are recessed. Ill bring ammo and gun to my gunsmith tomorrow and have him look at it. I guess she will have to use another rifle in the meantime. This sucks because before the season i shot half the box and they all went boom. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, SpacemanSpiff said:

Well wife missed a buck behind the tower. Had two misfires with factory Hornady American Whitetail 139 interlocks. Rife went off on the third shell but she was so frazzled i think she rushed it. Seems like a good hit in the primer but without proper measurements its anyones guess. This happened last year to me on a big white coyote. I completely stripped the bolt last year and used the proper lube. Thought it was a bad box of ammo. Now im not so sure. I have a few other brands i can try but i have zero confidence in that gun until i know whats going on. The federal and Remington ammo i have the primers are almost flush, the Hornady are recessed. Ill bring ammo and gun to my gunsmith tomorrow and have him look at it. I guess she will have to use another rifle in the meantime. This sucks because before the season i shot half the box and they all went boom. 

I to had issues with that ammo now I just use the super performance or precision hunter ammo

1 minute ago, silent death said:

I to had issues with that ammo now I just use the super performance or precision hunter ammo

I have a few boxes of the precision hunter stuff. If all is well with the gun ill try that. I bought them last year when i had the issues. Just sucks because i have so much of the other ammo. I have had this gun for 7-8 years and its all i have shot. 

EEA0B37F-31C2-4891-BE4F-2010C76424A9.jpeg

• Like 1

Strip the bolt and use break clean in and around firing pin, NEVER put oil or grease in/around firing pin. My guess is some grease or oil is around your firing pin and making it sticky on the cold.

You’ll never have an issue when your practicing or sighting in because the guns coming from a warm house and it’s generally warmer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Strip the bolt and use break clean in and around firing pin, NEVER put oil or grease in/around firing pin. My guess is some grease or oil is around your firing pin and making it sticky on the cold.

You’ll never have an issue when your practicing or sighting in because the guns coming from a warm house and it’s generally warmer.

I did that last year. Left no lube in there to my knowledge. I cant imagine what else it could be tho. Im going to strip it again tonight thanks for the tip

Edited by SpacemanSpiff

I did that last year. Left no lube in there to my knowledge. I cant imagine what else it could be tho. Im going to strip it again tonight thanks for the tip

It sounds textbook of lube in the firing pin channel to me. Before I brought it to a gunsmith I would double check.

• Like 2

All quiet in 8H this afternoon. Stay warm and dry and enjoy your Thanksgiving dinner with family and friends. Know that somewhere out there there’s a deer hunter doing their best to keep the deer population in check. Doe hunting only for me now but nothing moving in my area. Not a single shot heard. 

image.jpg