LIVE From The Woods 2021 Stories And Pictures Let's Have Em!

grampy

Just before dark, I saw 2 does bolt out of the corn and run across the neighbor's property. They waited until the combine only had 3-4 passes left before they ran out. Really surprised that's all I saw come out! Another bordering neighbor was out as well hoping to see something spooked out of the corn, but he didn't see anything.

• Sad 1

I hunted gman/Greg's today. Did a very cold all day sit. I seen 7 deer. 2 small bucks 2 doe 2 button bucks one unknown and a bobcat.  I seen everything between 11&2.

The one doe was huge and broadside at 15 yards to bad most people got debited doe tags for the area this year.  Sure was a cold but relaxing day.

• Like 7

I had planned 8 hunts over this 4 day holiday weekend, but it looks like I will only make 4.  I didn’t see any deer at home for the 3rd consecutive time Thanksgiving morning, so I was in no hurry to get back out there after the big meal.  

Nothing seen over at my folks house on a Friday morning, from the stand that I had seen 5 from on the opener.  I also saw a scrawny, small racked 4 pointer from my afternoon stand over there on the opener.  The single buck that showed up there 5 minutes after sunset this Friday was a keeper.  

Now we have enough meat for at least a year and a half, so not much motivation for me to hunt today.  I did walk back to the scene of Friday night’s “deerslaying” to grab the seat cushion I left back there, my spent slug casing, and to check out the gut pile.  Nothing has found it yet.

I need to take my daughter to the train station tomorrow morning, then go to church with my wife.  I will hit my far back woods stand and try for an antlerless deer for the 12-5 shift.  If it is a mature doe, I will keep the heart and tenderloins and see if my brother in law wants the rest.  If not, I will donate it to the venison coalition.  If it is a button buck, I will butcher it the next couple days and find space for it in our freezers.  

I need to save room in them for the big guy, who is getting cut up next Monday after skinning next Sunday.  The aging temperature in the garage looks like it will be just right all week.  He should be pretty tasty, because it looks like he was eating lots of corn.  Good luck to all those out there hunting tomorrow.

AD5D52F7-21A7-4839-B50F-BB1D87A76452.jpeg

Had too sit this season out...had severe case of Lymes which put me in hospital for 3 weeks and visits to VA also.  So, now after about 3 months from all meds for all the stuff , feeling much better---but it was hell and back 100 times, wouldn't wish it on anybody.

So, wanted to thank all you guys for the posts of great pics, looks like some real beauties, but seems like nowhere near the hunters or harvests as past years- my guess is just youngsters not learning about hunting, ticks, sick deer.   I only hunt deer ( over the last 50 yrs)---usually got what I wanted each year---had acess  to over 150 acres-my Dad and I only hunted there -Hudson Valley area...We had a gun store and trap range for 40 years after we were both out of military---always all kind of hunting and shots heard.

Never heard a single shot fired all season-What say y'all???

• Like 5

6 hours ago, halfnelson said:

Had too sit this season out...had severe case of Lymes which put me in hospital for 3 weeks and visits to VA also.  So, now after about 3 months from all meds for all the stuff , feeling much better---but it was hell and back 100 times, wouldn't wish it on anybody.

So, wanted to thank all you guys for the posts of great pics, looks like some real beauties, but seems like nowhere near the hunters or harvests as past years- my guess is just youngsters not learning about hunting, ticks, sick deer.   I only hunt deer ( over the last 50 yrs)---usually got what I wanted each year---had acess  to over 150 acres-my Dad and I only hunted there -Hudson Valley area...We had a gun store and trap range for 40 years after we were both out of military---always all kind of hunting and shots heard.

Never heard a single shot fired all season-What say y'all???

Sorry to hear about your illness  and thanks for your service.   We drove thru that area a few times this fall and it looks very nice.  Our eldest daughter goes to Purchase university and we stopped by West Point, with our youngest,  to check that out.  If only they had a women’s field hockey team, she would have pursued that more. 

Neither of our teenage daughters has shown much interest in hunting, other than  consuming enough venison to require 3-4 average sized deer for the last 10 or so years.  The pursuit of meat (they really like venison tacos) has kept me from being much of a “trophy hunter”.

I did notice less shots than usual, out here in WNY, this year.  I have not seen a deer at my place, near Lockport, since the start of crossbow season, but have seen good numbers and taken a couple at my parents, near Alden.  

My extended family has been hunting Allegheny state park for the last 70 years or so, for opening weekend of gun, and they ask me to go every year (it’s been 37 years since I went with them).  10 of them went this year (8 hunted) and they saw only 6 deer.  One cousin got a shot at a small antlered buck, but he missed. 

My oldest first cousin, who now lives in GA, stopped in to give me the scoop from their trip and check out my buck yesterday.  He is up for a few more days, so I signed one of my dmp’s for him to use if he wanted and offered him what has been one of my better stands at home.  He don’t know if he will have time to hunt any more. 

I was hunting with his dad (was also our next door neighbor and my godfather, who just past away recently) 39 years ago in Allegheny state  park, when I killed my first deer (a button buck on a party permit).  My uncle kept talking about that shot until the day he died.  

His son and I were talking about how many shots were heard on opening day years ago, and how that has diminished greatly lately, both around home and down at Allegheny state park.

I still remember that first deer like it was yesterday.  A pair of antlerless ones came barreling down a hill full tilt thru the woods.  I got on the front one and led it like a rabbit, timing my shot for when it reached an opening about 40 yards away.  It folded up just like a downed pheasant at my shot, which struck thru both front shoulders.  

The trailing deer skidded to a stop, turned and froze about 20 yards from us.  I swung my barrel towards it, but my uncle yelled “no”  (we only had one party permit).    My dad got in some type of dispute with his brother and we stopped going on that trip a few years later. 

They go more for the “comeraderie”, card playing and such and there has been years when I have killed more deer at home on opening weekend than the party of 10-16 guys took at the park.

On a couple years, when they were skunked, I provided them venison for their annual “planning party”.  They might be looking for some again this year, which thankfully, I should be able to provide.  

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

Enjoying a quiet cold morning on stand. Deer seemed to move well yesterday based on cameras so hopefully getting a mid season shuffle bringing some new shooters around. Going to start shifting back to food sources as rut peters out. Good luck to all out today 

• Like 2