LIVE From The Woods 2021 Stories And Pictures Let's Have Em!

grampy

16 hours ago, Splitear said:

Thanks. Hardest I’ve ever worked getting a deer out. I had to drag across a swamp, pull him across a creek, and then out of the woods. I’m bushed,  but he is now safely in the hands of the processor :)  

I shot a nice buck in Mississippi. It was right at legal light and he ran down a 6' wide and 10' deep crevasse and up the other side. I was already at the bottom of a steep ravine. Luckily the deer are smaller down south, but he wasn't small. 

I ended up having to toss him down into the crevasse and with him on my shoulders I squatted him up the other side. Then came the ravine. Every few feet I'd get him up he'd just slide back down. So I had to make these "pushes" to a tree where I could temporarily hold him. On top of it all it started to drizzle and there are all sorts of weird critters and noises in the woods in the south that this yankee wasn't used to. To tell you I was on the verge of tears is not an exaggeration and several times I considered leaving him there and coming back in the morning, but I made it out.

As my grandpa and dad have always said, the easiest part of hunting is pulling the trigger.  Congrats on the buck!

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Belo said:

I shot a nice buck in Mississippi. It was right at legal light and he ran down a 6' wide and 10' deep crevasse and up the other side. I was already at the bottom of a steep ravine. Luckily the deer are smaller down south, but he wasn't small. 

I ended up having to toss him down into the crevasse and with him on my shoulders I squatted him up the other side. Then came the ravine. Every few feet I'd get him up he'd just slide back down. So I had to make these "pushes" to a tree where I could temporarily hold him. On top of it all it started to drizzle and there are all sorts of weird critters and noises in the woods in the south that this yankee wasn't used to. To tell you I was on the verge of tears is not an exaggeration and several times I considered leaving him there and coming back in the morning, but I made it out.

As my grandpa and dad have always said, the easiest part of hunting is pulling the trigger.  Congrats on the buck!

I shot a buck on state land that slid down into a deep ravine and I did what you did, kept throwing my rope around saplings and pulling him up, every few Id lose him and hed slide back down. I finally called my friend at camp and said "Eff this, come down the back road on the quad and fly across the field, Ill meet you at the base of the hill. If anyone comes out screaming Ill beg forgiveness and take my lumps lol. We got in and out clean

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, NonTypical said:

As I head from the doctor to PT, I get this pic. This buck has been in my area all season. This is killing me. Hopefully I can pull it together soon and make a move on him. D44EE087-CED9-4137-ADAB-F57984F57825.thumb.jpeg.bb4937f61f1092c72b00724fcc8d8d92.jpeg

I  can help take care of this trespasser now, as long as i can setup with a fieldpod ;) 

• Like 1

I shot a buck on state land that slid down into a deep ravine and I did what you did, kept throwing my rope around saplings and pulling him up, every few Id lose him and hed slide back down. I finally called my friend at camp and said "Eff this, come down the back road on the quad and fly across the field, Ill meet you at the base of the hill. If anyone comes out screaming Ill beg forgiveness and take my lumps lol. We got in and out clean
Had my opening day buck expire at the bottom of a deep revine. Our property is the beginning of zore valley so once he crossed our 300 yard field....then we couldnt find him inside the wood line and right there my panic button went off and I figured he was at the bottom. Well after another 10 minutes of looking from the top my buddy spotted him laying across the creek in the far side. The drag back was God awful. Started with having to cross the creek....lift it up a 4' bank, gut, then drag what felt like straight up the wet, leafy muddy hill. I felt like both lungs were going to fall out-of my body, and I was shedding clothes like crazy cause I was sweating like a dog. Thank goodness once we got him to the field we could load him into the atv to haul out the rest of the way.

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, mlammerhirt said:

Had my opening day buck expire at the bottom of a deep revine. Our property is the beginning of zore valley so once he crossed our 300 yard field....then we couldnt find him inside the wood line and right there my panic button went off and I figured he was at the bottom. Well after another 10 minutes of looking from the top my buddy spotted him laying across the creek in the far side. The drag back was God awful. Started with having to cross the creek....lift it up a 4' bank, gut, then drag what felt like straight up the wet, leafy muddy hill. I felt like both lungs were going to fall out-of my body, and I was shedding clothes like crazy cause I was sweating like a dog. Thank goodness once we got him to the field we could load him into the atv to haul out the rest of the way.

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

We used to hunt a property in Illinois that had a steep bluff, and we'd kill a lot of deer below the bluff. We would take my uncles 6 wheeler out, wedge it behind a tree and drop the winch cable with some ropes attached. It worked like a charm. 

Good day, bad day. 
Good, I retraced my steps from last Wednesday and managed to find my Buck knife. Careless on my part to lose it but very happy to have it back. I’ve had that knife close to thirty years and used it on all sorts of game. Deer, elk, hog and antelope not to mention all sorts of small game. Very good day. 
Bad, just minutes after finding my knife, I spotted a doe working it’s way across a goldenrod field and went on a stalk for about a hundred yards until I was thirty yards from her. Waited a couple of minutes while she grazed with her hind end facing me. When she turned broadside, I pulled the trigger and only heard the firing pin whack against the Hornaday Performance round but no luck with it firing. The deer looked up and hopped into a hedgerow and was gone. 

6FE62277-A9CB-444B-8B25-EEABB597C8EC.jpeg

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Belo said:

Start a thread asking about people's worst drags, because I have a couple doozies right about at that same level of misery!

• Like 1

We all already carry dragging rope and possibly a dragging harness...

Add a ratchet strap and a d shackle to your pack.

Attach the ratchet strap to a tree uphill, place the d shackle on the strap pointing toward the deer.

Run your dragging rope through it and you can walk down the hill or ravine using your body weight to pull it up.

Only costs a couple bucks to put together and can be a life saver which doesn't even weigh much. 

ł prefer this harness and paracord combined with that method: 

Screenshot_20211129-153827_Chrome.jpg

Edited by XGX7PM
Typo
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, 46rkl said:

Good day, bad day. 
Good, I retraced my steps from last Wednesday and managed to find my Buck knife. Careless on my part to lose it but very happy to have it back. I’ve had that knife close to thirty years and used it on all sorts of game. Deer, elk, hog and antelope not to mention all sorts of small game. Very good day. 
Bad, just minutes after finding my knife, I spotted a doe working it’s way across a goldenrod field and went on a stalk for about a hundred yards until I was thirty yards from her. Waited a couple of minutes while she grazed with her hind end facing me. When she turned broadside, I pulled the trigger and only heard the firing pin whack against the Hornaday Performance round but no luck with it firing. The deer looked up and hopped into a hedgerow and was gone. 

6FE62277-A9CB-444B-8B25-EEABB597C8EC.jpeg

I have had that happen and I believe that has happened to a few others on the forum this year. after my misfire I spoke with a gunsmith who warned me that if the round's primer was dented that the round is very unstable and to be sure to dispose of it and not keep it laying around.