LIVE From The Woods 2021 Stories And Pictures Let's Have Em!

grampy

As I head from the doctor to PT, I get this pic. This buck has been in my area all season. This is killing me. Hopefully I can pull it together soon and make a move on him. D44EE087-CED9-4137-ADAB-F57984F57825.thumb.jpeg.bb4937f61f1092c72b00724fcc8d8d92.jpeg

Nice Buck!!
I wonder if lighting up the poundage on your bow would work ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, rachunter said:

Nice Buck!!
I wonder if lighting up the poundage on your bow would work ?

I actually can draw my bow. That’s not the problem. I wish it was that easy...

Edited by NonTypical

Doe down. Ridiculous story. As I posted earlier, I lost a doe due to a misfire. We’ll, I was sitting in a stand when two doe stepped out about 80 yards away. No good shot because of branches in the way. I waited impatiently for them to feed their way towards me and they did. The smaller one was at twenty and the bigger one at forty when I first tried to shoot. Misfire. Slowly work the bolt while they are both looking around and trying to figure out what the noise was. Ejected round rinks off of the stand and I get the action closed. They are back to feeding so I try to shoot again. Misfire. Now I’m screwed as the clip is empty. I slowly eject the bad round (caught this one), remove the clip, unzip my backpack and get my spare (loaded) clip out. I’m surprised that I remembered where I had put it. Get it loaded and rack a round. I look up and the bigger one was now out around 60 yards and acting nervous while the little one is closer. I managed to lean over to my right a bit and get a clear shot off. She bolted but circled back in 15 yards and fell right where I shot her. Nice heart/lung shot. The only problem with the whole thing was that I had a very long drag, more than half a mile and three creek crossings to get this deer to my truck. Getting way too old for that but as the song goes,”I may not be as good as I once was, but I’m as good once as I ever was”. Sort of…

All in all a good day but I’m beat and I need a beer. 

E93F464C-D623-4EFB-AA66-D44E6411743F.jpeg

• Like 25

9 minutes ago, rachunter said:

I did realize you where that banged up. Heal up he’ll be bigger next year.

He’s not getting a pass yet. Still 2 months left in our season. However if he does make it, he will be a great one next year!

• Like 1

First, I went to stand along a cornfield that was recently cut that borders my property on the backside. I felt like I stood out like a sore thumb with minimal cover, so I moved to a stand ~150 yards from the corner of the field, hoping to catch something moving towards the corn. About 4:30, I look through some treetops and see 4-5 does and a small buck in the cornfield just about where I was standing earlier. Could have been more deer, but I couldn't see that well. Thinking about throwing up a hang on or ground blind at the back of my property around lunch time tomorrow and hunting it in the evening. Afraid my frustration will get the best of me and I'll shoot a doe or small buck that I really don't want to shoot though. Then again, if it looks promising tomorrow, maybe I'll put my daughter in a ground blind there some evening when she doesn't have school. She's not as picky "selective" as I am! :pleasantry:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, NonTypical said:

As I head from the doctor to PT, I get this pic. This buck has been in my area all season. This is killing me. Hopefully I can pull it together soon and make a move on him. D44EE087-CED9-4137-ADAB-F57984F57825.thumb.jpeg.bb4937f61f1092c72b00724fcc8d8d92.jpeg

Wow! What a beauty! Sure hope you're feeling well enough to get after him before the season ends!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 46rkl said:

Doe down. Ridiculous story. As I posted earlier, I lost a doe due to a misfire. We’ll, I was sitting in a stand when two doe stepped out about 80 yards away. No good shot because of branches in the way. I waited impatiently for them to feed their way towards me and they did. The smaller one was at twenty and the bigger one at forty when I first tried to shoot. Misfire. Slowly work the bolt while they are both looking around and trying to figure out what the noise was. Ejected round rinks off of the stand and I get the action closed. They are back to feeding so I try to shoot again. Misfire. Now I’m screwed as the clip is empty. I slowly eject the bad round (caught this one), remove the clip, unzip my backpack and get my spare (loaded) clip out. I’m surprised that I remembered where I had put it. Get it loaded and rack a round. I look up and the bigger one was now out around 60 yards and acting nervous while the little one is closer. I managed to lean over to my right a bit and get a clear shot off. She bolted but circled back in 15 yards and fell right where I shot her. Nice heart/lung shot. The only problem with the whole thing was that I had a very long drag, more than half a mile and three creek crossings to get this deer to my truck. Getting way too old for that but as the song goes,”I may not be as good as I once was, but I’m as good once as I ever was”. Sort of…

Was that 3 misfires today? Wow!

BTW, congrats on the doe!

Edited by Cabin Fever

1 hour ago, 46rkl said:

What gun and caliber are you using?

Yep. Three misfires out of five shots. Every one of the cartridges had a well dimpled primer but no bang. I’m gonna retire the 25-06 for the season and run a fair amount of ammo thru it after the season is over. It appears to be the ammo but can’t be certain. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 46rkl said:

Yep. Three misfires out of five shots. Every one of the cartridges had a well dimpled primer but no bang. I’m gonna retire the 25-06 for the season and run a fair amount of ammo thru it after the season is over. It appears to be the ammo but can’t be certain. 

Had that same issue 3 years ago with 12 ga Remington slugs .I was able to rack 4 and all misfired.The buck stood there the whole time laughing at me .

Edited by WNYTRPR
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, 46rkl said:

Have you cleaned the gun recently? Maybe lubed the firing pin? A little lube on the pin itself in cold conditions can slow the movement enough while still putting a dimple on the primer and causing a fail to fire. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, NonTypical said:

Have you cleaned the gun recently? Maybe lubed the firing pin? A little lube on the pin itself in cold conditions can slow the movement enough while still putting a dimple on the primer and causing a fail to fire. 

Cleaned it a couple of days before the gun opener but did not lube the firing pin. It’s certainly a possibility, though. Fired a single shot on Wednesday, no problem but today….

I’ll be doing a deep cleaning and testing it out after the season. I’d like to have someone else shoot some of the ammo I’m using but I don’t know anyone with a rifle in 25-06. 

50 minutes ago, 46rkl said:

Dame thing happened to my wife last weekend. I cleaned the bolt assembly last year due to misfires and it happened again same ammo different lot. Ill be taking it apart tomorrow again to look at it before i take it to a smith

5 hours ago, 46rkl said:

Good day, bad day. 
Good, I retraced my steps from last Wednesday and managed to find my Buck knife. Careless on my part to lose it but very happy to have it back. I’ve had that knife close to thirty years and used it on all sorts of game. Deer, elk, hog and antelope not to mention all sorts of small game. Very good day. 
Bad, just minutes after finding my knife, I spotted a doe working it’s way across a goldenrod field and went on a stalk for about a hundred yards until I was thirty yards from her. Waited a couple of minutes while she grazed with her hind end facing me. When she turned broadside, I pulled the trigger and only heard the firing pin whack against the Hornaday Performance round but no luck with it firing. The deer looked up and hopped into a hedgerow and was gone. 

6FE62277-A9CB-444B-8B25-EEABB597C8EC.jpeg

I missed it if you mentioned it, what gun are you carrying?

Cleaned it a couple of days before the gun opener but did not lube the firing pin. It’s certainly a possibility, though. Fired a single shot on Wednesday, no problem but today….
I’ll be doing a deep cleaning and testing it out after the season. I’d like to have someone else shoot some of the ammo I’m using but I don’t know anyone with a rifle in 25-06. 

Take bolt apart and clean firing pin channel with break clean.

For hunting I Never lube a gun to avoid the possibility of oil getting in around firing pin.

Take bolt apart and clean firing pin channel with break clean.

For hunting I Never lube a gun to avoid the possibility of oil getting in around firing pin.

29 minutes ago, 46rkl said:

I would test some different ammo on a very cold day to see if the problem persists. If you can’t figure it out, contact Grimstod at Desh Industries. https://deshind.com/bulletin/ He is very knowledgeable with Savage Bolts. I had an issue with my Savage and he straightened it out for me. I sent him my bolt and he had it back to me in about a week at a very fair price. He has the right tools and knowledge to test spring pressure and travel. He can also fine tune everything making your gun even more accurate. 

• Like 1