LIVE From The Woods 2021 Stories And Pictures Let's Have Em!

grampy

4 hours ago, 46rkl said:

Yep. Three misfires out of five shots. Every one of the cartridges had a well dimpled primer but no bang. I’m gonna retire the 25-06 for the season and run a fair amount of ammo thru it after the season is over. It appears to be the ammo but can’t be certain. 

had that issue with core lokts last year in .243, 6 outa a box wouldn't fire with a browning or cva single shot.  All i use in all my hunting guns now is Hornaday as I've yet to have a misfire with them, but any company is subject to a bad batch. id contact them and see if they'll take a look. 

Edited by Hock3y24
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, mlammerhirt said:

@lomax....just checking in......are you up an in?? Need a few all day sits outta ya this week!

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

I have to work this week. I will try and get in some afternoon sits for you. I could probably shoot a dozen does this week but hopefully a couple have yet to come in heat and will possibly pull a shooter into view of my scope.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, 46rkl said:

Yep. Three misfires out of five shots. Every one of the cartridges had a well dimpled primer but no bang. I’m gonna retire the 25-06 for the season and run a fair amount of ammo thru it after the season is over. It appears to be the ammo but can’t be certain. 

If the primers were well dimpled, then that rules out any issue with the gun.  I don’t know if I can buy the “oil on the firing pin” issue.  

Two big does owe their lives to “no dimple” issues I had with my Marlin 512.   Both of those happened on freezing cold days, after I had hunted with the gun in the rain and warmer temps on the previous day.  

Some day, I will strip that bolt apart and clean it good, but for now, I soaked both ends of the firing pin assembly with CLP oil, and I have only been using it when the temps have been above freezing. 

I think my freeze ups were due to water in there, and the CLP oil ought to reduce that.  

I am in a shotgun only zone and fortunately, I have a backup gun (60 year old Ithaca 37 16 ga.) that has never failed to go boom or kill the deer I shot it at, since mounting a Weaver 1.5 on it 39 years ago. Some of those have been when the temp was below zero.   It’s effective range is only about 75 yards though, while the Marlin is good to at least 163 yards (my farthest kill with it).

If the primers were well dimpled, then that rules out any issue with the gun.  I don’t know if I can buy the “oil on the firing pin” issue.  

Two big does owe their lives to “no dimple” issues I had with my Marlin 512.   Both of those happened on freezing cold days, after I had hunted with the gun in the rain and warmer temps on the previous day.  

Some day, I will strip that bolt apart and clean it good, but for now, I soaked both ends of the firing pin assembly with CLP oil, and I have only been using it when the temps have been above freezing. 

I think my freeze ups were due to water in there, and the CLP oil ought to reduce that.  

I am in a shotgun only zone and fortunately, I have a backup gun (60 year old Ithaca 37 16 ga.) that has never failed to go boom or kill the deer I shot it at, since mounting a Weaver 1.5 on it 39 years ago. Some of those have been when the temp was below zero.   It’s effective range is only about 75 yards though, while the Marlin is good to at least 163 yards (my farthest kill with it).

Sorry bud, a primer can be dented and it still be a gun issue. For a primer to go off the firing pin must strike it with enough force to drive the anvil “front side of area firing pin strikes” into the “mix” known as a disk. If the firing pin doesn’t strike with enough force it will crack the disk instead of crumbling it. The effects of the disk crumbling Are what ignites the primer.

Soaking a bolt in clp is about he worst thing you could do to your bolt. Break clean or alcohol is what you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

Four days of work coming up for me. My time off work is pretty much exhausted. Spent Sat midday to yesterday midday in Ohio. So close on Saturday PM to getting a shot at two bucks that would have been my PB, but wasn't meant to be. Sunday was some of the most miserable weather I have sat in, in years. 32 degrees and snow that sticks and melts, and the process repeats with heavy snow and sun, melting the fallen snow. I was soaked morning and PM. I kind of regret it because I got a bit of frost bite on my left hand fingers and my middle finger is still darn sore. 

Monday was the regular season opener. I could have tried to hunt all day and boogie home but I'd get home late and be a waste here at work. So I hunted til Noon. Had to choose between two stands. Chose the one I sat Saturday PM, which was harder to get to, but felt like it'd hold the deer once pressure hit. Didn't see a deer. Heard one blow at me when I got down, but that was it. Of course, the easy stand, the other option, had the third largest buck on the farm walk in, in daylight, about 30 minutes after sun up for what would have been a slam dunk shot. Meh, go figure.

Good news is the big guy got his first day survival wings. Another good buck at the second farm showed up just before light. No idea if he made it.

9B45E651-8D8C-4995-A745-24CCBB60C98D.jpeg

D63BD3D7-109F-4724-85E9-3221AC1F878A.jpeg

5FCB55E2-1CBC-48CD-A3A8-1F8C2EA30B22.jpeg

Edited by phade
  • Like 7

6dc82a0d9b15f4232d62bb296a78b169.jpg
355bd3eae96ce6dab26de7c45d2d30c1.jpg

I’m Not hunting today but my Dad is. He saw 1 deer but couldn’t see head. The one cam he passed on the way in had an 8pt and 4pt moving much earlier today. My cell cam a few hundred yards away had does running at 530am. This is 3N

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Sorry bud, a primer can be dented and it still be a gun issue. For a primer to go off the firing pin must strike it with enough force to drive the anvil “front side of area firing pin strikes” into the “mix” known as a disk. If the firing pin doesn’t strike with enough force it will crack the disk instead of crumbling it. The effects of the disk crumbling Are what ignites the primer.

Soaking a bolt in clp is about he worst thing you could do to your bolt. Break clean or alcohol is what you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep... I've got an old gun that always dents primers and never goes boom... I think it needs a new hammer spring. 

13 hours ago, NonTypical said:

Have you cleaned the gun recently? Maybe lubed the firing pin? A little lube on the pin itself in cold conditions can slow the movement enough while still putting a dimple on the primer and causing a fail to fire. 

if someone wanted to be sure their firing pin wasn't lubed after cleaning what should you do to be certain? Would a wipe with hoppes9 solvent or something else a good idea?

9 hours ago, Hock3y24 said:

had that issue with core lokts last year in .243, 6 outa a box wouldn't fire with a browning or cva single shot.  All i use in all my hunting guns now is Hornaday as I've yet to have a misfire with them, but any company is subject to a bad batch. id contact them and see if they'll take a look. 

same here, nothing but hornady in my slug gun or rifle. My .30-06 I use superformance rounds and have no complaints other than price haha.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Belo said:

if someone wanted to be sure their firing pin wasn't lubed after cleaning what should you do to be certain? Would a wipe with hoppes9 solvent or something else a good idea?

A buddy of mine had the same thing going on last year with his rifle . Turned out it was the  spring for the firing pin. Had it replaced and all was good .

Another buddy a few years ago had his rifle make nothing but dimples on the primer . Sprayed this aerosol cleaner using the straw that goes into the sprayer and blasted it into the firing pin hole to flush it out . Firing pin was all gummed up . All was good after that too. Im sure there are plenty of other good ones but this is the one I use

Hard to tell whats causing the misfires sometimes . Over the years I've seen this happen to a few older guns . I had a 20ga Savage do it . Turned out the firing pin was worn down .

BoreCleaner.jpg

Edited by SportsmanNH
  • Like 1

I had light strikes on primers in my CVA Scouts in 243 and 350 L. 

Both were directly related to Medium rings on the scope along with the bell housing of the scopes themselves. Visual inspection and testing showed clearance - enough so that you can work it fine. But when actually shooting, light strike and a failure to fire. Moved to high rings - and the extra clearance makes the difference. No marks were left on the bell housings, either. It's such a minute contact but enough not to start the fire.

Edited by phade

18 minutes ago, Belo said:

same here, nothing but hornady in my slug gun or rifle. My .30-06 I use superformance rounds and have no complaints other than price haha.

When I built my Savage, I had to swap out the bolt face for a different caliber. Of course, I screwed something up. I was testing several different rounds from Hornady, Federal, SSA, and Nosler. IIRC, I got a few FTF from both the Hornady and the Federal, but not the SSA or Nosler. I was stumped. It turns out that the entire firing pin mechanism is way more complicated than I would’ve thought. I’m glad that I found out about Desh Industries on the SavageShooters forum. The man really knows his stuff about Savage and does everything himself. More so than I think most gunsmiths who work on all kinds of guns. Given the price of ammo nowadays, it was money well spent.