LIVE From The Woods 2021 Stories And Pictures Let's Have Em!

grampy

4 minutes ago, Cabin Fever said:

Something just dawned on me. I sure as hell hope @turkeyfeathers and I are never stranded on a deserted island together!! We would probably starve to death!! Well, unless there are a few turkeys to hunt... 

God forbid they would put us on Naked and Afraid!! Even with rifles!! @turkeyfeathers

I better stop. Hopefully it's just the whiskey talking....

Edited by Cabin Fever
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Yea, but he didn’t say “dented”, he said : “well dimpled”. To me, that rules out a gun issue. 
I know I have a gun issue with my Marlin shotgun, because there was no sign of a dent on the primers, when I used it on freezing cold days, after getting it soaking wet in rain or swamp water submergence on my prior hunts.   
If he finds someone else with one of those oddball caliber guns, then he can have them test the questionable ammo.  I think I will lock my questionable, oil-lubed firing pin assembly Marlin shotgun in the trunk of my car, on a real cold day this winter, and see if it will fire with one of my extra slugs the following  morning.  I will let you know how that goes.
If it don’t go “bang”, then I will take the bolt apart and clean it good with brake cleaner, prior to next September’s early antlerless season.  If it does go off, I will clean and lube the bore, add another drop or two of cpl to the firing pin, and put it away for safe keeping.

Lol, ok.

I’ll say this, there is ZERO reason to lube a bolt on any action type for hunting purposes, zero! Storage, sure, range use, sure. You aren’t firing enough rounds to wear any parts, a firearm used for hunting should never be dirty enough to a point where lube would make an action work better etc. There is even less reasons to ever lube a firing pin, every firing pin used on a firearm for the last 100+ years has been made of stainless steel for a reason.

When I was shooting guns at targets way more important than deer the only guns we ever lubed was machine guns. Regular cleaning, and general maintenance were all we ever did. We would lube our auto’s before a range to slow wear but NEVER in combat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A friend invited me up to the Adirondacks to try and track a buck this weekend. I declined as he wanted three of us on one track,seems like a waste of manpower. Plus my chances are better at getting a deer this weekend in the sz.

The little doe in my freezer will not get me very far if that is all the venison I have in there.

8 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Lol, ok.

I’ll say this, there is ZERO reason to lube a bolt on any action type for hunting purposes, zero! Storage, sure, range use, sure. You aren’t firing enough rounds to wear any parts, a firearm used for hunting should never be dirty enough to a point where lube would make an action work better etc. There is even less reasons to ever lube a firing pin, every firing pin used on a firearm for the last 100+ years has been made of stainless steel for a reason.

When I was shooting guns at targets way more important than deer the only guns we ever lubed was machine guns. Regular cleaning, and general maintenance were all we ever did. We would lube our auto’s before a range to slow wear but NEVER in combat.

Sorry for your loss.  

I saw a pretty good YouTube video, where a guy disassembled and cleaned a bolt from a Marlin goose gun.  It didn’t look too difficult and that is probably the same as what is in my M512 slugmaster.  Looks like a good winter project.

Edited by wolc123

30 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Lol, ok.

I remember at my units we had red cleaning stations full of clp for our machine guns after we had a field problem or were at the firing range. Just soak and clean after. Never seen one while in combat. Just cleaned weapons and very light if any lube while in Iraq. Sand like crazy and could really get messy and mess with your weapons performance and rely ability.

On 3/21/2021 at 9:54 AM, Belo said:

Hung a stand yesterday with my dad and boys. No trimming or accessories but tried out the climbing steps in lieu of ladder sticks and I think I like them. Got a good deal, so I’m pleased

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/muddy-stagger-steps-packable-ladder-system?ds_e=GOOGLE&ds_c=Shop%7CGeneric%7CAllProducts%7CHigh%7CSSCCatchAll&gclid=Cj0KCQjw3duCBhCAARIsAJeFyPUHlnohJI3KOIksjfGmLk5oetvLnsOAlx7XCcvI8KVM5uNfSuY4LHcaAvC5EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

3e5c70eedce30fc62a58765a5f1e0666.jpg

Need to borrow a few of those boys! Keep them at it!

Okay guys don't kill me for this, but ive been really bad about posting to the forum this season. I shot this buck on November 14th on public land out on Long Island. Got to the spot with my friend and found some nice sign, and got set up over it. As I finished pulling my bow rope up, I look over and see this buck 30 yards. It came right to 20 yards, but when my friend got up to shoot, his jacket fell to the floor and the deer ran off. It wasn't too spooked, and i had a feeling it would be back. About an hour later as my friend is turning to talk to me, he sees the buck coming back. He gets ready to shoot it as its coming in. Before it got to his lane, it turned behind us and gave me a 15 yard shot. I shot the buck, it ran about 100 yards and dropped. Not going to lie, I thought it was quite a bit bigger, but I'm still pleased with the buck. Hair has been cut since then thankfully, so I no longer look like a cave man

IMG_4722.jpg

IMG_4840.PNG

IMG_4713.jpg

IMG_4714.PNG

Edited by ATbuckhunter
  • Like 41

Okay guys don't kill me for this, but ive been really bad about posting to the forum this season. I shot this buck on November 14th on public land out on Long Island. Got to the spot with my friend and found some nice sign, and got set up over it. As I finished pulling my bow rope up, I look over and see this buck 30 yards. It came right to 20 yards, but when my friend got up to shoot, his jacket fell to the floor and the deer ran off. It wasn't too spooked, and i had a feeling it would be back. About an hour later as my friend is turning to talk to me, he sees the buck coming back. He gets ready to shoot it as its coming in. Before it got to his lane, it turned behind us and gave me a 15 yard shot. I shot the buck, it ran about 100 yards and dropped. Not going to lie, I thought it was quite a bit bigger, but I'm still pleased with the buck. Hair has been cut since then thankfully, so I no longer look like a cave man
IMG_4722.thumb.jpg.73be1759a3e874ffac4ca02e38cf627f.jpg
IMG_4840.thumb.PNG.2527aa6d59ea7c952a322bbde00eba07.PNG
IMG_4713.thumb.jpg.f430d412d721075cac4f9faf329fd8dd.jpg
IMG_4714.thumb.PNG.9f1cae10d4e3683916b5748e82913392.PNG

Welcome back!!!!! How’s the pup?!?

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, crappyice said:

Welcome back!!!!! How’s the pup?!?

She's doing well! Ill post some pics of some of the pheasant we've been getting. She's starting to really pick things up, but she has been creeping on the point, so Ill have to work on that this spring and summer

• Like 1

IMG_4722.thumb.jpg.73be1759a3e874ffac4ca02e38cf627f.jpg
IMG_4840.thumb.PNG.2527aa6d59ea7c952a322bbde00eba07.PNG
IMG_4713.thumb.jpg.f430d412d721075cac4f9faf329fd8dd.jpg
IMG_4714.thumb.PNG.9f1cae10d4e3683916b5748e82913392.PNG

Congrats again man!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

Well so far my season has gone to hell in a hand basket real quick starting on opening day. 4 of my target bucks including my main 2 all got killed on opening day on neighboring properties following doe around. I had multiple encounters with each during bow and now kinda kick myself for not taking at the time what I thought would be risky shots. I've seen a bunch of dinks since then so not much to really talk about but did have one I'd like to get a closer look at show up on camera for the first time today.

IMG_4296(1).jpg

20211121_124853.jpg

20211121_124929.jpg

57245.jpeg

57242.jpeg

imagejpeg_0005.jpg

• Like 12

7 hours ago, bhunterED said:

Well so far my season has gone to hell in a hand basket real quick starting on opening day. 4 of my target bucks including my main 2 all got killed on opening day on neighboring properties following doe around. I had multiple encounters with each during bow and now kinda kick myself for not taking at the time what I thought would be risky shots. I've seen a bunch of dinks since then so not much to really talk about

Pretty much sums up my season so far as well! 

• Like 1

All impressive deer....just the way the cookie crumbles sometimes. As for a taking risky shots.....you know the shot wasn't there and made the correct decision. If it was a yaradge issue thay you weren't comfortable with....push your comfort level this off-season. Keep your head up.....still a month of the season left. Big boys are starting to show on everyone's cams again after their 2 week hiding period after the gun opener.

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Well so far my season has gone to hell in a hand basket real quick starting on opening day. 4 of my target bucks including my main 2 all got killed on opening day on neighboring properties following doe around. I had multiple encounters with each during bow and now kinda kick myself for not taking at the time what I thought would be risky shots. I've seen a bunch of dinks since then so not much to really talk about but did have one I'd like to get a closer look at show up on camera for the first time today.
IMG_4296(1).jpg.0edb5bd0e60dbcfe401c371e74a43221.jpg
20211121_124853.thumb.jpg.ec730a901909d21ecd00f4ace63be7b9.jpg
20211121_124929.thumb.jpg.c67d9079547c0686d13fb1be71da9eac.jpg
57245.jpeg.c01e508702eecbd76b558976385093c7.jpeg
57242.jpeg.d6b33862dde44012007c1da1651118c5.jpeg
imagejpeg_0005.jpg.99dbcc68d4f7a2b4cd2fc641be62418b.jpg

Holy shit. Where you hunt? FSW farm?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 2

Day 2 Survivors of the Ohio season. Bucks 1, 2, 3 on one farm. Other farm was pretty quiet overnight. While middle of the night or after dark I’m just happy I’m picking these bucks up on cam at this point. 110 acres or so and I have 7 cams on it, with five in about. 15 acre section. The Spypoint is in my blind spot and where I suspect and hope these bucks are spending time as it’s the safest place on the farm from neighboring hunters / Amish.

Buck 1 loses context on size by himself, but the last image shows him with Buck 3 for example.

Let’s get to the weekend already!

73C2E8EF-A178-4F4F-8E4C-E0FD791316E5.jpeg

FAB0BFCD-CC56-4E82-B78C-EED19FB5238D.jpeg

1D053559-0DE2-4368-86F9-942D73D68E8D.jpeg

D15F3649-863B-490C-AEE4-0393E96BF5F7.jpeg

• Like 6

10 hours ago, bhunterED said:

Well so far my season has gone to hell in a hand basket real quick starting on opening day. 4 of my target bucks including my main 2 all got killed on opening day on neighboring properties following doe around. I had multiple encounters with each during bow abd now kinda kick myself for not taking at the time what I thought would be risky shots. I've seen a bunch of dinks since then so not much to really talk about but did have one I'd like to get a closer look at show up on camera for the first time today.

Sadly, I can relate to this post BIG TIME.  My Pre-season shooter list has been completely demolished. Probably worse than any year I can remember. It sucks!!!

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, phade said:

Day 2 Survivors of the Ohio season. Bucks 1, 2, 3 on one farm. Other farm was pretty quiet overnight. While middle of the night or after dark I’m just happy I’m picking these bucks up on cam at this point. 110 acres or so and I have 7 cams on it, with five in about. 15 acre section. The Spypoint is in my blind spot and where I suspect and hope these bucks are spending time as it’s the safest place on the farm from neighboring hunters / Amish.

Buck 1 loses context on size by himself, but the last image shows him with Buck 3 for example.

Let’s get to the weekend already!

73C2E8EF-A178-4F4F-8E4C-E0FD791316E5.jpeg

FAB0BFCD-CC56-4E82-B78C-EED19FB5238D.jpeg

1D053559-0DE2-4368-86F9-942D73D68E8D.jpeg

D15F3649-863B-490C-AEE4-0393E96BF5F7.jpeg

Awsome. You headed back?

11 minutes ago, WNY Bowhunter said:

Sadly, I can relate to this post BIG TIME.  My Pre-season shooter list has been completely demolished. Probably worse than any year I can remember. It sucks!!!

Same here in NY

• Like 1