LIVE From The Woods 2021 Stories And Pictures Let's Have Em!

grampy

18 degrees up on the ridge east of Harrisville.  I am loaded for bear.  Hopefully one ain’t quite ready for its winters nap yet.  The old Remington sluggers worked ok on a buck last week so they might do the trick on a bear, as long as it’s close enough.
Last time up here in October, I was hunting for them over a gut pile with no success.  Maybe the hot cider will draw one with a sweet tooth:

8404DB9C-97C5-4A2A-8B9C-785A4A4392EB.thumb.jpeg.bb6914395415834096c5b8fc2251c5ec.jpeg

Slugs out of a side by side? I don’t believe I’ve ever seen that before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Perfect conditions for hunting today, now if someone would just tell the deer that. And maybe direct them to walk past my stand. That’d be great. Sounds like the duck hunters over on Conesus Lake are having a decent morning which is odd because it’s a mild breeze and sunny skies. 
Beautiful morning either way. Nice shot on that doe, Johnplav. Congratulations. 

image.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Moho81 said:

Slugs out of a side by side? I don’t believe I’ve ever seen that before.

Inside of 50 yards it works ok.  They fly a bit better out of the right (improved cylinder choke) barrel.  The left is modified and would likely only be used if “finisher” is needed. 

I am a little concerned with penetration on a bear since one of these didn’t even make it all the way thru a buck from 50 yards away last week.  It must have broke a rib to cause that blood on his left side.  My shot struck his right side.

The slug never exited and hardly expanded.  It fell out almost intact, under the hoist later.

I have checked the zero with slugs from this double on paper but never fired it at a deer.  The buck was killed from a slug from the same box with my scoped Ithaca model 37 16 gauge.

I bought a case of those for $ 1.00 a box about 20 years ago when a sporting goods store in Brewerton was having a going out of business sale.  I still have a pretty good supply.

I am pretty confident to use them on a bear as long as it’s closer than about 30 yards.

F7B44A5B-7074-4F75-9AA0-8D96A35FD23C.jpeg

678387F5-887A-4CCB-8A6A-56E2DBCDA750.jpeg

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 2

Millions of NY deer have been killed from a smooth bore with sluggers, I guess you just aim an inch to one side with a sxs lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Oh for sure. I hunted with a smooth bore for a few years before I got the rifled barrel and now the rifle. Just never seen someone hunt deer with a SxS.

For the record. I love it.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Millions of NY deer have been killed from a smooth bore with sluggers, I guess you just aim an inch to one side with a sxs lol

I did for 25 years .Then got the rifled barrel and realized how much I’ve been missing out .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Alarm went off at 5. Said Fug that.  It ain’t fun like it’s supposed to be. 

You and me both Jay! I'm sticking mainly to evening hunts. Sucks bad enough when you go out repeatedly and not see anything, but it's even worse dragging my ass out of a nice warn bed for absolutely nothing. Evening hunts are much more convenient for me and I look forward to them after being cooped up in the house all day working from home. If the trailcams showed any daytime activity it would help, but just nighttime. 

• Like 1

18 degrees up on the ridge east of Harrisville.  I am loaded for bear.  Hopefully one ain’t quite ready for its winters nap yet.  The old Remington sluggers worked ok on a buck last week so they might do the trick on a bear, as long as it’s close enough.
Last time up here in October, I was hunting for them over a gut pile with no success.  Maybe the hot cider will draw one with a sweet tooth:

8404DB9C-97C5-4A2A-8B9C-785A4A4392EB.thumb.jpeg.bb6914395415834096c5b8fc2251c5ec.jpeg

Love this

4 minutes ago, Moho81 said:

Oh for sure. I hunted with a smooth bore for a few years before I got the rifled barrel and now the rifle. Just never seen someone hunt deer with a SxS.

For the record. I love it.

I am actually not hunting deer (no more tag for up here during gun season), but bear with it right now.  Double rifles are/were very popular in Afrika for dangerous game.  I carried it a few times for deer, but never shot at one with it. 

It has always been shotgun only in Wmu  9F where I live and hunt the most.  I put a scope on my Ithaca 37 39 years ago but I hated using it after that in the rain and sleet.  That’s when I carried the double and that’s why I tested it on paper with slugs.

I bought a smoothbore, short Remington 870 12 ga with iron sights for that duty about 30 years ago and have taken a pile of deer with that.   Trouble now is my limited inventory of 12 gauge slugs.   

As I was typing a doe ran by at 30 yards.  If I didn’t have responsibilities at church next weekend (“live nativity” show in Wolcottsburg”), I would come back up here for late ML when I will have a tag.

1 hour ago, wolc123 said:

8404DB9C-97C5-4A2A-8B9C-785A4A4392EB.jpeg

I have seen sxs be very accurate. That will kill a bear or deer out to 50 yards no problem.

I use to use the Winchester x slugs, never got pass throughs but the animal never went far either. Alot of weight and energy stopping in a short distance. That does some major damage.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, biggamefish said:

I have seen sxs be very accurate. That will kill a bear or deer out to 50 yards no problem.

I use to use the Winchester x slugs, never got pass throughs but the animal never went far either. Alot of weight and energy stopping in a short distance. That does some major damage.

I also have a half way decent supply of red win 16 ‘s, which I preferred back in the day when the Ithaca smoothbore was my primary gun.  They consistently grouped under 6” from a bench at 100 yards, while the rems usually came in at just under 12”. 

I also have a few boxes of purple Federals and white/gray brenekes.  My Ithaca likes the red wins the best, but it’s last half dozen kills have been with the 20 cent green Remington sluggers.  That is purely a cost and supply issue and all have been from under 50 yards.

I wonder what was after the scared doe that just ran by me.  I am hoping a bear, but more more likely a coyote or a buck trying for the second rut.

She was upwind of me, and passed by at 30 yards, tail down at a full tilt run, so I know I didn’t spook her.   

Inside of 50 yards it works ok.  They fly a bit better out of the right (improved cylinder choke) barrel.  The left is modified and would likely only be used if “finisher” is needed. 

I am a little concerned with penetration on a bear since one of these didn’t even make it all the way thru a buck from 50 yards away last week.  It must have broke a rib to cause that blood on his left side.  My shot struck his right side.
The slug never exited and hardly expanded.  It fell out almost intact, under the hoist later.
I have checked the zero with slugs from this double on paper but never fired it at a deer.  The buck was killed from a slug from the same box with my scoped Ithaca model 37 16 gauge.
I bought a case of those for $ 1.00 a box about 20 years ago when a sporting goods store in Brewerton was having a going out of business sale.  I still have a pretty good supply.
I am pretty confident to use them on a bear as long as it’s closer than about 30 yards.
F7B44A5B-7074-4F75-9AA0-8D96A35FD23C.thumb.jpeg.8885af35002b30fa5650d5479b2f3386.jpeg
678387F5-887A-4CCB-8A6A-56E2DBCDA750.thumb.jpeg.3d28064ec11dd8c8eefe1b381ee88e3a.jpeg

Bears are sissies, youre fine

• Like 1

There is a doe about 100 yards down hill and upwind of me.  Something has her panties in a bunch.  A few times she has snorted and pranced around down there.  I don’t know what is bothering her.  All I can think of is she may have crossed my non evercalm treated boot prints on the way over there.

C32D432A-BAB2-42E7-A633-8DC17ADCDDF3.jpeg

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1