LIVE From The Woods 2021 Stories And Pictures Let's Have Em!

grampy

So again, this has been a crazy season for me…actually crazy several seasons. I only started bow hunting in 2017, deployed in 2018, so this year is my 4th year. In 2017 and 2019 I saw some huge 10 pointers on my property, never got a shot at them (well to be honest I did but terribly missed, since I had no idea what I was doing).

Fast forward to last year when EHD hit, I saw zero bucks all season. I was going out every single day throughout bow and gun season. This year I did not have high expectations, since I heard that EHD was back. Well I got a little 7 pointer early November, who was the first deer that I even saw out there. I’ve been bow hunting since then, because I figured I already got one buck, it wouldn’t be fair to get another deer with a rifle at that point. Well I didn’t see a single deer since that little buck, until yesterday. I thought he was an 8 pointer when I shot him late at dusk, turns out he’s a 10! 

I started tracking him this morning, which took a total of 3 hours. I will never use these Montec G5 broadheads again. 

We all know how frustrating and discouraging tracking can be. I even called Deer Search. At one point the blood trail started leading downhill, and I could see for several hundreds yards in every direction, and could see that there was no dead deer in sight. If I continued to look for tiny specks of blood on my hands and knees, it would have taken a week. So instead I decided to just walk in the same general direction and hope to get lucky. Well…I did! I ended up walking into an area where there were rubs and scrapes everywhere. So I figured this is definitely where he went. Sure enough, after checking several scrapes, I found some that had blood in them (btw why did he do that?). I walked another 100 yards in the same direction, and finally stumbled upon him. 

Looks like a fighter. One of his ears has a bite out of it, and all the points of his antlers are worn down. 
ED432238-63B4-4967-A08B-611E24B9D89D.thumb.jpeg.975740bbc9ccddef9ab6cdf460ca6323.jpeg
ED438AB7-0A5C-49ED-91C2-36EEF18A2826.thumb.jpeg.b0295e557cdba36001326dafe6cdd0ec.jpeg
9B1BB832-1299-486A-9C58-E98DF297F607.thumb.jpeg.6072765f00707d23f8a3a4ce81b4e992.jpeg

Congrats! Great buck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

Let’s say this guy isn’t a troll. Did he fuck up? Yes. Was it a bad decision? Yes. Have we all been there? Probably not, but some have for sure.

I think the moral of the story here is that what’s done is done. It doesn’t make it ok. But nothing good will come from ridicule or if he doesn’t learn from it.

Also, best not to post mistakes that are also legal violations default_wink.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey this is a family forum watch your language please

• Like 2

Broadheads have nothing to do with it. Shot placement does. Lol
That's not entirely true. Let's face it, some broadhead are better than others. I've used the heads he did and even with perfect shots there was little to no blood. There's something with the Montecs that allow for almost no blood. A Google search will reveal all you need to know. Will they still kill the deer? Absolutely, but they can be hard to find with a sparse to no trail. I shot 4 or 5 deer with the G5 and had terrible blood trails on every one of them. One buck went down in 75 yds but there was zero blood, even where he layed dead. I don't pretend to know why, but I know what I see. G5 Montecs suck for blood trails.

Sent from my moto g fast using Tapatalk

• Like 5

Well now as of 10:15 I’ve had 20 walk by, going to send the videos to the DEC asking why do we get 1 doe permit every 3 years in 3 H

Hahah I had that same issue with them. It’s a joke 3h is loaded with does

So again, this has been a crazy season for me…actually crazy several seasons. I only started bow hunting in 2017, deployed in 2018, so this year is my 4th year. In 2017 and 2019 I saw some huge 10 pointers on my property, never got a shot at them (well to be honest I did but terribly missed, since I had no idea what I was doing).

Fast forward to last year when EHD hit, I saw zero bucks all season. I was going out every single day throughout bow and gun season. This year I did not have high expectations, since I heard that EHD was back. Well I got a little 7 pointer early November, who was the first deer that I even saw out there. I’ve been bow hunting since then, because I figured I already got one buck, it wouldn’t be fair to get another deer with a rifle at that point. Well I didn’t see a single deer since that little buck, until yesterday. I thought he was an 8 pointer when I shot him late at dusk, turns out he’s a 10! 

I started tracking him this morning, which took a total of 3 hours. I will never use these Montec G5 broadheads again. 

We all know how frustrating and discouraging tracking can be. I even called Deer Search. At one point the blood trail started leading downhill, and I could see for several hundreds yards in every direction, and could see that there was no dead deer in sight. If I continued to look for tiny specks of blood on my hands and knees, it would have taken a week. So instead I decided to just walk in the same general direction and hope to get lucky. Well…I did! I ended up walking into an area where there were rubs and scrapes everywhere. So I figured this is definitely where he went. Sure enough, after checking several scrapes, I found some that had blood in them (btw why did he do that?). I walked another 100 yards in the same direction, and finally stumbled upon him. 

Looks like a fighter. One of his ears has a bite out of it, and all the points of his antlers are worn down. 
ED432238-63B4-4967-A08B-611E24B9D89D.thumb.jpeg.975740bbc9ccddef9ab6cdf460ca6323.jpeg
ED438AB7-0A5C-49ED-91C2-36EEF18A2826.thumb.jpeg.b0295e557cdba36001326dafe6cdd0ec.jpeg
9B1BB832-1299-486A-9C58-E98DF297F607.thumb.jpeg.6072765f00707d23f8a3a4ce81b4e992.jpeg

Please please please don’t carry deer like that during gun season you are asking to get shot

• Like 2

That's not entirely true. Let's face it, some broadhead are better than others. I've used the heads he did and even with perfect shots there was little to no blood. There's something with the Montecs that allow for almost no blood. A Google search will reveal all you need to know. Will they still kill the deer? Absolutely, but they can be hard to find with a sparse to no trail. I shot 4 or 5 deer with the G5 and had terrible blood trails on every one of them. One buck went down in 75 yds but there was zero blood, even where he layed dead. I don't pretend to know why, but I know what I see. G5 Montecs suck for blood trails.

I actually agree with this… I’m loving the grim reaper hades 4 blade fixed… so sharp… I’ve never had to look for blood with them… just follow the red splatter road

• Like 2

Felt good to sleep in this morning. : ) 
I have a quick question. Where do we post the details about our hunts? I thought I would share but cant find the proper place. I know I saw a thread earlier in the season but cant find it now. 
Thanks

It’s unique to each weapon, under deer hunting click the sun forum for the weapon and there should be a harvest thread pinned at the top of each.

I wouldn’t say nothing, but yeah even a field point will kill in the right spot. The type of broadhead helps when the shot isn’t perfect.

And then of course a deep channel wound like a rage produces will provide a much better blood trail.

16 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

How’s the trap line check been ? 

Good fox numbers this year ,low coyote catch and more possums then I care for .Pulling this week .I’ll be in Tampa this time next week for 2 weeks on a Lagoon ,and I’ll witness Brady most likely whip the Bills live LOL.

• Like 1

So why is it that so many people who shoot Montec G5’s complain about the lack of blood trail? Do all G5 hunters not have appropriate shot placement for optimal blood trails? Can’t be!
Something in that head’s design doesn’t allow for good blood. I’ve tracked three deer shot with g5 and all three were clean lung or heart shots(Not by me!) and all three had specks of blood early. Until nose/mouth spray showed on the track,all were very difficult.

Meateater podcast 284 with Dr Ashby discusses some cool I for about heads and their effectiveness

• Like 2

So why is it that so many people who shoot Montec G5’s complain about the lack of blood trail? Do all G5 hunters not have appropriate shot placement for optimal blood trails? Can’t be!
Something in that head’s design doesn’t allow for good blood. I’ve tracked three deer shot with g5 and all three were clean lung or heart shots(Not by me!) and all three had specks of blood early. Until nose/mouth spray showed on the track,all were very difficult.

Not sure. They never felt razor sharp from the package and even G5's own sharpener didn't seem to get them sharp sharp. I wanted them to be my "forever" head because they flew great, solid one piece, in theory should've been easy to sharpen/reuse. Not to be. I'll never use them again.

When I’m not shooting mechanicals I’m shooting g5s
6883CA23-8FFF-4C1F-B7E7-C8909ECEF426.thumb.png.fae6ef13d798daccae1b0fe045b0700e.png

Nice mouth/nose spray! Hit them through the lungs and that’s gonna happen with any head…I’d love to see the early parts of that track.
Jot doubting your success-it’s just different from my experience

I’ve always had good luck when shooting Montecs. I also believe shot placement is key. If you put them were you’re supposed to, you’ll always get 2 holes and they won’t go far. If it’s a downward quartering to shot and it comes out the stomach, you can definitely expect a lot of internal bleeding and there’s a good chance that the stomach can plug the exit hole. That’s what it sounded like happed with this deer. Sure expandables can leave a huge hole, but I’ll take 2 holes over 1 any day, and I’ve never had a problem with them passing through. I guess that is a whole other argument for another day.
Another thing that people aren’t aware of is that there are plenty of knockoffs out there, regardless of what kind of broadhead is used, and that can play a big role when people say that they aren’t sharp. Always buy from a reputable dealer and stay away from EBay when buying arguably the most important tool that a bow hunter needs for a quick clean kill. 

Rub is fresh made last night tracks are fresh no deer seen this a.m. headed back out soon. My buddy is on the backside of my property, I might try and go into a bedding area if I find good sign. Six inches of fresh snow on the last hunting day up here was give and take. Can't see much at all but can see where the deer are going.

IMG-20211205-WA0003.jpeg

20211205_094305.jpg

• Like 2

1 minute ago, corydd7 said:

Rub is fresh made last night tracks are fresh no deer seen this a.m. headed back out soon. My buddy is on the backside of my property, I might try and go into a bedding area if I find good sign. Six inches of fresh snow on the last hunting day up here was give and take. Can't see much at all but can see where the deer are going.

IMG-20211205-WA0003.jpeg

20211205_094305.jpg

That’s what is was like where I just left up on the nw corner of the Adirondack park, but they only had about 3”.  Sure would have been nice to have a buck tag.   

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, crappyice said:

Nice mouth/nose spray! Hit them through the lungs and that’s gonna happen with any head…I’d love to see the early parts of that track.
Jot doubting your success-it’s just different from my experience

Poi:no tracking involved .dropped within sight

6582C1D6-1486-43ED-9E70-4946147149A6.jpeg

• Like 1