LIVE From The Woods 2021 Stories And Pictures Let's Have Em!

grampy

Congrats to those that scored !
My nephew in Tenn. just sent me this ,and almost apologized for shooting a small one , he was frustrated, seeing tons of small bucks daily but none of his big ones . He hunts 1500 acres he shares with the owner .
If we can line up our schedules I should drive down some year .
38714F59-4CC1-41B5-820F-3DE928ACDBFD.thumb.jpeg.eee616dcdef9a663d0da0cae1c46c2ed.jpeg

Line up your schedule? Your freeking retired get you butt down there and hunt! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, Moho81 said:

Line up your schedule? Your freeking retired get you butt down there and hunt! Lol

He’s a venture capitalist, owns companies all across the U.S. and Canada , he works from home but also travels to those companies as needed , so long range plans are risky .

It seems one can take two bucks ( and 3 doe per day …) the season runs into Jan. Now you got me thinking . I’ll have to text him .

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nomad said:

Congrats to those that scored !

My nephew in Tenn. just sent me this ,and almost apologized for shooting a small one , he was frustrated, seeing tons of small bucks daily but none of his big ones . He hunts 1500 acres he shares with the owner .

If we can line up our schedules I should drive down some year .

38714F59-4CC1-41B5-820F-3DE928ACDBFD.jpeg

I will drive you down there next season, if I can hunt with you :elf:

• Like 2

Everything was perfect.

I scouted the area where I saw the does and buck a few days ago and walked in the quiet snow at 6:30 to set up under a big hemlock. I was perpendicular to where they have been walking with shooting opportunities in 180 degrees. 

I waited. 

At 7:45 a doe walked in from behind me. She caught my eye and I froze. She didn't spot me though she was only 30 yards away. But she was on my hard right and I'm a lefty. I had to swing my gun and body over to the right while staying rooted to the tree without her seeing me. 

Did I wait until she passed me a little so I had a quartering away shot? Why do the right thing when the opportunity exists to screw it up? I moved, she saw me and we froze. I waited a beat, then raised and fired in basically an off-hand shot twisted body shot as she bolted.

Hard to say where the bullet ended up ... next town ... county ... Des Moines. It sure as hell didn't end up in the deer. No blood or fur on the ground or her track. 

Edited by left field
  • Like 3
  • Haha 5

35 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Off Saturday-Monday. Tomorrow does not look fun but I’m dumb enough to give it a whirl 

DD57B6CA-3D71-45CE-A95E-2026B8B9205E.jpeg

I'll be out as well for the morning but I am going to hide in my enclosed blind and get the heck out of there before the winds pick up. 

Thanks for all the congratulations. 

I saw the weather forecast and was hoping the deer would be moving before the storm. I got out late and jumped 3 doe on the way in. I decided to sit in the big stand just to let everything settle down. I was there for 30 minutes, but my brain kept telling me to move to the south side of the property. I packed up and still hunted over to the south. I found two fresh scrapes 6' away from each other and decided to sit near the scrapes.

I was only there 15 minutes, and I could smell the musk in the air. He walked out 20 yards in front of me and that was it.

It has been a tough season for a lot of us. Stay positive and trust your instincts.

#from the ground  

20211210_110714.jpg

20211210_110727.jpg

• Like 37

40 minutes ago, Judoka95 said:

Thanks for all the congratulations. 

I saw the weather forecast and was hoping the deer would be moving before the storm. I got out late and jumped 3 doe on the way in. I decided to sit in the big stand just to let everything settle down. I was there for 30 minutes, but my brain kept telling me to move to the south side of the property. I packed up and still hunted over to the south. I found two fresh scrapes 6' away from each other and decided to sit near the scrapes.

I was only there 15 minutes, and I could smell the musk in the air. He walked out 20 yards in front of me and that was it.

It has been a tough season for a lot of us. Stay positive and trust your instincts.

#from the ground  

20211210_110714.jpg

20211210_110727.jpg

awesome

Up and in the same spot I shot the doe last night. This is the biggest concentration of does I know of so I’m here waiting on a buck. No tag for a doe in this zone until Monday. Wanted to get back in before the snow all melted. My wind is not great again tonight but it wasn’t last night either!