LIVE From The Woods 2021 Stories And Pictures Let's Have Em!

grampy

2 minutes ago, G-Man said:

It's a simple question of bigger caliber bigger hole.  Shot seemed back by looking at hair.  Small holes easily plug from fat. Or simple hide shift

It's a simple question of hitting vitals I think you mean.  If she had hit lungs you would have found that deer, even with no blood trail.  I'd put money on it.  I get what you're saying about a bigger hole, but it's not the caliber's fault if she didn't make the shot.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Four Seasons said:

So to be fair they have no idea where they hit said deer?  Tuft of hair could mean a total graze and there would be no fat or blood involved and even the best of shooters can get a touch of the “Fever”.       Had a buddy that was a great shot take a long poke from a tree with some pretty good wind drop a buck at a couple hundred yards, dumped him and he spun around on the ground in the wide open field a few spins and jumped up and ran right to him. After him dropped him with a close shoulder shot and cleaned him up we went to move him and found the first shot split the beam right above the burr on that buck, you could actually move the antler.               All with a 243. 

A tuft of hair that matche did body hair tells me shot was back a bit,   proper bullet for range would help, I've seen to many bad experiences with 243 to condone them as a great round  including 5 rounds shot at 30 yards at a black bear that never penetrated the body cavity all rounds were recuved against ribs after going thru hide and 4 in of fat.. yea they were deer rounds..   all in all a larger caliber tend to give more forgiveness on a less than perfect shot

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Cabin Fever said:

Who's venturing out tomorrow for the last day? Sounds like it's still supposed to be windy, just not as bad. I'll go out, but not sure if it'll be a morning and evening or just one hunt.

I'm heading out tomorrow. My last chance to carry the 25-06 for this year.

Then a few days next week with the ML.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Greg van Splunder said:

A tuft of hair that matche did body hair tells me shot was back a bit,   proper bullet for range would help, I've seen to many bad experiences with 243 to condone them as a great round  including 5 rounds shot at 30 yards at a black bear that never penetrated the body cavity all rounds were recuved against ribs after going thru hide and 4 in of fat.. yea they were deer rounds..   all in all a larger caliber tend to give more forgiveness on a less than perfect shot

You're talking about bullet failure, not caliber.  I never suggested using .243 for bears.  I agree a larger caliber is more forgiving, but a .243 is plenty for deer.  The ribs are the size of a pie plate or bigger.

15 minutes ago, G-Man said:

Again I believe shot was back ,  and not tallow but internal fat plugs same as guts.  Unfortunately she was on edge of swamp.  , a bigger hole from larger caliber  would be nice never cared for pin picks ,as with any shot accurate placement is key but larger calibers seem to give more leeway than smaller.. 

Regardless. Shot placement 100%. Could a 30-30 have made a difference, maybe.. but there's no way to determine if it would. 

It sucks.  I've lost a deer shot with a 30-30. Big 10pt. Gut shot at 15 yrds.  I seen it bed down 80 yrds out, but behind a lot of brush.  My youthful inexperience cost me that deer. I got off stand 10 minutes after shooting and Bumped him onto the neighbors property. Called DEC and they looked but couldn't find the deer. I was 17. Haunts me to this day. 

A elephant gun wouldn't have resulted in a different outcome. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Cabin Fever said:

Who's venturing out tomorrow for the last day? Sounds like it's still supposed to be windy, just not as bad. I'll go out, but not sure if it'll be a morning and evening or just one hunt.

My son and I are heading out in the am , 2 DMP's to fill but if they don't get filled we have plenty in the freezer already !

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GreeneHunter said:

My son and I are heading out in the am , 2 DMP's to fill but if they don't get filled we have plenty in the freezer already !

Both my nephew's are headed out for the afternoon hunt. One has a buck tag, the other has a doe tag. 

I'll be heading out Monday or Tuesday with the smoke pole.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Cabin Fever said:

I am going out for a few hours , after a bb over at my parents place.   Hopefully, he shows up by 4:00 pm, when I got to go help watch over a flock of sheep in a pasture.

I killed that bb’s twin brother in September, during the early antlerless season, when he field dressed about 60 pounds.  His brother looks like he is up close to 100 pounds now.   He should make two good neck roasts, so I can share one with one of my fellow Shepard’s.  

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, mowin said:

I've never seen fat plug a bullet wound, ever.  Guts, ya kinda, but guts don't bleed. 

Fattest deer ever can't stop the bleed from any legal caliber if shot in the boiler room. 

It happens! This was the first year I had it happen. 50 yard shot, 30.06 150grn superformance.  The doe ran 133 yards only real blood was where she went down.

20211127_160402.thumb.jpg.bf34088ede8c6d4df375acd1e22f47f0.jpg

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, biggamefish said:

It happens! This was the first year I had it happen. 50 yard shot, 30.06 150grn superformance.  The doe ran 133 yards only real blood was where she went down.

20211127_160402.thumb.jpg.bf34088ede8c6d4df375acd1e22f47f0.jpg

Shot looks high. Blood had to fill the cavity before leaving a decent blood trail. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mowin said:

Shot looks high. Blood had to fill the cavity before leaving a decent blood trail. 

You are correct the shot was high. Had the same kinda shot last year and had a decent blood trail.

I was just saying fat can plug a hole and that can make a difference in a blood trail.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, mowin said:

I've never seen fat plug a bullet wound, ever.  Guts, ya kinda, but guts don't bleed. 

Fattest deer ever can't stop the bleed from any legal caliber if shot in the boiler room. 

It happens. Now @biggamefish has a picture to prove it. I get what your saying about placement, but never say never with anything deer hunting related.

• Like 2

I shoot a 7mm Rem Mag.  I have no problem with recoil, or logic.  The .243 is a deer killer.

+ 1 . I shoot a WBY7MMMAG out west. When I rifle hunt in NY I carry that or a .243. Just depends on how I feel. Either are plenty for NY whitetails.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

Shoukd have a mother and daughter ( 1st time here ) and father and son 

For tomorrow both kids are 12  hope they have an opportunity at least  been quiet here  with no one hunting most areas for over 2 weeks.   Temps dropping   hope they are up  and moving

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, G-Man said:

Shoukd have a mother and daughter ( 1st time here ) and father and son 

For tomorrow both kids are 12  hope they have an opportunity at least  been quiet here  with no one hunting most areas for over 2 weeks.   Temps dropping   hope they are up  and moving

Looking forward to seeing some picks of them on stand. Hopefully, we'll see a successful pic. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mowin said:

Regardless. Shot placement 100%. Could a 30-30 have made a difference, maybe.. but there's no way to determine if it would. 

It sucks.  I've lost a deer shot with a 30-30. Big 10pt. Gut shot at 15 yrds.  I seen it bed down 80 yrds out, but behind a lot of brush.  My youthful inexperience cost me that deer. I got off stand 10 minutes after shooting and Bumped him onto the neighbors property. Called DEC and they looked but couldn't find the deer. I was 17. Haunts me to this day. 

A elephant gun wouldn't have resulted in a different outcome. 

Exactly. Look at the hole of this buck taken with 165 grain bullet from a 300Wby Mag. With no exit hole. 165 grain   Big caliber does not always mean big damage. 

1 hour ago, kpkot said:

It happens. Now @biggamefish has a picture to prove it. I get what your saying about placement, but never say never with anything deer hunting related.

No he didn't.  Shot was high. Blood had to fill the cavity before leaving a decent blood trail.  That looks more like cartilage from the shoulder than fat.

Edited by mowin
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

One of them fast little lizards in Florida that are everywhere and I can never catch I think 

LOL .I’d be famous if someone had recorded trying to catch that thing after a few drinks lol .They are fast .

Edited by WNYTRPR
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1