LIVE From The Woods 2021 Stories And Pictures Let's Have Em!

grampy

Got a call just before leaving work. An old friend of mine hit a deer with his muzzle loaded and needed help. So I run home change clothes and head up towards Rensselaerville almost an hour away. Met up with him, got the deer no problem, and dragged it to his truck and put it in the back for him. Just got back home.

A nice tasty button buck! Mr. Steve was very happy to get him!

20211214_183240.thumb.jpg.d14a65105881fb1966f9df79244e464a.jpg

20211214_183224.thumb.jpg.81abbb49348924e0057d1d2255c7e673.jpg

• Like 20

24 minutes ago, grampy said:

Got a call just before leaving work. An old friend of mine hit a deer with his muzzle loaded and needed help. So I run home change clothes and head up towards Rensselaerville almost an hour away. Met up with him, got the deer no problem, and dragged it to his truck and put it in the back for him. Just got back home.

A nice tasty button buck! Mr. Steve was very happy to get him!

20211214_183240.thumb.jpg.d14a65105881fb1966f9df79244e464a.jpg

20211214_183224.thumb.jpg.81abbb49348924e0057d1d2255c7e673.jpg

Awsome job! 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I screwed up the other night and passed one of my target bucks and didn’t even realize it He broke a couple more tines from the pic below and lost a bunch of weight so I didn’t recognize him until I pulled cards and saw him walking to me on video. I was going back and forth whether to shoot when I saw him in the woods but I couldn’t tell which buck he was and I thought he might be young with how run down he looked so I let him walk. Kinda funny, kinda sad lol. Never had that happen before, might need to get my eyes tested haha. Will have to try my luck on that property again

5acc3044bd095b13ac76baeff4d3adbd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, TheHornHunter said:

I screwed up the other night and passed one of my target bucks and didn’t even realize it emoji2357.pngHe broke a couple more tines from the pic below and lost a bunch of weight so I didn’t recognize him until I pulled cards and saw him walking to me on video. I was going back and forth whether to shoot when I saw him in the woods but I couldn’t tell which buck he was and I thought he might be young with how run down he looked so I let him walk. Kinda funny, kinda sad lol. Never had that happen before, might need to get my eyes tested haha. Will have to try my luck on that property again

Happens to all of us :) 

same..PNG

• Like 2

You guys with that CVA ramrod with the palm saver; do you have to screw on a bullet starter every time you load and take it off to replace the ramrod??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

No i start the bullet with a hand held starter then just use the rod. Also the palm saver is screed onto a starter so just in screw the saver of need be

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chef said:

No i start the bullet with a hand held starter then just use the rod. Also the palm saver is screed onto a starter so just in screw the saver of need be

Ive used a tree b4 to get the sabot set lol after ramrod wouldn't push down I forced lol with help of a tree.

10 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

You guys with that CVA ramrod with the palm saver; do you have to screw on a bullet starter every time you load and take it off to replace the ramrod??

I'm still working on what works best for me, but I have a starter then use the ram rod. I bought a second starter and will be buying a spare ram rod in the near future. I want to pick up one of the screw in starters just to make removing the powder pellets and bullet easier.

Good luck to all heading out today, live from the house while I wait for tree removal service to get here and probably f-up the roof I had put on three years ago.

Claw sling is the ONLY sling I put on my guns now. I have 3 of them. they are awesome. 

Same here. Although sometimes they grip too well and can be a pain lol. The only gun I have left without a claw is my AR because it’s tacticool adjustable vickers haha

• Like 1

11 hours ago, suburbanfarmer said:

How does one get a deer out of that canyon?

It’s a adventure ! Some places we’d hunt theres access roads that are gated, in bow the park police would open them for us , which helps . We’d often have a cart , rope bags, pulleys ,webbing, carabiners and set up a 4 to 1 hauling system , for times we’re not on trails and such .

But in reality your not going down those walls in the pic. access is via hiking trails to the River bottom . And you don’t shoot doe down there….

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Nomad said:

It’s a adventure ! Some places we’d hunt theres access roads that are gated, in bow the park police would open them for us , which helps . We’d often have a cart , rope bags, pulleys ,webbing, carabiners and set up a 4 to 1 hauling system , for times we’re not on trails and such .

But in reality your not going down those walls in the pic. access is via hiking trails to the River bottom . And you don’t shoot doe down there….

Next season I would like to share a hunt with you down there during bow season. yolo

13 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

This one is new to me so I'm still getting a procedure down. But yes, currently I take it off the gun and screw a jag/pusher on it. I made a witness mark on the rod with that jag on so I've just stuck with that. I use a separate hand starter that I got accustomed to with my last muzzleloader.

I need to refine all this though, feels like I'm f-ing around too much.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, suburbanfarmer said:

Next season I would like to share a hunt with you down there during bow season. yolo

Well I went last year with the fellas, other then that I haven’t gone in years . I went up to the farms on that hunt , one side of the road heads down ,the other up and the park boarders some big farms there . My friends have ladderstands up year round . 

As it is now, my left knee, hamstring and lower back hurt a lot, I could barely make it into the basement for a can of coffee this morning .

I’d need to,be hauled out of there ….

• Sad 1

This one is new to me so I'm still getting a procedure down. But yes, currently I take it off the gun and screw a jag/pusher on it. I made a witness mark on the rod with that jag on so I've just stuck with that. I use a separate hand starter that I got accustomed to with my last muzzleloader.
I need to refine all this though, feels like I'm f-ing around too much.

That extra step baffles me. You need a ball starter anyway which is also a handsaver

4 hours ago, Nomad said:

Well I went last year with the fellas, other then that I haven’t gone in years . I went up to the farms on that hunt , one side of the road heads down ,the other up and the park boarders some big farms there . My friends have ladderstands up year round . 

As it is now, my left knee, hamstring and lower back hurt a lot, I could barely make it into the basement for a can of coffee this morning .

I’d need to,be hauled out of there ….

Ha. Ha. Ha..I've noticed in the last 15 years that I went from always going to the bottom  to spending more like 50-70% of my time going up or picking 1 of the easier bottoms to access.

Yeah, and I never shoot anything down there except 8 points(I have got a 7 point once) or up.lol. Not worth the time and effort to drag a doe out, for me anyways 

• Haha 1

That extra step baffles me. You need a ball starter anyway which is also a handsaver

I don’t understand why anyone uses a ball starter? I haven’t used one since the early knights and powerbelt days. I can push my bullet in flush with my thumb.

Out taking advantage of the wet weather to get a little further back in the timber than I’d otherwise be able. Sitting on the ground at the moment but might get impatient and go still hunt around. Friday thru Sunday looks like great hunting so staying off my best properties until then

• Like 1

16 hours ago, TheHornHunter said:

I screwed up the other night and passed one of my target bucks and didn’t even realize it emoji2357.pngHe broke a couple more tines from the pic below and lost a bunch of weight so I didn’t recognize him until I pulled cards and saw him walking to me on video. I was going back and forth whether to shoot when I saw him in the woods but I couldn’t tell which buck he was and I thought he might be young with how run down he looked so I let him walk. Kinda funny, kinda sad lol. Never had that happen before, might need to get my eyes tested haha. Will have to try my luck on that property again

man,your standards are up there. That buck does not look too run down to me...but everything is relative. 

14 minutes ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

This "rain" forecasted sure looks alot like snow at 2000 feet!  Out in the deep woods with the smoke pole wishing I'd brought something to cover the scope and muzzle with!

Yeah okay now it's raining.  Time to get down.  Bet my dad is comfy in that pop up blind!