LIVE From The Woods 2021 Stories And Pictures Let's Have Em!

grampy

man,your standards are up there. That buck does not look too run down to me...but everything is relative. 

He’s not run down at all in that pic and that’s what messed me up. He looked like he dropped a ton of weight from that pic when I saw him on the hoof even tho it was only 2 weeks later so I didn’t know which deer it was. All I have of that encounter is video and idk how to post that. I strive to kill the biggest oldest buck in my woods and wasn’t confident I was doing that when I saw him. Hopefully I’ll get another crack at him, otherwise all I can do is laugh at myself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t understand why anyone uses a ball starter? I haven’t used one since the early knights and powerbelt days. I can push my bullet in flush with my thumb.

I can sometimes but not the second one and certainly not in my Hawken

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 hour ago, ncountry said:

Ha. Ha. Ha..I've noticed in the last 15 years that I went from always going to the bottom  to spending more like 50-70% of my time going up or picking 1 of the easier bottoms to access.

Yeah, and I never shoot anything down there except 8 points(I have got a 7 point once) or up.lol. Not worth the time and effort to drag a doe out, for me anyways 

I still live in the bottom at 58 and I still have to stay away from the easy access points but I have had to add a couple extra ropes the last couple years. Disclaimer….. if it does not go on the wall. It Walks. One does not take that venture with me if filling tags are their objective. 

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, TheHornHunter said:

He’s not run down at all in that pic and that’s what messed me up. He looked like he dropped a ton of weight from that pic when I saw him on the hoof even tho it was only 2 weeks later so I didn’t know which deer it was. All I have of that encounter is video and idk how to post that. I strive to kill the biggest oldest buck in my woods and wasn’t confident I was doing that when I saw him. Hopefully I’ll get another crack at him, otherwise all I can do is laugh at myself

ah ok,that makes me feel better. I thought it was a new pic when I saw the broken points,but you said he broke even more off.

Best of luck out there!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I don’t understand why anyone uses a ball starter? I haven’t used one since the early knights and powerbelt days. I can push my bullet in flush with my thumb.

My old muzzleloader was a Knight. I’m using the same ball starter, but I think you’re right, this barrel takes a saboted bullet pretty easy.

2 hours ago, Four Seasons said:

I still live in the bottom at 58 and I still have to stay away from the easy access points but I have had to add a couple extra ropes the last couple years. Disclaimer….. if it does not go on the wall. It Walks. One does not take that venture with me if filling tags are their objective. 

I see up in Maine for moose quite a few guys use a chainsaw winch to get them out where they can't get an ATV in.  Kinda neat contraption. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Robhuntandfish said:

I see up in Maine for moose quite a few guys use a chainsaw winch to get them out where they can't get an ATV in.  Kinda neat contraption. 

Picture this if you will.  A handcart with a winch installed and a marine battery strapped to the floor of the handcart. Two straps securing the cart to a tree and a plastic sled rounds out the unit.  Sliiiiiiick as can be.  

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Four Seasons said:

Picture this if you will.  A handcart with a winch installed and a marine battery strapped to the floor of the handcart. Two straps securing the cart to a tree and a plastic sled rounds out the unit.  Sliiiiiiick as can be.  

Nice! Now thats some engineering!  

Super slow night tonight. First hunt since beginning of the year I didn’t see a deer. The neighbor decided to start firing off every gun he had around 4:15 and was still rapid firing his pistol when I pulled out at 5. Not really too happy with him for a variety of reasons and this was just icing on the cake. Seems I either end up with anti hunters who call the cops constantly or dudes that love to use their property as a firing range and put blinds and stands right on the property line

• Sad 1

Still alive here fellas covid ain't got nothing on meh after 20+ years of marriage . Only 2 more days of querintine left ..the only bad thing that has happened was the loss of taste and smell which are returning now finnaly..

Edited by silent death
  • Like 11
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Four Seasons said:

https://www.amazon.com/SuperHandy-Electric-Portable-Brushless-1000-2000/dp/B08YY5ML5X/ref=pd_sbs_9/141-9535863-2331649?pd_rd_w=r3I7S&pf_rd_p=0a3ad226-8a77-4898-9a99-63ffeb1aef90&pf_rd_r=9Q27V4KXBV44GQNBF7HY&pd_rd_r=1967d75a-a870-490c-9061-2904412b15b2&pd_rd_wg=CZqLi&pd_rd_i=B08YY5ML5X&psc=1

2 hours ago, suburbanfarmer said:

Yeah they have some new neat stuff on the market these days. This contraption was a brain child 10-12 years back. Amazing how sweet it works and easy to get around. Those new rope ones even come with motors to give a little more power. Not sure how the battery life would be on some of those models. 

Got another buck yesterday at 4:30 am! With my car! Not to bad damage only hit him at like 25mph, little spike.  Just the grill, bumper, and small dent in hood are damaged. He stumbled off I was gonna tackle him but it looked like all 4 legs were still in good shape. I went back at 9am and verified he wasn’t dead 50 yards off the road. 

• Sad 1

39 minutes ago, Hock3y24 said:

Got another buck yesterday at 4:30 am! With my car! Not to bad damage only hit him at like 25mph, little spike.  Just the grill, bumper, and small dent in hood are damaged. He stumbled off I was gonna tackle him but it looked like all 4 legs were still in good shape. I went back at 9am and verified he wasn’t dead 50 yards off the road. 

Can I come over and rub your head so I can become the deer magnet that you seem to be?   LOL

• Like 1

Just a pile of squirrels so far. I probably should have listened to that voice in my head this morning that kept telling me to stay in bed! LOL Regardless of seeing deer, I’m always hopeful for the opportunity to blast a coyote, but even they’ve been laying low for the past few weeks, at least during daylight hours.

GL to those out. I haven't been able to get out during the week. Was planning to go to Ohio this weekend, but weather conditions look bad for the drive and I have a Friday 4-5PM meeting with our VP of IT - talk about sucking the wind out of your sails lol. May end up sticking with the ML here. Saturday's call is for five inches of snow but with freezing rain and ice build up. Should be fun. I may sit in one of our platform blinds and go for a doe since I haven't taken one this year. Hoping the weather forces them to feed. This nearly 60 degree crap can go away....

Edited by phade

4 hours ago, Hock3y24 said:

I use the scent free soap for camo and body, sit 20 Ft up in a tree, grunt tubes, best equipment money can buy and Mrs Shapiro down the block, smoking and blasting Sinatra on satilite radio wacks the deer of a lifetime with her Audi. Life just isn’t fair.

FCFCAF87-460B-49DC-9E0B-D98320F587FE.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 5

3 hours ago, Cabin Fever said:

Having some coffee before heading out. Thinking back, I've only killed one buck ever during ML season! Not feeling very hopeful, but gotta try...

Ive got none. Did let a really big one go a couple years ago, he was at the crest of a hill with a busy road behind him

• Like 1