LIVE From The Woods 2021 Stories And Pictures Let's Have Em!

grampy

I thought I was the only to get dragged by a deer! Years ago I shot a doe that came out of a drive. It piled right up in sight. I waited for the drivers to come out and we went over to check it out. It was laying by a big briar patch, and i went over, poked it, and touched its eye. Nothing. I rolled it and poked my knife in, and all hell broke loose. It got up and started to go, and I panicked and grabbed it around the neck. I was stabbing away with my knife while it dragged me through the berry briars. It only went about 10 feet, but it seemed a lot worse. I was scratched to hell and bleeding, and my buddies were laughing their asses off. It has been at least 20 years, but it is still their favorite story to tell. And there is a picture right in the album of our hunting/fishing adventures of me with a bewildered look on my face with blood dripping off my nose and scratches on my head and face. What a dumb ass!!!!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Just once in my life if like to yell "BOY! BRING ME MY KNIFE!!"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Not only did he grab my knife he decided to quickly pull out his phone and record me dispatching the deer.  I told him he can only show the video to family and friends that also hunt. Lol

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Why not a quick plunge or three into the rib cage and then get the hell away and wait?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The one that my kid shot I held it by it's leg do it couldn't go anywhere and stuck it in the heart a handful of times. Tried making it as quick and painless as possible.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Zag said:

Hahaha u crazy sob!!! I didn’t see or hear about your son, congrats!! That hunts forever etched in your sons mind. Heck he’ll be drinking with his buddy’s telling that story for years to come!

He shot a doe at 20 yrds Thanksgiving morning with the muzzleloader.  He'll definitely be telling that story for years with his buddy's when he's older.

Tonight after his basketball game I picked up my daughter from dance and my wife said what should we eat for dinner I said I'm in the mood for bar food. Hunter goes he has a few good friends that he would have a blast hanging out with at a bar.  WTH. Lol

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Yup, there’s a reason I ALWAYS have a handgun while following blood. The only knife and tackle is a once in a lifetime thing for me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To be fair, you might be better with and bigger fan of handguns than your average bear!

• Like 2

Been through four scenarios I can remember.

Watched a guy at my club in VA get gored by a basket rack. Wasn't dead. Grabbed it, got him in the thigh - 3-4". That particular guy was in his own right a very animated, funny, social guy. It was like something out of Super Troopers. Heard that story every year the night before opener at the club. I can still see his face when that thing got him. I was maybe four feet away.

Two finishing jobs with a knife. One car-struck. One after shells fell out of a pocket on a still hunt/one man slow push unknowingly. The car struck one was right by the road during our walk in. While at the truck getting ready, a van hit a small spike but never stopped - probably 3-400 yards from us and in between our truck and the entry point. Bow season and it looked like it had very little life left, but a house was across the street and we deemed that the best choice was to finish it since it was still on pavement. We did what we had to do - twice. Third motion and that thing lifted my partner off the ground about four feet. Ran across street into an uncut corn field we did not have and could not get access to and we never saw it again. We were sure it was on a death run. Thankfully our farmer farms it so we let them know ahead of time. Never came across it.

The last one, my partner spined one on his last load (MZ). I also was out after dropping two doe at the end of a one-man push. Other utensils back in truck. Trying to do the best possible thing we could having been caught unprepared poorly, was to use a strap we did have on us. It worked, probably the fastest option we could choose at that moment ease suffering.

None of these taken lightly. We always tried to be prepared but as Murphy's Law has it, when we make a mistake in planning/prep, we need to use what we don't have and must make a tough decision. 

Edited by phade
  • Like 1

Quick but good hunt this morning. Had a shooter pass thru about 100-150 yards out but unfortunately couldn’t get him to stop in the one small shooting lane I had on the trail he was on. There’s a logging road they normally follow but this buck couldn’t make it easy on me and had to be in the thick stuff. I was planning hunting somewhere else this afternoon but debating coming back here since he’s likely bedded within a couple hundred yards. Or I might come back tomorrow AM and set up closer to the trail he was on. Tough decisions…

I’ll say this though, I’ve seen about as many shooters in the last ten days as I did all November. And a few in the mornings, which goes to show traditional hunting logic about poor late season and especially late season mornings isn’t always right… just need to be smart and tactical about it.

• Like 2

Had a real nice buck on cam 5:30 this morning. I may have to get out tomorrow. 3 days not in the woods is terrible lol.

That’s great intel. This afternoon and tomorrow are set up great from a conditions perspective. I’d guess he’s bedded within a few hundred yards of your camera. Any standing crops near by?

25 minutes ago, phade said:

Been through four scenarios I can remember.

Watched a guy at my club in VA get gored by a basket rack. Wasn't dead. Grabbed it, got him in the thigh - 3-4". That particular guy was in his own right a very animated, funny, social guy. It was like something out of Super Troopers. Heard that story every year the night before opener at the club. I can still see his face when that thing got him. I was maybe four feet away.

Two finishing jobs with a knife. One car-struck. One after shells fell out of a pocket on a still hunt/one man slow push unknowingly. The car struck one was right by the road during our walk in. While at the truck getting ready, a van hit a small spike but never stopped - probably 3-400 yards from us and in between our truck and the entry point. Bow season and it looked like it had very little life left, but a house was across the street and we deemed that the best choice was to finish it since it was still on pavement. We did what we had to do - twice. Third motion and that thing lifted my partner off the ground about four feet. Ran across street into an uncut corn field we did not have and could not get access to and we never saw it again. We were sure it was on a death run. Thankfully our farmer farms it so we let them know ahead of time. Never came across it.

The last one, my partner spined one on his last load (MZ). I also was out after dropping two doe at the end of a one-man push. Other utensils back in truck. Trying to do the best possible thing we could having been caught unprepared poorly, was to use a strap we did have on us. It worked, probably the fastest option we could choose at that moment ease suffering.

None of these taken lightly. We always tried to be prepared but as Murphy's Law has it, when we make a mistake in planning/prep, we need to use what we don't have and must make a tough decision. 

Catch a tine to the femoral artery and guys would be wishing (probably only have 20-30 seconds to think about it) they’d have spent the $1.50 on an extra bullet.   

Or, how about a hoof to the temple?

Or crazier yet, a hoof to the mouth and knock out a few teeth?  You’d look like the abominable snowman…….

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, TheHornHunter said:

That’s great intel. This afternoon and tomorrow are set up great from a conditions perspective. I’d guess he’s bedded within a few hundred yards of your camera. Any standing crops near by?

Everything has been cut down the road a mile or so. Nothing closer. Figure he is looking for one last hookup lol.

22 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

Catch a tine to the femoral artery and guys would be wishing (probably only have 20-30 seconds to think about it) they’d have spent the $1.50 on an extra bullet.   

Or, how about a hoof to the temple?

Or crazier yet, a hoof to the mouth and knock out a few teeth?  You’d look like the abominable snowman…….

I normally have the tourniquet out of the plastic and pre set it, this one is just an extra from on top of the refrigerator, right next to the 9mm .

I look at it like this I hunt with friends and family , and even on a farm we’re a long way from help , and it weights next to nothing . The trauma pack i generally just take to quik clot from it .

Oh and generally belts don’t work ,despite what the news or your scout leader told you .

11700FB1-D951-43E4-8F5B-BC811FAA280C.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Everything has been cut down the road a mile or so. Nothing closer. Figure he is looking for one last hookup lol.

Probably! One of the two bucks I saw this morning was pushing a doe around. The bigger one wasn’t too interested, although he did lay down a nice scrape. Good luck!