LIVE From The Woods 2021 Stories And Pictures Let's Have Em!

grampy

Well the weatherman got me this morning.

was hoping to get out but the forecast called for snow and an unrelated of ice. Woke up to bare ground. Now it’s snowing and supposed to get icy. Could have been able to be out for the first few hours without issue. As long as things don’t get bad driving wise I’ll head out for the PM. Have a pair of hard side blinds both of which have had only one sit in them this season. We may see what shakes out there.

34 minutes ago, Moho81 said:

So far muzzleloader is just like the regular season. No deer to be seen. A fair amount of snow has come down though and made the woods look like a post card.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Planning to go out this afternoon..although my 9yr old is tagging along so dont have any plans of seeing anything..lol

• Like 4

15 min ago a young deer passed by. It was favoring its back right leg but moving along ok. I didn’t have an opportunity for a good look or a shot. When I get down I’ll go check it’s track out to see if it was bleeding and if so how bad.

I was on stand earlier today than I have been all year. Not on purpose actually, it just worked out that way.

My plan was to sit until 1000 and then return to the house to try and stay on my difficult current medication, fluid, and (very little) food schedule. The snow and wind changed that though, because I did not have a brimmed hat on and could not keep snow and wet off my glasses. So, I lasted until 0915 in the stand, got down and still hunted my way back while pulling a few cards from the cameras I finally got around to putting up last week for the first time ever. Just before I climbed down, I did see one deer, not sure buck or doe,  ghosting steadily along through thick saplings as it was snowing. It was the only deer I saw this morning. 

My hunting season this year was screwed up two weeks before opening day when I ended up in the hospital in the middle of the night needing emergency surgery, coming very close to my end. It was only at the tail end of regular season restrictions were lifted, and I became less frightened if I did shoot the recoil was not going to bust something open in me and put me back in the hospital.  

Hunting alone mostly since my uncle died two years ago, and my son grew up and moved away; this season despite not being able to shoot, or drag a deer, or climb into a tree stand until the last part of regular season, I still went out and sat in pop-up ground blinds in a chair basically site seeing and getting out of the house just to keep from losing my mind. Many times this season I had my crosshairs on deer, does and bucks, including one real slammer but all I could do was say "click" in my mind and them walk. The big buck, I let him walk three different times.  Once at 40 yards, broadside! Urghh! The big guy was shot by my neighbor the very next morning after the last evening I saw him in my crosshairs. The neighbor shot him and he was a very big bodied 9 point with a 19" spread. 

I'll head out for the afternoon enjoy the last weekend of this years season for me. 

On a rather confusing side note; my favorite ground blind I sat in all season is nowhere to be found. The bad wind storm last week seems to have blown it far away and hidden on my property someplace. All that remained in the spot was my chair, my shooting stick, and my little pink rubber pig! lol

• Like 6

I think I’ve been bamboozled into thinking the muzzleloader season is this great time in the woods where the deer are everywhere hearded up in massive groups just making there way though unpressured woods with out a care in the world.

LIES I TELL YOU LIES!!!!

today was no different than the last 3,485 days spent in the woods!!! 5 hours in the woods and only one injured deer seen.

Now if y’all don’t mind I’m off to pick up what little pride I have left.

• Like 1
  • Haha 11

5 minutes ago, Moho81 said:

I think I’ve been bamboozled into thinking the muzzleloader season is this great time in the woods where the deer are everywhere hearded up in massive groups just making there way though unpressured woods with out a care in the world.

LIES I TELL YOU LIES!!!!

today was no different than the last 3,485 days spent in the woods!!! 5 hours in the woods and only one injured deer seen.

SUCKER!!! :rofl:

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Moho81 said:

LIES I TELL YOU LIES!!!!

Don't feel too bad.  Some of us also got bamboozled into buying HuntingNY T-shirts on this forum and we haven't seen any of them either.   LOL

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Moho81 said:

LIES I TELL YOU LIES!!!!

This is exactly why I own a muzzleloader and have never shot it.honestly I need to shoot it this spring just to get used to it and if I want to sneak out late season I will be able to reach out a bit further if needed.im usually burnt out by the end of regular season n catching up on stuff i put off during bow/regular.i may sneak out with the bow during that "holiday hunt" just so I get some wood's time

• Like 1

Smidge above zero interest in deer hunting myself right now.  Not much room left in our freezers, but I have a cousin that could use one.   I saw nothing in three hours, starting 1/2 hour before sunrise this morning.

I took a long lunch break and watched a movie with my wife, and ate cold pizza left overs from last night’s Christmas party with her brother and sister and their families. 

I had planned on heading south ,to my buddies camp this afternoon but the snow, freezing rain, and lack of a 4wd  vehicle stopped that.

I hadn’t even seen a deer while hunting at our place, since the early antlerless gun season in September, until 5 minutes ago.  I walked to my truck cap blind in the far sw corner, where I have a 1.5 acre corn plot and a little patch of turnip radish mix.

A single, large-bodied deer kicked out of the back of the corn, about 30 yards from me.  I couldn’t make out the head. 

I am thinking it may have been a 2.5 year 8 point I saw back here in September.  I would shoot him now if I could clearly identify him, and the same goes for any antlerless deer (still have 3 dmp tags and my bow/ml either/or).  If it was the little spike or 4 point that I saw back here in September, they will get a pass.    

it’s not too bad in the truck cap right now, but I think I will close the back door, to block off the cold ne wind, which will make it a little better.

F61D37E4-36C5-4B36-950D-D826531ACA08.jpeg

This is exactly why I own a muzzleloader and have never shot it.honestly I need to shoot it this spring just to get used to it and if I want to sneak out late season I will be able to reach out a bit further if needed.im usually burnt out by the end of regular season n catching up on stuff i put off during bow/regular.i may sneak out with the bow during that "holiday hunt" just so I get some wood's time

I’m usually burnt out as well. I didn’t go super hard this year and that combined with the holiday hunt has me excited to keep going. Plus I could really use another deer for the freezer

• Like 1

Sat in a spot overlooking the mowed area I have seen deer in almost every time I watched over it.  I picked up my chair from the now missing field blind and kicked out a really cool spot in the middle of a brushy blow down.

Sat from 2:30 till almost dark and got SOAKED to the skin, as well as forgot to bring anything to wipe the lens of the cheap scope that came with the muzzle loader. 

Thinking to myself as I was getting drenched but committed to sticking it out...when will I grow up? :  )

Saw nothing other than a white bounding tail when I was almost back to the house.