LIVE From The Woods 2021 Stories And Pictures Let's Have Em!

grampy

1 hour ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

Noticed a bunch of crows in a tree on my road, found this in a spot where people frequently dump garbage.  So damn sad.  Anyone I should report this to?

IMG_20211220_081632.jpg

Why do people automatically assume that someone poached ?see this on Fb all the time .Maybe it’s just the pic ,but that deer looked a bit thin .

Edited by WNYTRPR

5 minutes ago, WNYTRPR said:

How do you figure ?

small chance was probably the wrong term. I guess I mean that it could have been a roadkill that someone took the rack off of and not a poacher/careless hunter. NY doesn't have wanton waste laws i don't think.

To your point it looks small for someone to trophy hunt and cut the head off though.

21 minutes ago, Belo said:

small chance was probably the wrong term. I guess I mean that it could have been a roadkill that someone took the rack off of and not a poacher/careless hunter. NY doesn't have wanton waste laws i don't think.

To your point it looks small for someone to trophy hunt and cut the head off though.

On the same note, i believe there should be a wanton waste law. The crispy fried pork wantons are the best!!! I don't know why anyone would waste them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

Noticed a bunch of crows in a tree on my road, found this in a spot where people frequently dump garbage.  So damn sad.  Anyone I should report this to?

IMG_20211220_081632.jpg

I would report it to the BFRO. A Squatch ripped his head off....

2 hours ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

IMG_20211220_081632.jpg

Yes, report to DEC.  It's possible this could be a poacher and could help them evidence wise.  If it was a roadkill, it is still not legal to take the head/antlers without DEC/NYS Trooper paperwork.  The game laws are written around the word "possession" and having the appropriate paperwork to possess.  

27 minutes ago, DoubleDose said:

Yes, report to DEC.  It's possible this could be a poacher and could help them evidence wise.  If it was a roadkill, it is still not legal to take the head/antlers without DEC/NYS Trooper paperwork.  The game laws are written around the word "possession" and having the appropriate paperwork to possess.  

I found 2 deer on the side of the road out at Three Rivers Wildlife area a few years back. Both had been shot, Both had the back straps removed and one was missing the head. Called the DEC. They were there within minutes since the 2 officers at been at one there buildings around the corner. They didn’t want to do anything besides take my info and search my vehicle. Said there wasn’t much they could do but they will be on the lookout in the future. Hopefully if he calls the DEC he gets a better response than I did. 

I think my season might be over. I had a mid 140s 9 pointer at 50 yards yesterday and thought I smoked it only to find no hair or blood. It’s been a long time since I’ve outright missed on a deer and was feeling pretty shitty about blowing the shot and not even getting a marginal hit. Anyways, took my gun out this morning to confirm it was on and it won’t fire. The indents on the primers look the same as ones that fired so not sure what the issue is. I can’t say that’s what caused the miss but pretty coincidental to miss that badly and then have the gun act out. I remember thinking it didn’t kick as bad as normal yesterday too so wondering if I got a light discharge or something… no gun pro by any means. Guess I’m stuck with my bow until I can get that figured out and to be honest the experience killed my motivation. Went from thinking I had a beautiful buck to now having to play gun smith

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

IMG_20211220_081632.jpg

So walking out this year i found a dead buck all tore up by yotes along the edge of the woods, minus his antlers , which were small to boot .

I started freaking out ,no one is around my spot and , why even poach a dink ?

Well after a number of texts , I learned there was a road kill by my spot , the buck was in the edge of the yard of the lady who owns the field next to our woods . Seems someone stopped and cut off the antlers , she didn’t want it in her yard and used her ATV to drag it up to the woods , a 1/2 mile away .

sometimes there’s a logical explanation, but often we’ll never know .

39 minutes ago, WNYTRPR said:

To make sure he wasn’t the one that did it .You are perpetrator number 1 until proven innocent .

I hate that they pull that crap . I would  call their bluff and make them get a warrant. Show probable cause . Its innocent until proven guilty.

Because you did the right thing and called it in they want the easy way out,figuring you won't call another one in . Just proof they were lazy. 

5 hours ago, WNYTRPR said:

Why do people automatically assume that someone poached ?see this on Fb all the time .Maybe it’s just the pic ,but that deer looked a bit thin .

I think it's a pretty safe bet this time.  This is a dead end road that leads to a quarry, on a turn around that people constantly dump garbage.  Furthermore it's 20 feet into the goldenrod.  It also has hang marks on the hocks.

What makes me sad is even if it's legal kill they didn't touch the meat on him.  I hate seeing a flagrant waste of the animal.  You took it's damn life from it, at least show it respect by using it's body as sustenance in accordance with the ancient laws of tooth and claw.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Fourteen degrees this morning when I headed out for a sit. Nothing moving here so I went in about Eleven, had a little lunch and butchered up my doe from last week. Back out in a stand now hoping for a nice big lone doe to wander on by. 
I did see a doe and fawn on my way in this morning. They were 25 yards from my deck searching for any last apples that may have fallen from my trees. Had to pass on the shot because a miss or pass thru would have hit the house or hot tub. Not worth the risk. I often see them there but my thought is, especially during bow, that a buck may stop by to check them out. My wife thinks I’m just being nice….

image.jpg

4 hours ago, boo711 said:

I found 2 deer on the side of the road out at Three Rivers Wildlife area a few years back. Both had been shot, Both had the back straps removed and one was missing the head. Called the DEC. They were there within minutes since the 2 officers at been at one there buildings around the corner. They didn’t want to do anything besides take my info and search my vehicle. Said there wasn’t much they could do but they will be on the lookout in the future. Hopefully if he calls the DEC he gets a better response than I did. 

they searched you? If that isn't motivation to not call the authorities... geez

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Nytracker said:

I hate that they pull that crap . I would  call their bluff and make them get a warrant. Show probable cause . Its innocent until proven guilty.

Because you did the right thing and called it in they want the easy way out,figuring you won't call another one in . Just proof they were lazy. 

DEC doesn't need a warrant iirc

DEC doesn't need a warrant iirc
I believe they don't need a warrant if there is PC. I'd have been a bit pissed if they searched my vehicle, after I was the one to call them there to report it. I got hassled once by an idiot DEC officer at the very place the OP said this incident occured. I didn't budge an inch and he finally backed off and left. They will certainly try to bully you if you don't know the laws in certain cases.

Sent from my moto g fast using Tapatalk

• Like 2

5 hours ago, TheHornHunter said:

I think my season might be over. I had a mid 140s 9 pointer at 50 yards yesterday and thought I smoked it only to find no hair or blood. It’s been a long time since I’ve outright missed on a deer and was feeling pretty shitty about blowing the shot and not even getting a marginal hit. Anyways, took my gun out this morning to confirm it was on and it won’t fire. The indents on the primers look the same as ones that fired so not sure what the issue is. I can’t say that’s what caused the miss but pretty coincidental to miss that badly and then have the gun act out. I remember thinking it didn’t kick as bad as normal yesterday too so wondering if I got a light discharge or something… no gun pro by any means. Guess I’m stuck with my bow until I can get that figured out and to be honest the experience killed my motivation. Went from thinking I had a beautiful buck to now having to play gun smith

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What bullets were you using?

Powerbelts?