LIVE From The Woods 2021 Stories And Pictures Let's Have Em!

grampy

Exciting afternoon hunt with [mention=327]crappyice[/mention] . We had no luck with me pushing anything but then we split apart about 250yds at 3pm to sit till dark where there is a ton of buck sign. At 340pm I heard and caught movement. It was a nice buck (huge 6 or great 8pt]. Saw him from 60-80yds. Before he left I tried a soft grunt but no luck. A few minutes later Chris saw a doe out of range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 6

4:58 ish and what an adventure. A doe walks through the creek and up onto the bank (credit to me for not shooting her in the water). Had a hangfire and missed. Got reloaded, POP, bad cap? Got another one in and whump, she dropped like a bag of badadas. The final day has been very good to me! Even though this is no longer the final day. Next week is sidelock season

• Like 23

Got my gun figured out and went back out for the afternoon to try and get back on that 9 pointer. Long story short, he showed up 600 yards away around 3:30 so I belly crawled my ass thru a power line easement and was able to cut the distance to 250 by the time other deer started to notice and at this point it’s about 4:45. Literally minutes before legal light I found a little clearing in some brush to take a shot and found the buck across the field with another deer. I confirmed he was on the right with my binos when he lifted his head up, got my scope on him while his head was down and let her rip. Dropped. So feeling like a champ that just pulled off a Hail Mary I walk up to find a spike horn with maybe 3” horns. They either reversed positions while I was getting my gun up or I simply went on the wrong deer. Tough to say, I was fighting the clock and does 20 yards away about to bust me so wasn’t exactly stress free and could have gotten them reversed. Pretty sure that’s my longest shot with a ML and definitely my longest stalk but god damn I can’t catch a break with this damn deer. That’s 3 times now I’ve got on him and should have killed him (2 of which I thought I smoked him) and stupid flukes have kept him alive. Funny story, just wish it didn’t happen to me haha. Might euro mount this guy to remind myself to always confirm the antlers in the scope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 12

Exciting afternoon hunt with [mention=327]crappyice[/mention] . We had no luck with me pushing anything but then we split apart about 250yds at 3pm to sit till dark where there is a ton of buck sign. At 340pm I heard and caught movement. It was a nice buck (huge 6 or great 8pt]. Saw him from 60-80yds. Before he left I tried a soft grunt but no luck. A few minutes later Chris saw a doe out of range.

Thank you for your hospitality today sir. When we split up for the magic hour Tommy last said, “maybe you should sit that double ladder by the powerlines?” I’ll give you one guess where we think that buck walked.
I can count on one hand how many hunts I’ve been on this year without my harness and tonight was one of them. Sitting a ladder that I didn’t set up without a harness wasn’t happening but if it did….
e335be6fbc2b703f26a6c7a16653d6e9.jpg
This little blow down made for a nice natural blind while I awaited Tommy to serve me does on a platter!

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Belo said:

i like that rubber palm saver you got there. did it come with the gun or did you buy it? 

It was sent to me from @rachunter when he sent me some cast bullets to sight the CVA in with.

I jumped one doe from her bed in some nasty thick stuff. She stopped for a second and was gone. I would have had no shot at her anyway with all the twigs and branches in the way.

Most likely won't be able to get back out until Tuesday. Sunday we have to go downstate ( Yay ) to my sister-in-laws, Monday the wife wants to go car shopping. I don't know, maybe I'll try and get a couple hours in Sunday morning. I'm glad to have the extra week this year.

Just found out PAs late bow/flintlock goes until January 17th and from my understanding my buck tag becomes an either sex tag.   Still have to look it up to make sure I'm 100% correct. Looks like I'll give it 1 more try with the bow down there.  Last light on last day of gun we saw 3 bucks. So hoping one of them or a doe wants to hit one of the food plots.

Edited by Swamp_bucks

2 hours ago, TheHornHunter said:

Got my gun figured out and went back out for the afternoon to try and get back on that 9 pointer. Long story short, he showed up 600 yards away around 3:30 so I belly crawled my ass thru a power line easement and was able to cut the distance to 250 by the time other deer started to notice and at this point it’s about 4:45. Literally minutes before legal light I found a little clearing in some brush to take a shot and found the buck across the field with another deer. I confirmed he was on the right with my binos when he lifted his head up, got my scope on him while his head was down and let her rip. Dropped. So feeling like a champ that just pulled off a Hail Mary I walk up to find a spike horn with maybe 3” horns. They either reversed positions while I was getting my gun up or I simply went on the wrong deer. Tough to say, I was fighting the clock and does 20 yards away about to bust me so wasn’t exactly stress free and could have gotten them reversed. Pretty sure that’s my longest shot with a ML and definitely my longest stalk but god damn I can’t catch a break with this damn deer. That’s 3 times now I’ve got on him and should have killed him (2 of which I thought I smoked him) and stupid flukes have kept him alive. Funny story, just wish it didn’t happen to me haha. Might euro mount this guy to remind myself to always confirm the antlers in the scope.

You sure do have some drama going on......

So what was wrong with the gun?

You sure do have some drama going on......
So what was wrong with the gun?

Dude you don’t even know the half of it… been SO much neighbor drama and other crap on my properties the last two weeks. Feel like I’m losing my mind, then add on the deer drama…

It was moisture related. When I pulled it apart there was a tiny bit of wet powder in the firing channel. I’ve never had a ML do a partial ignition but I’m guessing when I reloaded I pressed whatever remnant wet powder was left down into the firing channel. The gun was taped and I’ve hunted with it many times in the rain with no issues so not sure what happened this time other than bad luck. In the future I’ll be swapping my powder after every rain hunt

16 minutes ago, TheHornHunter said:

Dude you don’t even know the half of it… been SO much neighbor drama and other crap on my properties the last two weeks. Feel like I’m losing my mind, then add on the deer drama…

It was moisture related. When I pulled it apart there was a tiny bit of wet powder in the firing channel. I’ve never had a ML do a partial ignition but I’m guessing when I reloaded I pressed whatever remnant wet powder was left down into the firing channel. The gun was taped and I’ve hunted with it many times in the rain with no issues so not sure what happened this time other than bad luck. In the future I’ll be swapping my powder after every rain hunt

Happens to the best of us, if we hunt long enough the murphy's law will strike

• Like 1

Well its funny you ask because i have mixed and matched between Remington Kleen Bore and Fusion, not sure which I used when

Never tried the fusions but kleen bore aren’t hot enough for blackhorn. Thats what I shot when I shot pellets and had a couple thousand that I gave to a buddy because they were very unreliable with blackhorn.

Remington sts are the best I’ve found. Rio’s work as well but the primers expand a little and make it a pain getting them out.

• Like 1

Never tried the fusions but kleen bore aren’t hot enough for blackhorn. Thats what I shot when I shot pellets and had a couple thousand that I gave to a buddy because they were very unreliable with blackhorn.

Remington sts are the best I’ve found. Rio’s work as well but the primers expand a little and make it a pain getting them out.

Great to know, thank you. Ill stick with the Kleen bores in the sidelock with Pyrodex

• Like 1

Happens to the best of us, if we hunt long enough the murphy's law will strike

For sure. It’s definitely been one of those seasons. Done a great job getting in the right places at the right time, just getting killed by small details when it comes to the actual killing. Who knows, maybe I’ll get some vengeance in a week

• Like 1

Here is he folks! A bit better than a spike. I didn’t see his left side until I went back and retrieved him. I was disappointed earlier but honestly it was a cool hunt I won’t forget anytime soon and meat in the freezer which is what this is all about. I figured it was a spine hit since he dropped but double lunged him so backstraps are good to go! Second pic is the deer a couple feet away

36f85ef3102b248df479ed56bb5e2bc2.jpg

ec28eb802bbf1c0bb44b059742e50c42.jpg

• Like 19
  • Sad 1