LIVE From The Woods 2021 Stories And Pictures Let's Have Em!

grampy

5 hours ago, TheHornHunter said:

Here is he folks! A bit better than a spike. I didn’t see his left side until I went back and retrieved him. I was disappointed earlier but honestly it was a cool hunt I won’t forget anytime soon and meat in the freezer which is what this is all about. I figured it was a spine hit since he dropped but double lunged him so backstraps are good to go! Second pic is the deer a couple feet away emoji2357.png

36f85ef3102b248df479ed56bb5e2bc2.jpg

ec28eb802bbf1c0bb44b059742e50c42.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats, looks like a solid 2.6 year old. Those extra points bump it up by 3 in Rob’s contest.  He will  need to recalculate.

Edited by wolc123

11 hours ago, Swamp_bucks said:

Just found out PAs late bow/flintlock goes until January 17th and from my understanding my buck tag becomes an either sex tag.   Still have to look it up to make sure I'm 100% correct. Looks like I'll give it 1 more try with the bow down there.  Last light on last day of gun we saw 3 bucks. So hoping one of them or a doe wants to hit one of the food plots.

Your buck tag only becomes an either sex tag IF you are hunting with a flintlock. If you are hunting the late season with your archery equipment, your buck tag is only good on a legal buck.

• Like 1

The deer have been partying in front of the cameras since yesterday afternoon right on through this morning.    I've gotten more day time pictures in the past 24 hrs than I've gotten in the past 5 weeks.  They love the winter rye in the late season.

And these cameras are 40-50yards apart and yesterday morning i had an O $hit moment in the stand and did my business right in-between the 2 cameras and I had deer on them 2 hrs later. LolScreenshot_20211222-125614.thumb.png.2a2829e87207e64f291952f52def55ca.png

Screenshot_20211222-125638.png

Screenshot_20211222-125508.png

• Like 3

Well, I blew it tonight.
Forkie came in today around 4:20 but hung up quite a bit due to crazy winds. Eventually he worked in the correct direction slipped behind some tree, I drew back and when he came out he was directly facing me-no shot except Biz’s front shirt pocket that I don’t like especially from a tree.
I stayed at draw but was weakening and I hear rustling to my left- he looks and I peak to catch a red fox passing by. I was able to let down. Fox leaves and I prepare for him to move. I draw when he turns and he steps towards a tree with some bare limbs but I felt good about the shot. He turned and trotted behind a blow down…didn’t run. WTF. Nock another arrow and he heads to an opening that I ranged earlier at 40…he stopped there and I figured I would try to get “another” arrow in him. “Good hit…maybe high” was my first thought. He trotted off and stopped 70 yards away and just stood there. Couldn’t get a good clear sight of him through the binoculars to check hit site as he was also standing facing directly away. Tail flicked a few times and then he disappeared- I thought he laid down. . Climbed down super quiet, nocked an arrow expecting to need a finishing shot but when I arrived he was gone. Found blood and backed out.
3722313039ebe1e9c6029c54b8f82288.jpg

Checked first arrow…perfectly clean- must have clipped a branch. Went to hit sight and couldn’t find the Second arrow or blood until the area where he last stood.

Backed all the way out, brought climber back to car and came back with help.

Tracked small drops and pinpricks, and then more drops for 450 yards before it seem to run dry.

High Backstrap (hopefully nonfatal) hit.

Frustrating.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

18 hours ago, Moho81 said:

Yes! that would be awesome. I would love to take a 5th buck this year. 

I have a legit shot at that this year, with two down now (just one with protruding antlers), and three remaining dmp’s tags in addition to my bow/ml either/or tag.  I may have had ten two buck years in the past, and maybe two or three with three (including one button).  

I fully expect little “forky” here to tempt me one more time, during the Holliday ML season, and it is going to be difficult for me to hold off.  He seems to have taken up permanent residence at one of my spots, along with the twin brother of a button buck that I killed there in September.  

He first showed up on opening day of crossbow season, when I still had high hopes of grandure later, only to have that season truncated by our daughter’s field hockey playoff run.  I made no attempt to call him in for a shot that day. 

The reason that I am in the fence about taking him, is that his rack is tiny but very symmetric. If he survives, he would likely be a beautiful 2.5 next season. My fear is that he might run across a road, or chase a doe across, and get somebody hurt or at the very least do some serious damage to a vehicle.  He will also consume cosiderable amounts of corn from a couple neighbors, slightly driving up the cost of “Egglands best”, milk, and ethanol for many. 

If he lives another year or more , someone might get a crack at a “nicer” trophy, up on their wall.  If he dies, someone will surely get a bit of high quality meat, and a car, lots of corn, and maybe even a human life could be saved.  

If he stands in front of me again, like he did for this photo on opening day of gun season, I am leaning towards the pass. That is right up until my January 1, 2022 pm hunt.  I was rewarded with the “photogenic” 3.5 year old, 4 days after that last pass, on opening day of gun.

History could repeat, if I passed him again prior to January 1.  I will likely do it purely for that “selfish” reason.  Screw the corn farmers and the motorists.  I won’t hesitate at all if his little brother, without the protruding antlers, shows up prior to January 1.  I am planning on being in that stand this coming Sunday afternoon.

In the end, God will decide how many bucks that I end up killing this year, just as He has for my last 40 years.  No matter what happens, between now and January 1, His will will be done, and I will thank Him for what has already been one of my best years of deer hunting. 

I also need to thank the NY state DEC, for the changes they made this year, without which our freezer would be in mighty sad shape right now.  There would not be a 4-month “fatted calf” in there, without that early September antlerless season.  There would not be a mature Adirondack doe in there, if they had not opened that back up during the early October ML season.

Most significantly of all: the photogenic big one right there on the end of my buttout, would still be out there driving up the cost of eggs, without that extra half hour of hunting time after sunset that they gave us this year.

Some of our resident Antler worshipers seem to think that they have taken it on the chin by those changes, and even more so by the upcoming Holiday ML season. Hopefully, they, and the VAST MAJORITY of us, who value meat MORE THAN antlers, will be blessed with a very merry Christmas.

7FF67C91-286E-4DAB-9C80-B8E12038309D.jpeg

695124BA-0F8C-4401-A0DC-B528A5F17D37.jpeg

Edited by wolc123

7 hours ago, crappyice said:

Well, I blew it tonight.
Forkie came in today around 4:20 but hung up quite a bit due to crazy winds. Eventually he worked in the correct direction slipped behind some tree, I drew back and when he came out he was directly facing me-no shot except Biz’s front shirt pocket that I don’t like especially from a tree.
I stayed at draw but was weakening and I hear rustling to my left- he looks and I peak to catch a red fox passing by. I was able to let down. Fox leaves and I prepare for him to move. I draw when he turns and he steps towards a tree with some bare limbs but I felt good about the shot. He turned and trotted behind a blow down…didn’t run. WTF. Nock another arrow and he heads to an opening that I ranged earlier at 40…he stopped there and I figured I would try to get “another” arrow in him. “Good hit…maybe high” was my first thought. He trotted off and stopped 70 yards away and just stood there. Couldn’t get a good clear sight of him through the binoculars to check hit site as he was also standing facing directly away. Tail flicked a few times and then he disappeared- I thought he laid down. . Climbed down super quiet, nocked an arrow expecting to need a finishing shot but when I arrived he was gone. Found blood and backed out.
3722313039ebe1e9c6029c54b8f82288.jpg

Checked first arrow…perfectly clean- must have clipped a branch. Went to hit sight and couldn’t find the Second arrow or blood until the area where he last stood.

Backed all the way out, brought climber back to car and came back with help.

Tracked small drops and pinpricks, and then more drops for 450 yards before it seem to run dry.

High Backstrap (hopefully nonfatal) hit.

Frustrating.

that sucks !  hope you get another chance for a better ending to the season

• Like 1

On 12/20/2021 at 10:24 PM, boo711 said:

Isn’t it cool how you can sit there sometimes and get all kinds of pics and videos of them but when you want to shoot they “know” you are there or something isn’t right and they are on edge. 

Maybe they can feel that energy coming from us that makes us shake with buck fever?!

Pulled cards today during the "two minute warning" (can duck hunt but not deer hunt?) and finally found that crossbow bolt about 12 feet up in this oak tree. I knew it hit wood, must have richocheted off a downfall . Wouldn't trust that carbon fibre bolt again. 

Happy for the holiday hunt as lots of folks have off this coming week and thankful for extended hours as got both deer during that new window...thanks DEC

toohigh.jpg

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

It sure does feel weird getting ready to hunt on Christmas night.

The anticipation is killing me.  This is worse than opening day of gun season, as far as that goes.  I am packed and ready to go. I just finished a shower with scent killer soap/shampoo and my Evercalm and grunt call are packed.  The cargo carrier is loaded into the back of our mini-van, in case its needed to haul back a carcass.  I am bringing my small crossbow for the morning hunt. There is not much room, up in the stand where I am headed in the morning, and it is too close to about a dozen mobile homes to use my ML.  

Tomorrow will be my first hunt there this year during a "prime time" (outside of the nearly useless 10:00 - 2:00 time slot).  The only other time that I hunted in that spot during prime time, was back in 2018, when I blew a great chance at a fine 8-point with the very same crossbow.   A week later that year, when I killed him with my shotgun, he was down to 6 points and 182 pounds field-dressed.  Had I been able to take him before the rut, he may have dressed over 200 and he surely had all of his points then (they were easy to see and count from 15 yards away).  

I am also bringing my chainsaw, to clear trails in the woods, that were blocked by the big wind storm a couple weeks ago, and my in-line ML for the afternoon hunt down on the south edge of the woods.   I hope that I can find an empty Remington slugger under my new box-blind stand over there, so that I can complete a "shop project" that I have in mind.  

Even though I am a meat-first guy, I would be about 1/10th as excited about tomorrow, if I didn't still have a buck tag.  One thing that antlers are definitely good for, is cranking up the anticipation and making it harder to sleep.

Good luck to everyone who decided to take advantage of this special Christmas present from the NY state DEC, and get out there tomorrow. Hopefully, this thread gets lit up with lots of action.         

Smoked this matriarch on the 23rd. Easily the biggest doe I've ever seen. Her head was longer than my boot! Can't wait to see way her teeth age out as. She was a hard fought deer and a great way to end my season and retire my bow with. My first deer ever with that bow was a doe. This year I was able to not only kill my first coyote with that bow but also finish it's career as my primary with a doe. Seems very fitting and full circle.20211223_171024.jpg20211223_175506.jpg

https://www.instagram.com/thejerkman

#JerkmanCustoms
#WeDemandUnlimitedLikes

• Like 19