LIVE From The Woods 2021 Stories And Pictures Let's Have Em!

grampy

5 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

Ready for some action 20 minutes before sunrise behind the trailer park.  No gun so no orange hat needed.

551B971A-4A35-4A04-B32D-0F31FD188C74.jpeg

3AA1D6A3-8C2C-4B51-8AD9-AD0BB9C55996.jpeg

Crossbows are considered a firearm and orange must be worn. Even if that wasn’t the case, I’d still be wearing orange when other people are out with their muzzleloader. Just sayin...

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

Ready for some action 20 minutes before sunrise behind the trailer park.  No gun so no orange hat needed.

551B971A-4A35-4A04-B32D-0F31FD188C74.jpeg

3AA1D6A3-8C2C-4B51-8AD9-AD0BB9C55996.jpeg

I’ve been thinking about getting a crossbow. Which one is that? Maybe I’m wrong, but I thought the Barnett Recruit was illegal in NY?

Edited by NonTypical

52 minutes ago, NonTypical said:

Crossbows are considered a firearm and orange must be worn. Even if that wasn’t the case, I’d still be wearing orange when other people are out with their muzzleloader. Just sayin...

Sorry charly you are dead wrong on that one. Look up the dec regs, where it shows 500 ft setback requirement for shotguns, rifles, handguns, and muzzleloaders (all considered firearms), 100 ft for a vertical bow, and 250 ft for a crossbow.   

I assume that was the settlement that was reached with the anti crossbow group NYB.

I am good to go with no orange where I am because a firearm armed hunter would need to be in a boat or wearing hip boots to be more than 500 feet from the nearest trailer.

Your confusion is understandable considering that in other ways, ny’s laws consider a crossbow a muzzleloader.  

Your not the first one who is mixed on that.  Rules confusion runs rampant on this forum.

Edited by wolc123
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

Sorry charly you are dead wrong on that one.

They do say that crossbows are treated as a muzzleloader. That’s why I thought it was considered a firearm. Good luck and be safe. 

Edited by NonTypical
  • Like 1

Only action so far was a turkey taking flight from a tree top 40 yards behind me at sunrise and several appearances by this little guy 10 yards to my left.

That’s the edge of the swamp, 10 yards past the grey, and the closest double-wide trailer is 125 yards to my right.

It has warmed up a little now, so I removed my face mask to improve my radar (hearing).  Last time that I hunted this spot with my crossbow in prime-time, a big 8 pointer was able to sneak in to 15 yards undetected.  I don’t want a repeat of that today.

C2592B07-DBD6-4D14-98BA-739BA79FA764.jpeg

Edited by wolc123

I just took a ride over to my farm and was surprised at the number of vehicles parked in the usual hunter spots. There seems to be quite a few people out during this later season. If the weather cooperates I will give it a try myself this afternoon.

• Like 1

The law makes no sense that someone with a gun needs orange so someone else with a gun doesn’t shoot them, yet if that one persons doesn’t have a gun then they don’t need orange because somehow they are now immune to being shot?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 7

10 minutes ago, Belo said:

The law makes no sense that someone with a gun needs orange so someone else with a gun doesn’t shoot them, yet if that one persons doesn’t have a gun then they don’t need orange because somehow they are now immune to being shot?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most likely they just tacked on that orange hat OR vest requirement to make a safety improvement to compensate for a possible loss with the added half hours before and after the sun.

7 minutes ago, NonTypical said:

I still thought the crossbow requirement is at least a 17” axle to axle and the Barnett Recruit comes up short. Be safe out there. 

It is tip to tip uncocked, not axle to axle. My recruit measures 17.125”. That, and the maximum draw weight regs were also part of the NYB settlement to allow the crossbows in for the last two weeks (peak rut) of archery season back in 2014.

NYB must wield more political influence up in the northern zone, where the poor crossbow hunters get only three days before the guns come in, all of it way before the rut. 

Edited by wolc123

9 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

It is tip to tip uncocked, not axle to axle. My recruit measures 17.125”. That, and the maximum draw weight regs were also part of the NYB settlement to allow the crossbows in for the last two weeks (peak rut) of archery season back in 2014.

NYB must wield more political influence up in the northern zone, where the poor crossbow hunters get only three days before the guns come in, all of it way before the rut. 

Ok. It’s not axle to axle. My bad. Does 17.125” include the wheels or is that at the end of the limbs? I’m just curious. I don’t want to get jammed up. Thanks

14 minutes ago, NonTypical said:

Ok. It’s not axle to axle. My bad. Does 17.125” include the wheels or is that at the end of the limbs? I’m just curious. I don’t want to get jammed up. Thanks

I am pretty sure that it says to the tips of the limbs, but it may be to the widest point, which could include the wheels.

18 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

I am pretty sure that it says to the tips of the limbs, but it may be to the widest point, which could include the wheels.

Ok. Thanks. Because if it did include the wheels, it would be illegal. It is supposed to be from the tips of the limbs. There are many that don’t meet the requirements that NY has set forth. 

Edited by NonTypical

2 hours ago, NonTypical said:

I’ve been thinking about getting a crossbow. Which one is that? Maybe I’m wrong, but I thought the Barnett Recruit was illegal in NY?

That is a 2014 recruit that came in just above the state minimum at 17-1/8” tip to tip, uncocked.  With 7 years of stretch on the strings, it is probably well over at 17-1/2 or so by now.  

I am not sure if they still make this model but most manufacturers are well aware of the NY regs an offer compliant models for reasonable cost.  

I really like this one in tight little stands like this, compared to my CP sniper 370, because it is so compact and easy to handle.

I have killed 5 bucks with it, and never failed to recover one that I shot at.  The longest was at 59 yards, but I would not recommend using this 300 FPS model at that range.  Penetration was just 8 or 10 inches, which fortunately took the mechanical broadhead all the way thru that 6 pointers heart.

I am using it as a tape measure right now, so that I can make up a new board seat for this stand back at my shop later.

No deer seen this morning and it is almost the start of the 10-2 “deer less” period, so I am going to pull the plug and break out the chainsaw to clear  some trails on the other side of the swamp.

3E94EC70-5677-4ED0-BEF1-23A6158CAA84.jpeg

Edited by wolc123

We are in....tucked off a snowmobile trail.....no snow, so no worries this late season is killing the economy .....wet as all heck...but fun to be huting the day after xmas. This will be the only moring sit all week. Headed in around 12...having friends over for the Bill's game. We will switch up to 2:30-5 the other days we head out.25f5f247708971ac690631704974ad18.jpg

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

• Like 5