LIVE From The Woods 2021 Stories And Pictures Let's Have Em!

grampy

4 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Indian Shores near St. Pete’s in FL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heading to cocoa beach then Sarasota soon for the next two months . Bass fishing in fla on the way down and Tennessee on the way home . 

Think I see the sun in your pictures, weird ….

• Like 1

Went out today around 1, planned on doing a ground hunt with the bow. When I got there I changed plans to scouting. I found my first ever group of rubs, about 10 within 20 yrds, tracks every where. I was able to follow very clear defined deer trails, about 50 yrds from the rubs I bumped a 6 point buck. He didn't see me but spooked cause he heard me. 
I'm assuming based on the clear track trails, the tons of rubs, the near by bed, that this must be this bucks home. 
What do you guys think, should I set up tomorrow morning on one of his trails or leave him for the rut next year? He is in a spot that no one goes to, deep deep in the woods. 

Edit: Is there ever a members meet and greet or anything like that? I know literally know no one who hunts and would love to be able to swap stories, etc., in person. 

Where you located?

As to the buck, is it one you’d like to kill? If so, I’d be more inclined to set up in the afternoon between that bedding area and closest food assuming the wind is right for it. They are back in bed early this time of year and there’s a good chance you could bump him out trying to get in. Don’t wait until next year on something you’d kill today. Sometimes they come back, sometimes they don’t. Good luck!

• Like 1

Just now, TheHornHunter said:

Where you located?

As to the buck, is it one you’d like to kill? If so, I’d be more inclined to set up in the afternoon between that bedding area and closest food assuming the wind is right for it. They are back in bed early this time of year and there’s a good chance you could bump him out trying to get in. Don’t wait until next year on something you’d kill today. Sometimes they come back, sometimes they don’t. Good luck!

3M area, New Windsor.

100percent it's one I would kill with no doubts. I have yet to take down a buck, granted this is the first year where I have put in the effort. Your advice sounds logical, I will setup in the afternoon and see what happens. 

• Like 1

If anyone wants to see it first hand just grab some tracers and shoot right before dark. It's pretty crazy what some rounds do.

Sent from my moto g fast using Tapatalk

Yup. I’ve done this and watched rounds ricochet off the ground in front of my target and go well over my burm… was honestly worried I would start a. Forrest fire. This was after they hit a steel target

Went out today around 1, planned on doing a ground hunt with the bow. When I got there I changed plans to scouting. I found my first ever group of rubs, about 10 within 20 yrds, tracks every where. I was able to follow very clear defined deer trails, about 50 yrds from the rubs I bumped a 6 point buck. He didn't see me but spooked cause he heard me. 
I'm assuming based on the clear track trails, the tons of rubs, the near by bed, that this must be this bucks home. 
What do you guys think, should I set up tomorrow morning on one of his trails or leave him for the rut next year? He is in a spot that no one goes to, deep deep in the woods. 

Edit: Is there ever a members meet and greet or anything like that? I know literally know no one who hunts and would love to be able to swap stories, etc., in person. 

Hunt him now.. and yes we have done them in the past. Do you fish. You are welcome to join a group of us that will be fishing the Hudson this spring for stripers

• Like 1

Yup. I’ve done this and watched rounds ricochet off the ground in front of my target and go well over my burm… was honestly worried I would start a. Forrest fire. This was after they hit a steel target

Yep. We shot a bunch of 223 tracers s few years ago at night and those rounds were bouncing in all sorts of weird directions after minimal contact with a target. It is pretty unnerving actually, but a great learning tool.

• Like 1

Yep. We shot a bunch of 223 tracers s few years ago at night and those rounds were bouncing in all sorts of weird directions after minimal contact with a target. It is pretty unnerving actually, but a great learning tool.

Not gunna lie they are also fun as heck to shoot. I gave them for my M1 as well but will only shoot them out of 1 of them

3M area, New Windsor.

100percent it's one I would kill with no doubts. I have yet to take down a buck, granted this is the first year where I have put in the effort. Your advice sounds logical, I will setup in the afternoon and see what happens. 

I was going to say if you were in WNY I’d be happy to meet up but I’ll leave it to the guys down there.

Is there a good food source around or just random browse in the woods? Hell probably return to that area since he didn’t bust you too bad. Finding bedding is the toughest part so you have a lot of the heavy lifting done…now just gotta hunt it smart and hope you’re there when he is.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chef said:

Hunt him now.. and yes we have done them in the past. Do you fish. You are welcome to join a group of us that will be fishing the Hudson this spring for stripers

I fish all the time. Bought a kayak to fish stripers but never took it out on the Hudson.

Will drop you a pm, thanks.

1 hour ago, TheHornHunter said:

I was going to say if you were in WNY I’d be happy to meet up but I’ll leave it to the guys down there.

Is there a good food source around or just random browse in the woods? Hell probably return to that area since he didn’t bust you too bad. Finding bedding is the toughest part so you have a lot of the heavy lifting done…now just gotta hunt it smart and hope you’re there when he is.

I appreciate the offer.

I couldn't identify a food source, there is a field(just grass) that is about 300yrds away from the bed. Not sure if that is where he is feeding. I was thinking I would see if I could find a tree somewhere along his path and just wait. 

• Like 1

Up and ready to roll out. Never hunted on my birthday before. This feels weird. 

Happy birthday! We all pitched in and convinced the DEC to extend the season in honor of your birthday! Thought it would be better than a crappy card! You’re welcome!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2