LIVE From The Woods 2021 Stories And Pictures Let's Have Em!

grampy

I appreciate the offer.
I couldn't identify a food source, there is a field(just grass) that is about 300yrds away from the bed. Not sure if that is where he is feeding. I was thinking I would see if I could find a tree somewhere along his path and just wait. 

Grasses seem to be on the menu in 3S According to the guy who manages the deer program I’m a part of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, crappyice said:

Grasses seem to be on the menu in 3S According to the guy who manages the deer program I’m a part of.

Can he be more specific? Kentucky Bluegrass, Fescue, or rye?

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, phade said:

I have two half shed bucks on cam in Ohio. They have a MZ season Jan 8...and bow through to Feb.

It is pretty weird.

yeah when I lived in MS the season went well into January and still started on 10/1, although nobody hunted much early season because it was still f'n hot as balls. Their rut was also around christmas so it made sense.

I know these seasons aren't unheard of across the country, just feels off... which I'm sure it will become normal in a few years. 

PS I didn't see shit and heard no shots haha.

17 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Just drove home from arcade and theres a truck everywhere one can hunt. Darien is absolutely packed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I hunted darien one year. Passed a small 6 that I realize probably got pounded not too long after. It's a beautiful tract of land but I'm not sure how any deer would ever get big there.

15 hours ago, heavuser said:

Went out today around 1, planned on doing a ground hunt with the bow. When I got there I changed plans to scouting. I found my first ever group of rubs, about 10 within 20 yrds, tracks every where. I was able to follow very clear defined deer trails, about 50 yrds from the rubs I bumped a 6 point buck. He didn't see me but spooked cause he heard me. 

I'm assuming based on the clear track trails, the tons of rubs, the near by bed, that this must be this bucks home. 

What do you guys think, should I set up tomorrow morning on one of his trails or leave him for the rut next year? He is in a spot that no one goes to, deep deep in the woods. 

Edit: Is there ever a members meet and greet or anything like that? I know literally know no one who hunts and would love to be able to swap stories, etc., in person. 

I think your near me  in orange county right

1 minute ago, Belo said:

I hunted darien one year. Passed a small 6 that I realize probably got pounded not too long after. It's a beautiful tract of land but I'm not sure how any deer would ever get big there.

@Arcade Hunter got a nice buck out of there last year, archery obviously. It sure gets pressure! Ive never been in there

15 hours ago, heavuser said:

Went out today around 1, planned on doing a ground hunt with the bow. When I got there I changed plans to scouting. I found my first ever group of rubs, about 10 within 20 yrds, tracks every where. I was able to follow very clear defined deer trails, about 50 yrds from the rubs I bumped a 6 point buck. He didn't see me but spooked cause he heard me. 

I'm assuming based on the clear track trails, the tons of rubs, the near by bed, that this must be this bucks home. 

What do you guys think, should I set up tomorrow morning on one of his trails or leave him for the rut next year? He is in a spot that no one goes to, deep deep in the woods. 

Edit: Is there ever a members meet and greet or anything like that? I know literally know no one who hunts and would love to be able to swap stories, etc., in person. 

there are some members here who swear by and are successful hunting "buck beds". Personally, I love to hunt the chase and rut so I don't pay too much attention to this concept.

However, any hunter worth his salt will find rubs, scrapes and trails and setup shop. You scouted, found sign and now need to setup a stand somewhere where you can hunt a good intersection of those runs where your wind is right and you're not skylined. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I hate everyone that hunts anything but deer during deer season. Its a character flaw, Im working on it

i forget how the seasons line up or lined up at that time like 10+ years ago but I liked having a 15 minute drive to go take my dog for a hike and maybe get lucky with a ring neck. But yeah it continues on into deer and I was hunting the field edges because all the deer hunters were on the other side of the park. I figured, I'd go where hunters weren't and yeah the deer were there... but so were the bird hunters lol. I learned why the deer hunters weren't. 

• Haha 1

I may have a small window to get out for the last hour of light tomorrow. But planning to hunt Friday and Saturday in all likelihood. Dry Friday but light, steady rain on Saturday might make things more difficult. Thinking about throwing a blind up in prep for Saturday to encourage me to sit in a spot that might give me more action than where our hardsides are. 

Bucks are hitting brassica plots this week now. Almost non existent previously. All at night however. These temps just are not forcing the feed bag. 

37 minutes ago, phade said:

Bucks are hitting brassica plots this week now. Almost non existent previously. All at night however. These temps just are not forcing the feed bag. 

It's funny how deer hit food sources differently depending on the area. A buddies brassica food plot just up the rd has been hit by the deer hard since mid Oct. Back in Oct/ early Nov they were mainly browsing the tops, now they are kicking up roots and eating them.

7 minutes ago, ncountry said:

It's funny how deer hit food sources differently depending on the area. A buddies brassica food plot just up the rd has been hit by the deer hard since mid Oct. Back in Oct/ early Nov they were mainly browsing the tops, now they are kicking up roots and eating them.

Never touched any turnips in 8F region 2 yrs in a row.. switched to soybean and they destroyed it before the first frost.

1 minute ago, suburbanfarmer said:

Deer are used to certain area food sources I think. In 8N , you plant anything and they will eat it. Too much AG country in 8F so they are picky

Most likely. "His" deer probably never saw a beet or turnip in their lives, except maybe if they raided someone's garden. Pretty much all the local woods are brushy thick cover

(not like the open hardwoods I've seen a lot of in 8m, for example) we have a few fields that have soybeans or corn ,depending on the year. I'd say 100% of the deer make it to the ag fields at night. For many its a decent walk, 1/2 mile or so, they are happy to munch on his foodplots during the daylight on the way.lol

43 minutes ago, ncountry said:

We have planted them before pretty heavily and we're seeing under-utilization like never before. That's across a few different properties miles apart. It's a weird year. We don't rely on the plots but often late season you can find one or two situations where you can make a move. This season - not a single move so far to be had.

Between cams, scouting, and stand observations, there isn't a four year old in the mix. A pair of three year olds that we'd prefer make it to next year - both 110-120. A buck we counted on being around this time is MIA; we have his shed from last season and he was a homebody for the late season on our ground. He disappeared after velvet and I have to assume someone cleaned his clock. Shame because we passed him due to a broken g2 last three days of MZ last year. He was a bully buck and was at least 5.5 this year. 

• Like 2

We have planted them before pretty heavily and we're seeing under-utilization like never before. That's across a few different properties miles apart. It's a weird year. We don't rely on the plots but often late season you can find one or two situations where you can make a move. This season - not a single move so far to be had.
Between cams, scouting, and stand observations, there isn't a four year old in the mix. A pair of three year olds that we'd prefer make it to next year - both 110-120. A buck we counted on being around this time is MIA; we have his shed from last season and he was a homebody for the late season on our ground. He disappeared after velvet and I have to assume someone cleaned his clock. Shame because we passed him due to a broken g2 last three days of MZ last year. He was a bully buck and was at least 5.5 this year. 

We’ve got god knows how many acres of winter wheat, cut corn and beans with tons of waste grain and some brassicas…best field by far with most consistent action is a tilled over clover field. Very strange year