LIVE From The Woods 2021 Stories And Pictures Let's Have Em!

grampy

37 minutes ago, TheHornHunter said:

We’ve got god knows how many acres of winter wheat, cut corn and beans with tons of waste grain and some brassicas…best field by far with most consistent action is a tilled over clover field. Very strange year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitely not a normal year; will be nice to get out a few times more and move into shed season. Probably have 5-6 more sits between NY and Ohio. I've had my chances in both states but they've all added up to no shots taken, just out of range or by stupid sheer luck of not having a clear shot. That probably is the most frustrating part of it, lol. So close, but yet so far.

Came out for an afternoon sit. When I left the house the wind was right for this stand that over looks 2 food plots. No that I’m up here the wind is blowing right into the one food plot. Oh well.

No snow and 37 degrees. It will be interesting.
8420ced5bdc04ec30cb07bac7682de70.jpg
24993550817e15b7dc757cd3f03dca0d.jpg

• Like 2

Definitely not a normal year; will be nice to get out a few times more and move into shed season. Probably have 5-6 more sits between NY and Ohio. I've had my chances in both states but they've all added up to no shots taken, just out of range or by stupid sheer luck of not having a clear shot. That probably is the most frustrating part of it, lol. So close, but yet so far.

I hear you man, same story here but add in a misfire and shooting the wrong deer… which happened on consecutive hunts. Glad I went to Kansas lol. I’ll be out each afternoon trying to catch up with the buck I messed up on, but chances are probably slim to none I see him. The Ohio MZ can be really good if the weather is right. I’ve hunted it 3 years, one was super cold and really good hunting while the other 2 were almost summer weather and barely saw a deer

In case anyone is curious I got a good example of how far a buck will go after it’s jumped this morning… I kicked up a 2 or 3 year old still hunting and 20 minutes later it trotted by a cell cam a mile away on the other side of the road. Honestly pretty surprised… he passed by plenty of good options within 1/4 to 1/2 mile but I guess felt the need to cross a road and over a half mile of open fields in broad daylight

• Like 6

2 hours ago, TheHornHunter said:

In case anyone is curious I got a good example of how far a buck will go after it’s jumped this morning… I kicked up a 2 or 3 year old still hunting and 20 minutes later it trotted by a cell cam a mile away on the other side of the road. Honestly pretty surprised… he passed by plenty of good options within 1/4 to 1/2 mile but I guess felt the need to cross a road and over a half mile of open fields in broad daylight

how can you tell it was same deer? unique rack?

29 minutes ago, mlammerhirt said:

I need to get my ducks in a row for that adventure.....definitely get pics or coyotes and fox.

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

Like I said ,lmk if you want any help .I’ll get ya going .The kids will be way more excited checking traps than hunting these boring deer lol

Edited by WNYTRPR
  • Like 2

Made it out this afternoon for my 44th sit with the bow. Second sit of the "holiday" season.  Woke up this morning to two inches of snow that has since melted. To top things off it started to rain around 4:00 so everything is wet. Water laying everywhere in all the fields and a lot of mud. Found out my Rockies leak but at least I did see a nice big doe head up the hill towards me. She stopped @ 60 yds or so and decided to take a turn so no shot. First deer I have seen during the day since 12/12 and only catching them on cams at night.

I would love to bag the deer season and get some traps out, but the ground here is just saturated, so it makes no sense.

IMG_20211229_152558[1].jpg

• Like 1

Took a chance and ended up getting busted. I wanted to hunt this field Sunday which is where I misfired on the 9pt but there was 8 million does there at 130 so I went somewhere else. Pulled cards yesterday and the 9pt day lighted at 430 Sunday 50 yards from where I misfired on him. As you can see in the second pic, this spot has a boat load of does and I knew there was a risk one of them would bust me but figured it was worth the risk. This particular doe got about 3 steps from me sitting on the ground and then made a scene for the next 20 minutes. It was like watching an accident in slow motion and I knew it was going to happen as soon as I saw her… probably should have just killed her. Oh well. Hopefully wind forecast is right and we get an east wind tomorrow night so I can go after him in a different spot that’s easier to hunt

c89066d13ef86b69fdf234294ed1c7d3.jpg

542dedb8852190c10a5549fa2882b864.jpg

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, TheHornHunter said:

Took a chance and ended up getting busted. I wanted to hunt this field Sunday which is where I misfired on the 9pt but there was 8 million does there at 130 so I went somewhere else. Pulled cards yesterday and the 9pt day lighted at 430 Sunday 50 yards from where I misfired on him. As you can see in the second pic, this spot has a boat load of does and I knew there was a risk one of them would bust me but figured it was worth the risk. This particular doe got about 3 steps from me sitting on the ground and then made a scene for the next 20 minutes. It was like watching an accident in slow motion and I knew it was going to happen as soon as I saw her… probably should have just killed her. Oh well. Hopefully wind forecast is right and we get an east wind tomorrow night so I can go after him in a different spot that’s easier to hunt

c89066d13ef86b69fdf234294ed1c7d3.jpg

542dedb8852190c10a5549fa2882b864.jpg

So .. much .. food walking around. 

• Like 3

So .. much .. food walking around. 

I’ve filled lots of freezers for my friends and family this season. One anterless tag left and definitely plan on punching it. I wish some of the other hunters in my hood would shoot does, seems like they are mostly just interested in horns, which leads to pics like that

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, TheHornHunter said:

I’ve filled lots of freezers for my friends and family this season. One anterless tag left and definitely plan on punching it. I wish some of the other hunters in my hood would shoot does, seems like they are mostly just interested in horns, which leads to pics like that

Nice, so many of us looking to fill our freezers like you but no abundance of free range deer ripe for the easy taking like that!

• Like 1

Nice, so many of us looking to fill our freezers like you but no abundance of free range deer ripe for the easy taking like that!

We’re spoiled in western NY ag country. Come to 8H and knock on some doors. There’s no shortage of does and farmers love people willing to kill them. This property is a permission piece that started with just killing does on it

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TheHornHunter said:

I have 3 tags valid state wide...all 3 can be doe if you got a spot open..will need help loading after the shot :) 

Just saying

Edited by suburbanfarmer
  • Like 1

I am out for the morning sit, in what has been my most productive stand this season.  There have been a couple “regulars” (a forky and a bb) using the clover plot that it looks over for most of the fall, but they haven’t shown up in the afternoons for a few weeks.  

Forky will get a pass if he shows up this morning, but bb will not.  My Evercalm is running short, so I am rationing what’s left.  I only wiped it on one boot heel, for the walk back, and I just took the top off, rather than wipe some on my tree.  It may not help with the deer, but at least there will not be any of them ugly white wax marks left on my parent’s cherry tree.

The weather is almost perfect, overcast, 40 degrees, 5 mph NE wind.

I am planning to hunt my trailer park stand, near the opposite corner of these woods, with my crossbow this evening.  There was no deer action there, on the last morning that I hunted it, so I thought I would give an evening a try.

2622E730-0CC6-4887-A4DA-0B5603C8B2E4.thumb.jpeg.a17bb316b6959a8b234656694db2b0e6.jpeg

• Like 3

Tapping out. Damp air makes it feel colder than it actually is. Not even the birds are out here.

Done for the season. Heading home, wash hunting clothes and pack em up. I seriously don't know what to make of this season. Dudes sitting in my blinds, putting up ladder stands 30 yards from one, and a few other issues. If hunting is on the decline a lot of hunters didn't get the memo.

Best of luck to those still grinding it out and congrats to everyone who filled tags.