LIVE From The Woods 2021 Stories And Pictures Let's Have Em!

grampy

They were all half hour before dark or more. I never shoot to empty my ML just twist out breech. Pellets tip out and go into the practice container and push out the sabot. No muss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

FSW's WORST nightmare........

Why would that be?  I have no problem hanging 2 above average Ny bucks and filling 3-4 doe tags year after year . Not real tough really.   I like the fools that had problems seeing and killing deer for 3 months, sit for an extra week and then kill the one and only deer they see. And then wonder why they have no deer on their property.             Those are the smart so called sportsmen.   Kinda like the ones still crying for a songbird season in Ny. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, TheHornHunter said:

I have to dispose of a carcass regardless of guts in it or not. Maybe weighs 30 pounds more. I don’t mind gutting just didn’t see the need since I was going to be breaking her down in the morning regardless

So you left her overnight with the guts in?

3 minutes ago, Belo said:

I’m glad this is over with. .

LOL yea me too.  I put a ton of miles on the truck the past 2.5 months and probably stressed marriage. Again lol.  She's a good woman and I'm BACK!!!

9 months from now we crank it up again....... :)

• Like 4

Well that's a wrap. Went out looking for one more for the freezer. Found a spot to sit facing into the wind. Just in front of me is a creek, then a few acres of thick stuff where they hide until dusk. They came out right on time, but at a distance that I didn't feel confident shooting. In the lower lighting, it could have been 150 -250 yds. I've only practiced it to about 100 and didn't want to risk a marginal shot, so they'll be safe until next year.

IMG_20220101_152845742.jpg

10 minutes ago, Fletch said:

They were all half hour before dark or more. I never shoot to empty my ML just twist out breech. Pellets tip out and go into the practice container and push out the sabot. No muss.

That’s what I usually do.  I didn’t reload after the deer I shot went down tonight, because it was clearly down for the count.  

After reading of several misfires on here this year,  I wasn’t 100 % sure that the gun would go off. I had loaded it a couple weeks ago, at the start of the normal late ML season.  When I finished hunting each day, I just pulled the primer and locked the gun up out in my unheated barn.

Fortunately, the (2) 6 year old, 50 gr. t7 pellets touched off just like they are supposed to. I was running low on those but LAWD came thru with 88 more for me this week. 

That’s the third time that  I unloaded for the season on an animal (the other two were a red fox (Biz probably remembers that one), and a grey squirrel, that just happened to show up at the right time.  

All the other times, I remove the breech plug and push out the bullet and powder.  I then reinstall the plug and spray in sone foaming bore cleaner thru the plug using the little plastic tube.   I can skip the breech plug removal step tonight, thanks to the timely appearance of the button buck.

Forky didn’t show up tonight.  I’ll be after him again this November, with my crossbow, if he doubles his point count in the off-season.

• Like 1

Here he is! Kinda hard to take pics in rain but glad I was able to finally kill this buck after so many encounters and screw ups on my part

ad3d203c38b44f0baf96e4acd5ed71af.jpg

80b49f5549abc6a96c4de663338d2040.jpg

Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

Hell in Ny..2.5 is something but for anyone in my circle of “Trophy” hunters 3.5 is bare minimum for maturity to get harvested. 

I shot a 3.5, my dad shot a 4.5, chef shot a 3.5. All confirmed by deerage.com

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

So you left her overnight with the guts in?

Yep. They weren’t punctured or anything and it was less than 40. To be honest this method had me weirder out at first too but I’ve been in multiple deer camps out of state last few years where that’s how they do it and I’ve never noticed any difference in taste or quality.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

We need it!

Every year this forum has at least one New York giant killed, sometimes a few. But this year none.

After a stellar season in '20, I only got a single deer to mount from the forum during the '21 Season!