LIVE From The Woods 2021 Stories And Pictures Let's Have Em!

grampy

2 minutes ago, TheHornHunter said:

Thanks! Pretty sure he’s 4 based on trail cam history. He lost a good amount of weight the last month but no doubt he was mature when you see him coming thru the timber

c87903fdf3ae41e2bf5aeb64ab130e96.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly. When you see those real “Special” bucks one does not have to look twice. Great late season buck. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, TheHornHunter said:

Yep. They weren’t punctured or anything and it was less than 40. To be honest this method had me weirder out at first too but I’ve been in multiple deer camps out of state last few years where that’s how they do it and I’ve never noticed any difference in taste or quality.

i dont know, how can you be sure if the shot didnt rupture the esophagus and now stomach matter is all leaking in there?

Gut it out asap!! or break it down and cool it up but thats my rule.. You do your way :)  

Edited by suburbanfarmer

After a stellar season in '20, I only got a single deer to mount from the forum during the '21 Season!

Interesting! But yea seems like an off year for “giants”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

23 minutes ago, Four Seasons said:

I have no problem being the only guy that has the nads to say the facts.  

More like the misconception that you are in sole possession of the facts.  It has nothing to do with having big balls, just an inflated opinion of yourself.  You make moderate sense if you stick to the facts. I happen to know some world class hunters, including the Benoits.  The one thing that they all have in common is that they are humble and are secure enough that they don't have to brag or put other hunters down.  Happy New Year boss.

• Like 7

So my goal of making memories over meat was a success. lol

I sat staring from my ladder stand at the distant scenery of rolling farmland and wooded hills and pondering. 

The fog rolled in around 4pm and it was like someone turned off the lights. Then at 4:40 I caught a quick glimpse of a deer beginning to enter he field about 150 yards from me at an entirely predictable, if not likely spot. I could catch just a flash of his rack as he obviously became alarmed, spun, and bolted back into the scrub apples. 

I couldn't figure what triggered him to react so quickly. The wind certainly had turned to his favor but the breeze was light and being uphill from him and in a ladder stand I questioned how he could have scented me. He got out of there so fast I wondered if he actually saw me move. 

Minutes later I saw him crossing the field in the direction he had wanted to go in the first place making his way to the now cut cornfields. I couldn't see his rack at that point but his large body cruising across the foggy field was unmistakeable. 

Had he not bolted and crossed the field in front of me, he would have been broadside at about 75 yards. An easy shot for me, and one I have made many times resulting in one shot one deer. 

Calling it a season I gathered my stuff, climbed down, and headed to my four wheeler I had parked in a brushy island. It was then that I discovered what tipped him off! Like a knucklehead I had parked my wheeler hidden from me, but in plain view for him. 

Basically, he had walked up my tractor trail and was about to enter the field, and came face to face with my wheeler less than 50 yards from where he was standing.  That was all he needed to to tell him to make a hasty exit. I goofed up and he won! 

I'll think about him during the off season and hope we cross paths again next year. :  )

I will try to put him and a few other of my trail cam pics in the proper thread on this site for those interested. I'm really not that good at this so will enlist the help of my resident IT expert, my wife. 

Edited by New York Hillbilly
  • Like 4

Hell in Ny..2.5 is something but for anyone in my circle of “Trophy” hunters 3.5 is bare minimum for maturity to get harvested. 

So in your group this is a respectable trophy ?

dae32367f2dfa9bfdfe6665a36b8125c.jpg

43 minutes ago, stubborn1VT said:

More like the misconception that you are in sole possession of the facts.  It has nothing to do with having big balls, just an inflated opinion of yourself.  You make moderate sense if you stick to the facts. I happen to know some world class hunters, including the Benoits.  The one thing that they all have in common is that they are humble and are secure enough that they don't have to brag or put other hunters down.  Happy New Year boss.

Well by all means you feel free to go back and read my answer to a shot fired at me and tell us all just what’s not fact in any of my words?   Because I can prove every word as fact!!!

51 minutes ago, TheHornHunter said:

Yep. They weren’t punctured or anything and it was less than 40. To be honest this method had me weirder out at first too but I’ve been in multiple deer camps out of state last few years where that’s how they do it and I’ve never noticed any difference in taste or quality.

It was less than 40 last night at some point but it sure climbed fast. LOL

Silly me, I was concerned about the increasing temperatures last night and even bought a 8lb bag of ice in the afternoon yesterday and set it on top of the hindquarters when I got home to help cool things off. (warm air rises, cold air falls)  Overnight most of the ice melted (it was 38 when I turned in around 10:30) and at noon today it was close to 50.  

If I shot a deer last night at 5:00 pm last night and quartered it at say what, 10am (it was 49 degrees in Rochester at 10am) this morning, that's 17 hours (check my math Bizzy) later.   That deer would go in the dumpster down the street. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Chef said:

So in your group this is a respectable trophy ?

dae32367f2dfa9bfdfe6665a36b8125c.jpg

For a couple of them that buck would fall with a full rack during the regular season.          Here on this property he would get a full pass broken up. Just because we have lots of good bucks and more then enough ladies to fill the meat issue. 

• Like 2

Silly me, I was concerned about the increasing temperatures last night and even bought a 8lb bag of ice in the afternoon yesterday and set it on top of the hindquarters when I got home to help cool things off. (warm air rises, cold air falls)  Overnight most of the ice melted (it was 38 when I turned in around 10:30) and at noon today it was close to 50.  
If I shot a deer last night at 5:00 pm last night and quartered it at say what, 10am (it was 49 degrees in Rochester at 10am) this morning, that's 17 hours (check my math Bizzy) later.   That deer would go in the dumpster down the street. 

I guess it’s the same as if he recovered it this morning?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

Yup 17hrs at any temps over 40 without gutting...just not worth the risk.

Now of course what you did makes sense to me and with the coming low teen temps, let it hang for a week and no concerns 

4 minutes ago, suburbanfarmer said:

Now of course what you did makes sense to me and with the coming low teen temps, let it hang for a week and no concerns 

Been there ,ate that .I wouldn’t toss it .

Yup it’s simple food science… in the business we call it the temperature danger zone

Dude you have no idea what you’re talking about. People leave deer sit over night all the time in warmer temps. I tag out pretty much every year and no one has ever said one even slightly negative thing about meat I’ve served. Go down south and talk to those boys about gutting. It will blow your mind. Just because someone does something different than you doesn’t mean it’s wrong or you should shit all over it. You’re literally the worse type of hunter… the one that always has to give his opinion when no one gives two shits about it

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TheHornHunter said:

Dude you have no idea what you’re talking about. People leave deer sit over night all the time in warmer temps. I tag out pretty much every year and no one has ever said one even slightly negative thing about meat I’ve served. Go down south and talk to those boys about gutting. It will blow your mind. Just because someone does something different than you doesn’t mean it’s wrong or you should shit all over it. You’re literally the worse type of hunter… the one that always has to give his opinion when no one gives two shits about it

On the bright side, your cooking times for your venison are cut in half because it is partially cooked.

• Like 2