LIVE From The Woods 2021 Stories And Pictures Let's Have Em!

grampy

28 minutes ago, Four Seasons said:

Well by all means you feel free to go back and read my answer to a shot fired at me and tell us all just what’s not fact in any of my words?   Because I can prove every word as fact!!!

Just writing about your attitude in general on this site.  Pound your chest, you're the best, nobody else can do what do, look down on people with less time, drive, opportunity or experience.  To top it off you try to tell other hunters why they hunt. Maybe you don't realize you're doing it.  Maybe you're just a dick.  Dunno.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, stubborn1VT said:

Just writing about your attitude in general on this site.  Pound your chest, you're the best, nobody else can do what do, look down on people with less time, drive, opportunity or experience.  To top it off you try to tell other hunters why they hunt. Maybe you don't realize you're doing it.  Maybe you're just a dick.  Dunno.  

Maybe your the insecure one that thinks those words have those meanings?                 Somebody says I have an issue with deer harvests when I probably put more and bigger deer on the pole every year then most. If the truth and fact makes you feel bad then that’s your issue.                             As far as others shooting other deer you won’t hear me say a word Unless those people brag up about killing babies on one post and then have the gall to answer another hunters questions about how to become a better hunter on another post. Yeah that might get a reaction. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Four Seasons said:

Maybe your the insecure one that thinks those words have those meanings?                 Somebody says I have an issue with deer harvests when I probably put more and bigger deer on the pole every year then most. If the truth and fact makes you feel bad then that’s your issue.                             As far as others shooting other deer you won’t hear me say a word Unless those people brag up about killing babies on one post and then have the gall to answer another hunters questions about how to become a better hunter on another post. Yeah that might get a reaction. 

Oh I'm all good.  I just can't figure out why you're even on this site.  You know it all and you have plenty of comments on other hunters.  You confuse opinion and fact.  You manage to brag, showing you need someone else's approval.  

I don't agree with what everyone else does, but me writing about it on the internet isn't going to change them.  You don't bring anything to the site that I can see.  I guess I shouldn't have bothered to respond at all.  I just think you're on here to make yourself seem like a big deal and that's sad.  

• Like 5

Congratulations to everyone who punched a tag this year and to those who didn't but enjoyed themselves anyway.

Congratulations to those who learned from their time in the woods.

Congratulations to those who just got out and were able to clear their minds...

A big Congratulations to anyone who just experienced their first season hunting deer in NY and an even bigger thank you for joining us.

Memories made, freezers filled... lessons learned. 

TIME WELL SPENT.

Some will hang racks and others won't.

How ł/you/we measure success vs how anyone else measures success is irrelevant.

Some of us made memories we will cherish forever. Whether they were first time experiences or unbeknownst to us, the last of many because we may lose someone we love and/or enjoy spending time with before we have another chance to make more memories with them.

The petty strife is setting in and it's depressing.

Thank you to everyone who kept this thread and the overall forum positive and had allowed others to learn from or take pleasure while reading about your experiences.

Here's to a successful and drama free 2022...

Edited by XGX7PM
  • Like 19

3 hours ago, blackbeltbill said:

Damn- you keep these posts up and you will take over my spot as most Hated Member.

He's been real aggressive about the ethics of the holiday hunt. At first I thought he was joking but it seems he really has his jollies in a knot over it. 

Edited by heavuser

7 minutes ago, heavuser said:

He's been real aggressive about the ethics of the holiday hunt. At first I thought he was joking but it seems he really has his jollies in a knot over it. 

The Holiday hunt was my favorite of the new changes that the NY state DEC blessed us with this year, and the fourth, that put meat in my freezer (early September antlerless gun, Adirondack antlerless ML, and 1/2 hour past sunset were the others).

I hope that all of the changes will continue in future seasons.  Belo’s poll really shows the overwhelming support of hunters for the Holiday season in particular.  

One thing FSW and I agree on, is that there should be full inclusion of crossbow during archery season.  I would prefer that archery season be split between “traditional” from Oct 1-14, where only longbows and recurves could be used.  October 15 thru opening day of gun should be “modern”, where compounds and crossbows could be used.

In my opinion, as a pure meat hunter, the changes that the DEC gave us this year are way better than full inclusion of crossbow.  

Without those changes, my soup would very likely have 7 of those little green paper tags in it right now, instead of just 3.  

51 minutes ago, stubborn1VT said:

Oh I'm all good.  I just can't figure out why you're even on this site.  You know it all and you have plenty of comments on other hunters.  You confuse opinion and fact.  You manage to brag, showing you need someone else's approval.  

I don't agree with what everyone else does, but me writing about it on the internet isn't going to change them.  You don't bring anything to the site that I can see.  I guess I shouldn't have bothered to respond at all.  I just think you're on here to make yourself seem like a big deal and that's sad.  

Sounds like you are a little jelly there my friend. You keep talking smack about fact but yet fail to be able to show anything I say is not fact. Everything l have in my life and my hunting life is earned. Not my fault if you feel a lesser hunter or person because you can’t do the same.  Maybe you should work on improving yourself if you are that worried about other people levels.   You again have the floor to show anything I say is not fact. But I’m sure your reply won’t be able to accomplish that.  

14 minutes ago, TheHornHunter said:

You got it! That’s my rule of thumb… if I have to look twice then he doesn’t get shot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful how you talk about really “Hunting” and only taking the best of the best.  Lots of jelly on this site. 

• Like 1

i dont know, how can you be sure if the shot didnt rupture the esophagus and now stomach matter is all leaking in there?
Gut it out asap!! or break it down and cool it up but thats my rule.. You do your way   

Honestly up until about a year ago I gutted every deer I shot as soon as I got to it. But then I spent some time hunting in the south and the Midwest and they will let it hang for a day with the guts in it in 50-60 degree weather. I’d never push it that far, but us northerners were the butt of quite a few gutting comments. So after those experiences and spending time with outfitters that deal with 50+ deer a year I’m willing to let it sit over night and deal with it in the morning when it’s around 40 or lower. I’m not saying my way is the best way by any means, or that anyone else should copy it and honestly don’t even know how the whole gutting thing came up. My buck is going to be hanging for at least a day so he’s gutted

• Thanks 1

Honestly up until about a year ago I gutted every deer I shot as soon as I got to it. But then I spent some time hunting in the south and the Midwest and they will let it hang for a day with the guts in it in 50-60 degree weather. I’d never push it that far, but us northerners were the butt of quite a few gutting comments. So after those experiences and spending time with outfitters that deal with 50+ deer a year I’m willing to let it sit over night and deal with it in the morning when it’s around 40 or lower. I’m not saying my way is the best way by any means, or that anyone else should copy it and honestly don’t even know how the whole gutting thing came up. My buck is going to be hanging for at least a day so he’s gutted

So as a trained chef, with butcher experience and someone who is also a serve safe instructor

The guts need to come out ASAP. Just because others have done it doesn’t make it right. Will it be ok 9/10 times sure.

Why don’t you come over for a drink we can play Russian roulette. 5/6 times it should be no issue.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, TheHornHunter said:

Do you eat the tenderloins after leaving the guts in overnight ?  How is their flavor ?  

Edited by wolc123

On the bright side, your cooking times for your venison are cut in half because it is partially cooked.

You do with your deer as you please and I’ll do with mine as I please. If I’m interested in your opinion I’ll ask, otherwise keep it to yourself… especially when it adds zero value. This forum shouldn’t be one for petty bullshit

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, TheHornHunter said:

You do with your deer as you please and I’ll do with mine as I please. If I’m interested in your opinion I’ll ask, otherwise keep it to yourself… especially when it adds zero value. This forum shouldn’t be one for petty bullshit

Now you catching on. Just your site name alone will have some of the petty ones after you and I can 100% promise you that if you start putting up a couple great bucks every year like the one you did today you will be amazed how the ones that can’t or won’t do it come after you.   

• Like 1

Do you eat the tenderloins after leaving the guts in overnight ?  How is their flavor ?  

Just like every other tenderloin. I’m really blown away here… I literally blew this deer’s heart out and quartered it the morning after I killed it. I think it was low 40s out by time I got it in my fridge. Would anyone be making a peep if I couldn’t find the deer and came back to find it in the morning? What if I gut shot it and had to leave it overnight or all the bow bucks left over night in 50+ temps? You all are way too wound up tight

• Like 1

Just like every other tenderloin. I’m really blown away here… I literally blew this deer’s heart out and quartered it the morning after I killed it. I think it was low 40s out by time I got it in my fridge. Would anyone be making a peep if I couldn’t find the deer and came back to find it in the morning? What if I gut shot it and had to leave it overnight or all the bow bucks left over night in 50+ temps? You all are way too wound up tight

The difference is those are done out of necessity yours was done by choice. Like I said previously. 9/10 times it’s fine. But why choose to treat your hard earned meat poorly.

We all work so hard for these deer why not treat the meat with the highest of standards.

• Like 3

Now you catching on. Just your site name alone will have some of the petty ones after you and I can 100% promise you that if you start putting up a couple great bucks every year like the one you did today you will be amazed how the ones that can’t or won’t do it come after you.   

Lol I see that. I’ve never caught so much shit about a damn deer before

The difference is those are done out of necessity yours was done by choice. Like I said previously. 9/10 times it’s fine. But why choose to treat your hard earned meat poorly.

We all work so hard for these deer why not treat the meat with the highest of standards.

The outcome is the same and this meat will be the same as every other deer I’ve killed

18 minutes ago, TheHornHunter said:

Exactly. The same ones would be telling you to back out overnight and go find her in the morning. You go back and read the posts from this season and you will see piles of the same. Unreal. Your deer, Your Choice yet the few think they need to tell you how to do it. And after looking at your success just as of late they maybe should be asking for pointers instead of trying to tell you what you should do with your Kill.  Amazing!!!

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, TheHornHunter said:

Lol I see that. I’ve never caught so much shit about a damn deer before

Its a public forum, imho we are all just stating what we would do.  If i find a deer after the shot I am gutting it.. no way going to delay that no matter what the temp is..again just something that i have done for over 2 decades.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Four Seasons said:

Exactly. The same ones would be telling you to back out overnight and go find her in the morning. You go back and read the posts from this season and you will see piles of the same. Unreal. Your deer, Your Choice yet the few think they need to tell you how to do it. And after looking at your success just as of late they maybe should be asking for pointers instead of trying to tell you what you should do with your Kill.  Amazing!!!

I learn something new every day so will take any pointers from a successful hunter..leaving a deer over night is never the first choice but when in doubt do back out.

The salvaged meat is always questionable :( if the over night temps are high but the idea is that due to a bad shot the deer is alive late in the night and was alive until few hrs of recovery in the morning.

Edited by suburbanfarmer

5 hours ago, TheHornHunter said:

I am sorry and I meant no offense. I agree that some of the others are overreacting a touch.  I only asked about the tenderloins, because several members here have mentioned that they are not overly fond of that cut.  I usually find them to be the best-tasting part of the deer. 

The only ones, that I wasn’t thrilled with, were those from a probable 5.5 year old plus doe that I killed up in the Adirondacks last October.  One of those was so tough, I could barely chew it when cooked the day after she was killed.  The other was still a little chewy, after 6 days in the fridge.

I go to extra lengths, to make sure those tenderloins taste as good as possible.  Step one is a quick, clean kill.  Step two is to get the guts out ASAP (butt out helps with that).  Step three is cut the pelvis with a folding saw and make sure the channel is wide open and clear of all piss and shit.  Step four is rinse them good with clean blood from forward of the diaphragm.  

When I get the gutted deer hung up, I dry them off with paper towels, cut then out, put them in a zip lock bag, then into the fridge in the house.  If they are from a button buck, they can be eaten right away.  If they are from an older deer, they are better after a few days, so that the rigor mortis can pass.  

These from the 3.5 year old corn-fed buck that I killed this year were about the best tasting and textured ones that I can recall, after 6 days in the fridge.

I think the reasons most have not liked the tenderloins is: first, they are eating them near the state of maximum rigor-mortis, which peaks 6 to 8 hours after the kill. Second, they are tainted with piss, shit, or gut-juice.  

Congrats on that beauty of a buck, that you killed at the buzzer this year.  Hopefully,  you get to enjoy his tenderloins and they taste real good.  

72DBD3DD-2F05-4F88-987A-4068F1DB19DB.jpeg

CD5EC975-1DC7-457E-A412-A2BA7FBCA544.jpeg

B5F7DEAA-C6F7-46B6-8CF4-C0B19484DA0C.jpeg

C8CCA702-FEF5-4A6B-8CB2-36019BA31315.jpeg

784CD545-8AA1-41EA-B446-8E04083385F3.jpeg

This was the tough old Adirondack mother:

3B76494E-6201-4582-A84E-336DC983D8D9.thumb.jpeg.96c0568a5028a8c4ba355938c09e277b.jpeg

I had the rest of her ground up there (except for the back straps) and we have not started eating any of that yet.  Hopefully it’s not as chewy as the tenderloins were.

Many folks talk about pursuing a particular buck, but that old doe outwitted me more times over the last 3 years , than any buck that I have chased. 

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Four Seasons said:

Sounds like you are a little jelly there my friend. You keep talking smack about fact but yet fail to be able to show anything I say is not fact. Everything l have in my life and my hunting life is earned. Not my fault if you feel a lesser hunter or person because you can’t do the same.  Maybe you should work on improving yourself if you are that worried about other people levels.   You again have the floor to show anything I say is not fact. But I’m sure your reply won’t be able to accomplish that.  

I don't get where you think I'm jealous of you.  I'm totally satisfied with my hunting.  I never said you didn't earn it.  Insecure much?  I could care less what you shoot.  You do come on here and run it about what others shoot.  You've done it in the last 24 hours.  That's a fact.  You don't bring anything positive to the forum IMO.  You can barely post a single thing without bragging.  The last thing I am in jealous of someone who plays tough guy on the internet.  For all I know you're a 64 year old woman who shoots fawns with a crossbow over bait.  I'm done with it.  Just thought you might like to know you come off like a tool and I'm not alone in this opinion.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, stubborn1VT said:

I don't get where you think I'm jealous of you.  I'm totally satisfied with my hunting.  I never said you didn't earn it.  Insecure much?  I could care less what you shoot.  You do come on here and run it about what others shoot.  You've done it in the last 24 hours.  That's a fact.  You don't bring anything positive to the forum IMO.  You can barely post a single thing without bragging.  The last thing I am in jealous of someone who plays tough guy on the internet.  For all I know you're a 64 year old woman who shoots fawns with a crossbow over bait.  I'm done with it.  Just thought you might like to know you come off like a tool and I'm not alone in this opinion.

Probably, it’s his hair.

• Like 2