LIVE From The Woods 2021 Stories And Pictures Let's Have Em!

grampy

57 minutes ago, Four Seasons said:

If You have no clue what it takes to target any mature you might have an idea. You see I am lucky and smart enough to be able to have choices of mature deer to harvest on my ground because I in fact made it that way. You can go back 10 years and look at my harvests on this site alone if your looking for envious. Sorry if you can’t do or have any of the above but if you work real hard and learn from a successful Ny hunter of mature deer you may get there someday. Until then enjoy all the pic’s you see of other hunters mature deer harvests. Yearly. 

It's ok if you don't have what it takes. There are alot of people on here you could learn from if you would be willing to learn. 

It's sad when you post others harvests to make up for your short comings.

As for myself, I am greatful to have had another safe, successful,  enjoyable,  memorable season. Really does not get better then that

• Like 1

He came off as a condescending know it all dick. Or maybe I’m just a soft Karen now.

And thanks… definitely put more work into that deer than any other one and was out most days looking for tracks and other sign trying to pattern him.

The funny thing is out of the 7 deer I killed in NY this year, only that doe didn’t get gutted and one stupid picture that wasn’t even meant to get into that sparked all this. Vast majority of my deer get gutted, only special situations don’t and New Year’s Eve with the doe was one of those where I felt fine leaving it over night. It’s not like I made some post on here telling everyone to leave the guts in their deer and it was a great method.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I get it and it might have helped if you said it that way from the get go.

But again congrats

No, you havent. Doesnt mean you aren't a great hunter though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Fair. I don’t know his history and I got a little heated with the comment about my regards for venison as I go out of my way to process it, prepare and give it to people that have never had it and utilize every piece I can. I love pursuing big deer but at the end of the day I love venison and I’m all about filling freezers.

I have to admit I don’t eat the balls though. I know that was something on here for some folks. I save the heart, liver and tongue. Maybe one day I’ll get there

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Just Lucky said:

It's ok if you don't have what it takes. There are alot of people on here you could learn from if you would be willing to learn. 

It's sad when you post others harvests to make up for your short comings.

As for myself, I am greatful to have had another safe, successful,  enjoyable,  memorable season. Really does not get better then that

As for yourself you again showed exactly what you didn’t complete. And you think your fooling anyone saying it does not get better than that. Don’t make Excuses for short comings. I will help school you on harvesting big mature Whitetail’s anytime you ask. It’s a gift. 

• Sad 1

Yeah I guess I just meant that I’m not sure that website has it correct. I’ve seen a lot of 3.5 year old NY bucks and that one doesn’t look like one.

No disrespect to biz’s buck at all. Just not sure it’s a 3.5z

I'm going to stay out of that conversation, all I know is that a 3.5yr old could be between 86-221lbs hanging and gross between 68 3/8"-167 2/8" in that area.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I'm reluctant to post this but will, lol.  I took this video approx. 90 minutes after killing her and she had been gutted for 70 minutes prior to this.  I sent it to some friends just to show the heat that comes out of a deer in an interesting way.  Yea, this was New Years Eve.......

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Fair. I don’t know his history and I got a little heated with the comment about my regards for venison as I go out of my way to process it, prepare and give it to people that have never had it and utilize every piece I can. I love pursuing big deer but at the end of the day I love venison and I’m all about filling freezers.

I have to admit I don’t eat the balls though. I know that was something on here for some folks. I save the heart, liver and tongue. Maybe one day I’ll get there

The balls are actually really good

19 minutes ago, Four Seasons said:

As for yourself you again showed exactly what you didn’t complete. And you think your fooling anyone saying it does not get better than that. Don’t make Excuses for short comings. I will help school you on harvesting big mature Whitetail’s anytime you ask. It’s a gift. 

I am always willing to learn. Can I get your friends friend number. They seem to have what it takes.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Chef said:

The balls are actually really good

Let's not forget the brain, quite the delicacy. Won't go out of my way to make or eat it but when my dad was alive he would on occasion make rocky mountain oysters and cappuzelle from the deer, both of which were quite good.

• Like 1

I'm reluctant to post this but will, lol.  I took this video approx. 90 minutes after killing her and she had been gutted for 70 minutes prior to this.  I sent it to some friends just to show the heat that comes out of a deer in an interesting way.  Yea, this was New Years Eve.......

I’m old enough to remember when you would leave the heart & lungs inside a deer. Some might say that’s not gutting a deer

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I’m old enough to remember when you would leave the heart & lungs inside a deer. Some might say that’s not gutting a deer

LOL......yup Tommy, one time.  Not on purpose, just a combination of things; darkness looming, a 200# deer alone below level ground and a some excitement as it was a good buck.  And as usual, I came out and made light of it.  I didn't have too but that's not how I am, I'm not to proud to admit a mistake. 

But you just enjoy bringing it up, is it some kind of insecurity you have? 

• Like 1

LOL......yup Tommy, one time.  Not on purpose, just a combination of things; darkness looming, a 200# deer alone below level ground and a some excitement as it was a good buck.  And as usual, I came out and made light of it.  I didn't have too but that's not how I am, I'm not to proud to admit a mistake. 
But you just enjoy bringing it up, is it some kind of insecurity you have? 

Lol. I was planning to save that one in my back pocket for 2022, but here we are 2 days into the year and we got a gutting controversy!

gotta say i have had some disagreements on this site and   i was never 100% correct and perhaps a bit over zealous  but  dam when two hunters cant just say glad you had a good season and congrats and good luck next year we dont gotta worry about tree huggers and anti's giving us a hard time, to each there own

• Like 1

Ok-- I have heard enough Alfa Talk from you + The Hornhunter. I know your response is for Just Lucky above.
  Again - come May you + Mr. Hornhunter should definitely  let those 2 Year old Gobblers walk. 1" Spurs are just beneath  you both. 
   Shoot only Gobblers that have Spurs in excess of 1 1/2"s.  If it is all about the Antlers- then it must also be all about the Spurs.
  Wait-- I can School Ya if you need advice. Looky below! And if you have a set longer, we all would love to view them. 
  Now hopefully-- we can all enjoy 2022 and move on.
20220103_003002.thumb.jpg.0944627cc8c990bc3c024b788be66cfa.jpg
Billy,, I think it's time to pull out the box of legs and show these boys what's up !!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm trying to think of a situation that has ever come up where not gutting the deer before leaving the woods with it was the best course of action. I got nothing.

Or immediately after,the processing is one thing but leaving the guts in? You have no idea what's going on in there. 

Edited by Jeremy K

Just an FYI, I almost never gut my deer where they are shot, I don't like to gut on my property in an effort to not entice predators.  I always bring the deer back whole to the cabin, gut there and throw the entrails into a compost pile. Never had an issue using this method, but then again from time of shot , back to the cabin and deer gutted is typically within the hour.

• Like 3

Billy,, I think it's time to pull out the box of legs and show these boys what's up !!

Bill has some hot long legs that’s for sure

• Like 1

You can tell alot of ppl didn't get ther bucks/goals this season. Everyone has blue balls here. Sheesh.

Not my best season ever but I punched a tag and had a blast. Even after the annoying neighbor BS that continues, I let it bother me overnight and now I'm back to level. I suggest everyone do the same.

As to the measuring contests - obviously Law has knocked down some good ones, probably one of the most consistent mature buck hunters and deer killers on this forum or NY. More importantly he really is a nice guy and a fellow .243 fan.

I have met The HH once before at his hunting partner's house whom I know better. I'm going to say this to provide general context and respect privacy as much as humanly possible - don't underestimate or overestimate people's ability or walls based on their posts.

Both are great hunters. Maybe different strategies/mindsets, etc. but both are great and we should all learn the best from each person here.

Edited by phade
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2

You can tell alot of ppl didn't get ther bucks/goals this season. Everyone has blue balls here. Sheesh.
Not my best season ever but I punched a tag and had a blast. Even after the annoying neighbor BS that continues, I let it bother me overnight and now I'm back to level. I suggest everyone do the same.
As to the measuring contests - obviously Law has knocked down some good ones, probably one of the most consistent mature buck hunters and deer killers on this forum or NY. More importantly he really is a nice guy and a fellow .243 fan.
I have met The HH once before at his hunting partner's house whom I know better. I'm going to say this to provide general context and respect privacy as much as humanly possible - don't underestimate or overestimate people's ability or walls based on their posts.
Both are great hunters. Maybe different strategies/mindsets, etc. but both are great and we should all learn the best from each person here.

Agreed. Can't judge a hunter by his posts. I see some guys on here that definitely sound like they know what's up, and always seem to have an input but you never seem to hear the success stories let alone pics.

• Like 4

Ok-- I have heard enough Alfa Talk from you + The Hornhunter. I know your response is for Just Lucky above.
  Again - come May you + Mr. Hornhunter should definitely  let those 2 Year old Gobblers walk. 1" Spurs are just beneath  you both. 
   Shoot only Gobblers that have Spurs in excess of 1 1/2"s.  If it is all about the Antlers- then it must also be all about the Spurs.
  Wait-- I can School Ya if you need advice. Looky below! And if you have a set longer, we all would love to view them. 
20220103_003002.thumb.jpg.0944627cc8c990bc3c024b788be66cfa.jpg

Bill - I’ve been very vocal for people to shoot what makes them happy on here. I love the thrill of chasing mature deer and the inevitable ups and downs that goes with it but I know that’s not for everyone. I don’t really care about the size of the antlers and there’s several higher scoring bucks on my properties than the one I killed but I decided weeks ago it was either going to be that buck or nothing. The #1 thing I care about with a buck is a challenge and this buck was the most challenging I’ve hunted and that means way more to me than what his antlers look like. My way isn’t better than anyone else or the way for everyone, it’s just my way. And that’s the thing about hunting… it’s a deeply personal endeavor that everyone does for their own reasons. My username came about when a farmer asked me if I was a horn hunter or a meat hunter and now it’s my nickname from him. In reality I’m both, but I dedicate 90% of my hunting time to big bucks and am fortunate enough to have good ground that I can still fill my freezer and my family’s by spending relatively little amount of time on does.

Now I completely suck at Turkey hunting so I can’t make any promises I won’t blast the first bird to come out. I didn’t grow up hunting and while I was very lucky to find some great deer mentors the last few years, I’ve got no one that Turkey hunts so I pretty much just make an idiot of myself every time I’m in the Turkey woods. Hopefully you’ll share some of that knowledge you have as it sounds like you’re the resident expert here

• Like 4

9 hours ago, blackbeltbill said:

20220103_003002.jpg

Sorry Billy. No schooling needed on this end. Sorry I don’t keep bone and have not kept a beard the last couple. Just like Whitetails. 2 tags givin 2 tags filled yearly. 

B6E12638-C3F7-4950-AD48-AD95AF5AC06B.jpeg

FF143FDD-3162-422B-95B5-CC70AEA25E24.jpeg

I'm trying to think of a situation that has ever come up where not gutting the deer before leaving the woods with it was the best course of action. I got nothing.
Or immediately after,the processing is one thing but leaving the guts in? You have no idea what's going on in there. 

I hope we can put this gutting thing to bed soon.

I never claimed it was the best and I’m pretty sure I acknowledged gutting it right away is the 100% correct way.

Just to give some context here as apparently this is a super controversial topic, I didn’t gut it right away because the neighbor has a slew of animals from chickens to goats to horses and I figured it would be polite to not entice a ton of coyotes close to their land. I could have brought it somewhere else and done it but I felt comfortable with the temperate to just hang it until the morning which was a lot more convenient seeing as it was New Years Eve. I know that’s controversial and I respect other peoples opinions but ultimately it’s my decision and I’m fully aware of the risks… I never even brought it up as I viewed it as a special situation for myself but I’ve seen enough other people do it and had enough meat from deer it’s been done to that I was willing to take the risk. You all can make whatever decisions you want with your deer and as I said before, vast majority of my deer get gutted right away.

• Like 4