LIVE From The Woods 2021 Stories And Pictures Let's Have Em!

grampy

7 minutes ago, blackbeltbill said:

Not impressed.. 1,000 Acres of Fenced Private. All my 123 have been Killed on Public of Crowded Gun Club Lands. Not 1 Private Turkey taken..

Lol.  Why of course. Would not expect anything different.  Not sure where you keep coming up with 1000 acres of fenced when maybe a 20 acre piece of the farm holds the fenced deer business but Ok…

What are the special circumstances? I think you’ve lost just about everyone on this one man. You say you normally guy them all right away, but then argue it doesn’t matter because they don’t do that down south (which is false btw)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When it’s around 40 or below I think you can get away with leaving it over night assuming you didn’t pierce the gut cavity. Now I agree it’s 100% the best option to gut it right away so if I have time that’s what I do… but with this particular doe I couldn’t gut it on the property she was on, was already running late for something after dealing with some other neighbor BS and the overnight temps were around 40 so I felt fine hanging and dealjng with it in the AM. Again, I never brought this up or encouraged anyone else to do it. I’m fully aware I increased the risk with the meat but from my experience I still don’t think it was that material of a risk or will result in anything different than other deer I butcher. I could be wrong and that’s the risk I took. Maybe I’ll keel over and die when I eat it. Who knows.

My point about the south was I’ve witnessed and ate deer that hung in warmer temps for longer than what I did and would have never known it was any different. Your experience down there sounds different than mine but literally every time I’ve hunted there it’s happened and it’s normal business for the groups I’ve been with to leave them up to a day with the guts in. That doesn’t mean you SHOULD do it that way but it gave me confidence I COULD take the risk of leaving it until the AM and be fine. I’m not arguing you shouldn’t gut your deer so if anyone misinterpreted that I’m sorry. Life doesn’t always go according to plan and sometimes doing what’s the 100% best method either isn’t possible or isn’t convenient and you settle for less.

Last post on that topic. You all can think I’m an idiot. Don’t really care. It’s my deer, my choice and ultimately my risk.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I don't think there is an active forum member who hasn't at least once had it out on the forum with one or multiple other members on a topic. So it'll roll off like water on a duck's back for the most part.
This forum does seem to prefer the more open sharing of details and info, pics, etc. For largely positive reasons to celebrate wins, camaraderie, and to learn from experiences. That said, the best practice (to me) seems to be either end of the spectrum - open book sharing or just don't share any personal points/results while sticking strictly to points of conversation. Being in the middle, sharing some or flashes ends up causing issue - IE your doe photo but without context of the gutting. Been there, done that. I'm working toward the latter practice...not there yet fully, but getting there. In full transparency, I am absolutely floored you are posting photos at all. Kudos to you for participating. You'll need to figure out what works best for you.
All that said, there are several awesome members here which is why I try to still participate.

Good post, thanks for the thoughts.

It’s a delicate balance. I joined the forum to find like minded people and share my experiences hoping they would help others as I spend a lot of time chasing deer and have been lucky to hunt with some of the best hunters out there. I make lots of mistakes and hope sharing them lets someone else avoid doing the same and I enjoy learning from others experiences and posts.

Live and learn… first lesson of 2022: don’t post pics of ungutted deer on here!

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

17 minutes ago, TheHornHunter said:

Good post, thanks for the thoughts.

It’s a delicate balance. I joined the forum to find like minded people and share my experiences hoping they would help others as I spend a lot of time chasing deer and have been lucky to hunt with some of the best hunters out there. I make lots of mistakes and hope sharing them lets someone else avoid doing the same and I enjoy learning from others experiences and posts.

Live and learn… first lesson of 2022: don’t post pics of ungutted deer on here!

I appreciate both your and Laws posts.   Keep em coming.  Congrats on getting it done at the wire.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, crappyice said:

I must ask…are these yours or a friend iof a friend?!?
Hahaha…New New Year!!!

The weird part is that he didnt lay those out for the picture ,they're always like that.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Lets all enjoy this pic from my coworkers hood in San Antonio f5c2f7284178fc5cbea5cf69a7482d8f.jpeg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That buck is wrinkly.   I have never seen that as a basis to age them but he must be in the George Burns era. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Lets all enjoy this pic from my coworkers hood in San Antonio f5c2f7284178fc5cbea5cf69a7482d8f.jpeg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Should be put out of his misery... Having to walk around with all that weight on his head.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, blackbeltbill said:

I am probably 3rd most Hated now after 4Seasons + Hornhunter.

Or in a tie for 3rd with Dirt time.

Usually  Bored Belo quotes me non stop after Deer Season. The day is Young.

Bored Belo spent 5 hours in the woods today cutting trails and scouting. Brought the .22 in case the bushy tails were moving but none were. Everything froze that I brought with me except my can-am. This might be the first "somewhat" live from the woods post in a few days.

IMG_1273.thumb.jpeg.aebdb0fe23475a60e69e29b822c4c854.jpeg

• Like 4