LIVE From The Woods 2021 Stories And Pictures Let's Have Em!

grampy

Took a hike with [mention=762]Chef[/mention] today looking for some tree rats or hold over pheasants as he was scouting for a coyote spot. Good to be out even though no game was seen.
He didn’t even make me wear two masks or show my vax card - it was nice of him to bring me a booster shot!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hahaha, thanks for showing me that spot It should produce a few predators.

As for boosters biz is Scheduled for his somewhere near the hudosn this spring he just doesn’t know it yet

• Like 2

Ohio. Wind is bad for the stand I had planned to sit. Audible to a ground spot. We will see. Have three lanes on the my good wind side on what appears to be two trails with repetitive tracks and one that appears to be a single buck track with good size.

5766F7C4-3219-4FE0-902E-899649DFD9EE.jpeg

• Like 6

3 hours ago, rachunter said:

Nice !! is the G2 broken off on the right side or under the snow.

Broken off. He said he was going to have it fixed. We all gave him a world of shit for that. You get it the way it came. My brother poked at him saying why not add drop tines. All in good fun. Hell of a nice guy and super at camp. So happy for him. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, First-light said:

Broken off. He said he was going to have it fixed. We all gave him a world of shit for that. You get it the way it came. My brother poked at him saying why not add drop tines. All in good fun. Hell of a nice guy and super at camp. So happy for him. 

If a buck crashes into a tree and dings his headgear  or half his rack pulls off when he goes down, fix it.   Other than that, it is what it is.   

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, Belo said:

Chains all dull now trying to cut some trees as close as possible to the ground.

Damn man.......you have extra chains?  You sharpen your own?

If the answer to both is a "NO", snag a few extra chains then buy this beauty:

https://www.pferd.com/us-en/products/new-products-and-innovations/chain-sharp-cs-x/

I use a bench vise to simplify the job and enjoy it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

https://www.pferd.com/us-en/products/new-products-and-innovations/chain-sharp-cs-x/

OR!  I can run down to Finke equipment, and they'll sharpen all 4 of my chains for 20$!  

.... Also I suck at sharpening.

Edited by UpStateRedNeck

29 minutes ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

OR!  I can run down to Finke equipment, and they'll sharpen all 4 of my chains for 20$!  

.... Also I suck at sharpening.

Are they open Saturday night and you want to make chips Sunday morning before church?  Ahhhh, I didn't think so.  :)

And.....for the price of a case of beer, you're in business.  Btw, this is the company that makes the same one branded "Stihl" for them.

Edited by Lawdwaz

Fixed? To what size? 3” G2 or 24” G2? That’s silly taking a guess and adding inches

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2 hours ago, Lawdwaz said:

Are they open Saturday night and you want to make chips Sunday morning before church?  Ahhhh, I didn't think so.  :)

And.....for the price of a case of beer, you're in business.  Btw, this is the company that makes the same one branded "Stihl" for them.

I sprung for one similar to this about 20 yrs ago. Makes short work of dull chains.

C3CA6153-790A-4B1C-AD81-71CA92D4B8AC.jpeg

• Like 1

Yeah I have an extra and sharpen my own. Do enough cutting that I’ve gotten pretty good at it and thought about getting a nicer file like the one you linked to which looks like the sthil one

15 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Fixed? To what size? 3” G2 or 24” G2? That’s silly taking a guess and adding inches

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Would probably match the other side. Yes it's silly but his deer. If it broke while on its death run I would have it fixed. I think he is leaving it as is. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Belo said:

I was thinking about that version but saw some pretty mixed reviews.

Learn to to do it by hand or with a guide if you must.  A well hand sharpened chain will outperform and outlast any done on a machine.

Of course , I'm biased. That's how I was taught and have sharpened 100s over years .lol

• Like 1

The only problem with the electric sharpeners is that it can be very easy to remove too much material from the tooth. And each tooth should have the same amount of material removed each time it’s sharpened. If certain teeth are ground more than others, they won’t cut as they should because they become shorter in height. When using a hand file, you should always use the same number of strokes of the file for each tooth. Start with the worst and count how many strokes it takes, then use the same number of strokes for every tooth.
Like ncountry said, learn to do it by hand. It will be sharper than any machine can do it. 

• Like 2

On 1/8/2022 at 6:38 PM, Belo said:

Spent a few more hours in the woods today hacking trails. Chains all dull now trying to cut some trees as close as possible to the ground.

Didn’t look hard but still no bushy tails out even in the sun.

Log rite log cant or woodchuck. Get that off the ground and away from dirt

14 hours ago, ncountry said:

Learn to to do it by hand or with a guide if you must.  A well hand sharpened chain will outperform and outlast any done on a machine.

Of course , I'm biased. That's how I was taught and have sharpened 100s over years .lol

Yes that's how I do it. Guide and file.

12 hours ago, SWEDE said:

Log rite log cant or woodchuck. Get that off the ground and away from dirt

I'm not sure what you're saying. I obviously know that dirt is bad. It was 20 something degrees with a few inches of snow on the ground and I had my 10" electric and 20" gas. There was one stump I went in a little sideways and it just sort of happened. I really didn't want much stump sticking out on the trail. Is what it is and I can sharpen the chain that was getting close to needing it anyhow. I cut a lot of fruit trees and those bastards do a number, 

• Like 1

On 1/10/2022 at 9:49 AM, Belo said:

Yes that's how I do it. Guide and file.

I'm not sure what you're saying. I obviously know that dirt is bad. It was 20 something degrees with a few inches of snow on the ground and I had my 10" electric and 20" gas. There was one stump I went in a little sideways and it just sort of happened. I really didn't want much stump sticking out on the trail. Is what it is and I can sharpen the chain that was getting close to needing it anyhow. I cut a lot of fruit trees and those bastards do a number, 

How is the electric saw ?loud ?