LIVE From The Woods 2021 Stories And Pictures Let's Have Em!

grampy

36 minutes ago, WNYTRPR said:

How is the electric saw ?loud ?

I was shocked at how happy I am with it. It is single handedly one of my farvorite buys last year. It's super quiet, doesn't stink like gas, it's instant on and off with a trigger pull and I haven't met a chore that it couldn't handle that a 10" gas saw could. Basically it's awesome for trim work. 

If you're looking for a con, I'd say that if it gets gummed up with stuff it wont work itself clear as well as gas and it takes a little longer to cut through given less rmp's but it's also so light that I've done some 1 handed hanging off a tree type stuff. The lower rpm's aren't a deal breaker at all.

Thing looks like a toy but it's not. I also wanted a backup battery and found a good deal on 2 4ah batteries and I've worked for hours and not had my 4ah run dry on me yet.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/CRAFTSMAN-20-Volt-Max-Lithium-Ion-10-in-Cordless-Electric-Chainsaw-Battery-Included/5001583789

Edited by Belo
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, WNYTRPR said:

3 legged ?

16 hours ago, NonTypical said:

Sure looks like it. 

14 hours ago, rachunter said:

Do you have anymore pics of that dog? It’s amazing the will to survive some animals have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14 hours ago, stubborn1VT said:

I think the leg is there, but blurred out in the pic.

yeah it's just blurred

IMG_0278.JPG.e4f6daba5086479961a53f4b74ebf85d.JPG

• Like 3

On 1/11/2022 at 1:13 PM, Belo said:

I was shocked at how happy I am with it. It is single handedly one of my farvorite buys last year. It's super quiet, doesn't stink like gas, it's instant on and off with a trigger pull and I haven't met a chore that it couldn't handle that a 10" gas saw could. Basically it's awesome for trim work. 

If you're looking for a con, I'd say that if it gets gummed up with stuff it wont work itself clear as well as gas and it takes a little longer to cut through given less rmp's but it's also so light that I've done some 1 handed hanging off a tree type stuff. The lower rpm's aren't a deal breaker at all.

Thing looks like a toy but it's not. I also wanted a backup battery and found a good deal on 2 4ah batteries and I've worked for hours and not had my 4ah run dry on me yet.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/CRAFTSMAN-20-Volt-Max-Lithium-Ion-10-in-Cordless-Electric-Chainsaw-Battery-Included/5001583789

I have read that electric chainsaws have so much torque that the usual protective chaps don't work.  (They contain tough fibers that are meant to bind up the saw.)  As far as which way to sharpen chains goes, in the woods obviously I use use a file for touch ups.  In the garage I use an electric grinder and can bring a beat up chain to new working condition fairly quickly.  All methods take practice, IMO.

• Like 1

On 1/14/2022 at 10:05 PM, jperch said:

I have read that electric chainsaws have so much torque that the usual protective chaps don't work.  (They contain tough fibers that are meant to bind up the saw.)  As far as which way to sharpen chains goes, in the woods obviously I use use a file for touch ups.  In the garage I use an electric grinder and can bring a beat up chain to new working condition fairly quickly.  All methods take practice, IMO.

If I'm honest I only wear chaps when I'm doing big or long projects, but that's good to know. I'm generally more cautious with eye protection and when running my 20" gas saw hearing protection. 

On 1/9/2022 at 7:17 PM, Belo said:

I was thinking about that version but saw some pretty mixed reviews.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I looked at getting an electric sharpener, (yes, I can sharpen with a file) I found that most of my maintenance sharpening can be done quickly with the file. When I totally F-up a chain an electric sharpener would be better, but I found that I can get them sharpened for about $5 from the saw shop down the road and for the price of a "good" electric sharpener it wouldn't balance out. That said, I have multiple chains for both saws and can swap them out to be sharpened.

FYI, few things start more arguments than Chain saw use/sharpening and welding.

1 hour ago, Judoka95 said:

I looked at getting an electric sharpener, (yes, I can sharpen with a file) I found that most of my maintenance sharpening can be done quickly with the file. When I totally F-up a chain an electric sharpener would be better, but I found that I can get them sharpened for about $5 from the saw shop down the road and for the price of a "good" electric sharpener it wouldn't balance out. That said, I have multiple chains for both saws and can swap them out to be sharpened.

FYI, few things start more arguments than Chain saw use/sharpening and welding.

I have a manual file, I spent 20 minutes in the garage on a weeknight and touched up the 20" pretty effortlessly. Was out in the woods again this weekend and she cuts just about good as new. I have no issue with manual sharpening and when a chain gets bad enough the price of a new one isn't going to kill me.

My biggest concern at the moment is how am I going to get soil samples for the plot work I want to do this spring haha

25 minutes ago, Belo said:

I have a manual file, I spent 20 minutes in the garage on a weeknight and touched up the 20" pretty effortlessly. Was out in the woods again this weekend and she cuts just about good as new. I have no issue with manual sharpening and when a chain gets bad enough the price of a new one isn't going to kill me.

My biggest concern at the moment is how am I going to get soil samples for the plot work I want to do this spring haha

Well, I wouldn't use a chainsaw. Ha.ha. maybe an ax or pick for the 1st few inches..

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Belo said:

Whats there to be concerned about ? Do it the old fashioned way with some sweat equity !  Happy digging ! :pleasantry:

Axe1.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Belo said:

It appears to me that is a great opportunity here. you can get you soil samples and then practice your sharpening skills. Win-Win. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SportsmanNH said:

Whats there to be concerned about ? Do it the old fashioned way with some sweat equity !  Happy digging ! :pleasantry:

Axe1.jpg

that diagram also needs a snow shovel after yesterday, but yeah... that's the plan. Not sure How easy it will be to access them either.