LIVE From The Woods 2021 Stories And Pictures Let's Have Em!

grampy

38 minutes ago, WNYTRPR said:

Was that for me ?

Yes, I guess I typed to quick

You’re taking it then? My limited experience with RK isn’t good but hey, if you can scavenge some meat off it great.  

I’d do the gutless deal on this one.  Lol

22 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

Yes, I guess I typed to quick

You’re taking it then? My limited experience with RK isn’t good but hey, if you can scavenge some meat off it great.  

I’d do the gutless deal on this one.  Lol

I’ve skinned my share of rk from deer -skunk LOL .gets messy .wasn’t banking on having much edible meat .Didnt help the cop pulled into the driveway and ran right over it again lol .(video of that would have been epic)it will get utilized either way .

When I got there my buddy told me about the cop hitting it ,he thought maybe the deer was still alive and the cop was putting it out of its misery .he’s not an outdoors guy,I couldn’t help but to laugh.it was the sedan cop car also .

Edited by WNYTRPR
  • Haha 3

Winter project that I have been wanting to do for years. If anyone is wondering the mountain Mike's skull is an easy way to display sheds and old deadheads. 

I found this buck dead on some local public and it stunk so bad that I cut off his antlers at the bases. Now I try to save the whole skull plate so I could score it if I ever wanted to. This deer was a dandy for public it's a shame that it didn't die by the arrow. "Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms"  this one also had his a-hole(can I say that?) eaten by dogs when I found him.

20211211_135932.jpg

20211211_140133.jpg

20211211_141431.jpg

20211211_143227.jpg

• Like 7

Well that’s all she wrote. I passed on a small buck, a shed buck, and a yearling tonight with my bow. I was hoping that one of the fat mature does would’ve given me an opportunity but it wasn’t meant to be. I was just happy to get out. I definitely hunted less this year than any other that I can remember for reasons outside of my control. 8 months to go until opening day. 

Edited by NonTypical
  • Like 5

with the break in weather and another round of snow coming I snuck out of work a little after 2 today. Took my oldest with me and we went and pulled all the cell cams. Put a few with fresh batteries that I leave up year round for "people watching". Grabbed a bunch of cushion seats that I never got around to. I really appreciate the muddy mesh seats lol.

Brought the .22 looking for some bushy tails but still quiet out there. Can see the deer digging quite a bit more than I expected. Good time to scout but I will say the heavy and active runs I see now are for sure not what the bucks use in the fall, so some good learning there. 

All in all happy to get some exercise and fresh air with my oldest. Also my kunz rough cut mower was delivered today. Spring can't get here soon enough!

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Belo said:

with the break in weather and another round of snow coming I snuck out of work a little after 2 today. Took my oldest with me and we went and pulled all the cell cams. Put a few with fresh batteries that I leave up year round for "people watching". Grabbed a bunch of cushion seats that I never got around to. I really appreciate the muddy mesh seats lol.

Brought the .22 looking for some bushy tails but still quiet out there. Can see the deer digging quite a bit more than I expected. Good time to scout but I will say the heavy and active runs I see now are for sure not what the bucks use in the fall, so some good learning there. 

All in all happy to get some exercise and fresh air with my oldest. Also my kunz rough cut mower was delivered today. Spring can't get here soon enough!

Some surveyors tape in your pocket is a good thing year round but especially this time of year to mark out things you’d like to investigate later.   

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, diplomat019 said:

For you guys who live in the Catskills, will I be able to hike this weekend or will the mountain trails still be covered in snow?  

1 minute ago, GreeneHunter said:

Not after Yesterday !

They are also talking about a nor'easter for Saturday.

9 hours ago, GreeneHunter said:

Not after Yesterday !

9 hours ago, MPHunter said:

They are also talking about a nor'easter for Saturday.

10 hours ago, diplomat019 said:

For you guys who live in the Catskills, will I be able to hike this weekend or will the mountain trails still be covered in snow?  

Looks like snow in central NY at least

Had to cure some cabin fever today. Hacked some more trails and did that thing where you stand in the woods for a while just kind of looking. Like if anyone saw you they might be concerned about your mental health, but what you're really doing is deciding what might be a good tree for a stand and when you find that tree you wonder how much work it might be. At the same time you also know that the turkeys roost in this area and you're trying to find a good spot for a blind, but you're not really all that sure which trees they're roosting in and how you can approach it without spooking them.

Then you get home and you feel good about the work but you now have more questions than when you went in.

Anybody else? No? Just me?

• Like 2