LIVE From The Woods 2021 Stories And Pictures Let's Have Em!

grampy

I bumped a couple that were bedded in the brush just beyond my stand when I walked in 1/2 hour before sunrise.  Maybe it was the fork horn and button buck that I watched feed out in this clover for over an hour yesterday.

Thanks to an unexpected win yesterday, I will be downstate for the state field hockey tournament next weekend. That means this will be my second last archery hunt, so I am in full “anything goes” mode, as far as using my buck tag.  

F6B94469-CB59-47DD-AE5A-B77DC3578DBD.jpeg

• Like 3

Afternoon hunt was a bust for me. No deer seen on the upper end of the property. Lower end was the place to be. Hunting partner saw nine with two decent bucks. His daughter, shot at and missed a young buck.
Will be back out in the morning. Think I'm going back to where I saw that nice buck earlier in the day.

You got this Grampy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Finally joined after following  for awhile. 
Wondering what everyone's thoughts are about hikers allowing there dogs to run loose and chase deer on state park land.

Running deer, intentionally or not is illegal in NY. So is hunter harassment if you can prove it.

Also it’s coyote season and you could “mistake” a dog for a yote and so long as that dog isn’t wearing a vest, the owner only has themselves to blame.

• Like 1

Both  everything they are here they do a push . Last year open ING day of gun they started pushing at 8am 

Totally understand deer drives during gun. No issues there. Hunters generally don’t push during archery as you’re hunting food and breeding. To know crossbow has opened up this practice during the rut is bothersome.

13 minutes ago, Belo said:

Running deer, intentionally or not is illegal in NY. So is hunter harassment if you can prove it.

Also it’s coyote season and you could “mistake” a dog for a yote and so long as that dog isn’t wearing a vest, the owner only has themselves to blame.

That happened to my parents neighbor. Bad thing is it was a black lab not a coyote. Criminal charges were pressed on the hunter and he lost his license for life. However, if it was a dog that looked like a coyote and didn’t have a collar he may have had a case. 

Mine too, but it's my first year using cams. I'm still waiting for the onset of a flurry of activity that persists for days (weeks?) indicating heavy rut. Does that actually happen?

I’m running 5 cells on 2 different properties plus another 6 or so standard cams and my dad and I have had tons of activity and punched some tags of deer that we never saw on the cams. Sometimes we start to rely too much on them and forget how deer move all wonky through the woods. If I had been going just off my cams I’d be disappointed too.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Belo said:

Totally understand deer drives during gun. No issues there. Hunters generally don’t push during archery as you’re hunting food and breeding. To know crossbow has opened up this practice during the rut is bothersome.

Uh yeah that total BS. Can you imagine people shooting at alerted/running deer with archery equipment! Im laughing just thinking about it. 

12 hours ago, crappyice said:

My daughter’s team got bumped early due to a goal they scored not counting - NO ONE - coaches, players, officials included - truly knows the rules of field hockey. They just blow the whistle and point and everyone accepts it!

It is pretty confusing.  During most of our regular season games, it seems that there was almost constant whistles and stoppages of play.  Thru the playoffs, the refs have kept their whistles in their pockets mostly, which keeps the game flowing much better. 

The girls will be on some new ground in Long Island next weekend. Our high school field hockey team has not won our section championship since 2013, and none of the previous teams has made it past the first regional round.

It’s going to cost me more than half my crossbow season, but I am looking forward to see them play against the usually dominant downstate teams.

I am also looking forward to some good food and service at my favorite downstate food joint, the Eldorado diner.  I may be forced into eating more store bought chicken this winter, due to a lack of venison, but at least I will be eating good next weekend.

• Like 1

That happened to my parents neighbor. Bad thing is it was a black lab not a coyote. Criminal charges were pressed on the hunter and he lost his license for life. However, if it was a dog that looked like a coyote and didn’t have a collar he may have had a case. 

Without knowing the whole story, that guy has a bad lawyer. No collar and on private land and it shouldn’t matter.