LIVE From The Woods 2021 Stories And Pictures Let's Have Em!

grampy

It is pretty confusing.  During most of our regular season games, it seems that there was almost constant whistles and stoppages of play.  Thru the playoffs, the refs have kept their whistles in their pockets mostly, which keeps the game flowing much better. 

The girls will be on some new ground in Long Island next weekend. Our high school field hockey team has not won our section championship since 2013, and none of the previous teams has made it past the first regional round.
It’s going to cost me more than half my crossbow season, but I am looking forward to see them play against the usually dominant downstate teams.

I am also looking forward to some good food and service at my favorite downstate food joint, the Eldorado diner.  I may be forced into eating more store bought chicken this winter, due to a lack of venison, but at least I will be eating good next weekend.

Weve lost two guys from our fishing trip because theyre headed to LI, that title better come home to Clarence! Seriously what an amazing opportunity. Softball had a legitimate shot last season but they didnt go beyond sections due to covid

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

The dog had an orange collar and the hunter was a trespasser 

Lol well yeah he deserved it then. I guess my point was if I was in a stand on my private and posted land and the neighbor was letting their dog loose and it ran by me without a collar or vest I doubt I’d be prosecuted… not that I’d do that intentionally though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just now, Belo said:

Lol well yeah he deserved it then. I guess my point was if I was in a stand on my private and posted land and the neighbor was letting their dog loose and it ran by me without a collar or vest I doubt I’d be prosecuted… not that I’d do that intentionally though.

I have had dogs chasing deer in my woods before. I went to the neighbors house to kindly ask them to chain up the dog. Well she obliged kindly after the dog bit me on their porch haha. I couldn’t shoot a pet over a deer. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Chef said:

Well if I get him I’ll send the jaw to deer age so we can find out

Good idea chef.  You can never have too much data.  Don’t forget to measure the chest girth and use plenty of pepper when you fry up the oysters.

Keep me posted if you might be able to make a GTG at the Eldorado next Friday or Saturday.  I am planning on being there for dinner both nights.

12 minutes ago, Belo said:

Don't do it and tell anybody.

One of my idiot neighbor's dogs came up missing. They accused another neighbor with zero proof of shooting their dog.

What a pain. The sheriff's, and troopers have both paid him a visit. If there was any proof at all he would have been ticketed. 

2 minutes ago, SpacemanSpiff said:

I have had dogs chasing deer in my woods before. I went to the neighbors house to kindly ask them to chain up the dog. Well she obliged kindly after the dog bit me on their porch haha. I couldn’t shoot a pet over a deer. 

About 10 years ago, when our girls were small, my wife coerced me into putting up some posted some signs at our place.  Our girls had some forts back in the woods and she was worried they would get shot during hunting season.  Apparently, one of our new neighbors interpreted “posted” as “public dog walking park”

I was back in a ground blind near the center of our farm on a Sunday afternoon and I watched two women approaching on foot.  They passed between two posted signs on their way towards me.  They had a small yip dig on a leash and a big free ranging German Shepard. 

As they got closer, the Shepard  caught my scent and charged towards my blind, drooling and barking up a storm. It looked like it was going to jump into the open back of my blind, so I held my 12 gauge muzzle an inch or two from its ear and pulled the trigger.

The dog may have suffered some powder burns and hearing loss from the “near miss” .  It let out a wail and turned and ran back to its owner with its tail between its legs.  Their only coments were “that shut him up“ and “we didn’t think you were back here”.   That was the last year I put up posted signs and the last year that I had any trespassing problems.

I'm pretty sure the hikers that let there dogs off the leash yesterday  afternoon  learned a hard lesson.

The 2 dogs took off chasing deer up the Mt. The last 2hrs before dark I never heard the dogs again.  All I heard was the owners trying to call them back. 

1 hour ago, Belo said:

Without knowing the whole story, that guy has a bad lawyer. No collar and on private land and it shouldn’t matter.

you can not shoot a dog on your own land unless it is endangering livestock. 

I was tempted a few years back when coyote hunters let their gps collared dogs roam all over the place.

I didn’t expect any deer action where I started out this morning, after bumping a couple on my way in.  I left there, and fixed my dads tractor tire, back up in their barn.  A rear valve stem got busted, when I was putting the chains on it yesterday.  Alden NAPA said they had none and they were on back order, due to all the container vessels stuck offshore.  I had a spare in my shop at home, so I brought it with me, when I came over to hunt this morning.

Now, I am back in the woods in my “trailer park” blind.  This is in the direction that the two deer that I saw this morning moved to and I have the wind in my favor from this side.  Hopefully, there will be some action, during the lucrative 10-2 time period, up here on the north edge of the swamp.

I met the guy that parks his car and owns the last mobile home, on the dead end road that leads to the back of my parents woods.  He was ok with me parking my wife’s mini-van there.  Hopefully, I can put the cargo carrier to use today.

50D685C7-D7E3-4C06-B939-C18D927630F9.jpeg

I wish I was smart enough to pack it in early on days like today but I always think you just never know when something might show up. Oh well 20 more minutes and I’m done here to go get some lunch and grab my daughter door the evening hunt.

• Like 2

I saw a few small bucks cruising around yesterday AM.  Sat out with my 8 year old and had a couple doe come by us before last light, and a 4 point on their tail.  I should have taken a doe, but didn’t.  Nothing at all this morning!  The boy had fun out there as usual yesterday.  He was operating the rattle horns when he could.

54857BC6-0552-448A-BC48-AE3ACBA79C99.jpeg

Edited by loworange88
  • Like 5

I wish I was smart enough to pack it in early on days like today but I always think you just never know when something might show up. Oh well 20 more minutes and I’m done here to go get some lunch and grab my daughter door the evening hunt.

Same I should left after the first 30 minutes as the next 4 hours no bueno!

• Like 1