LIVE From The Woods 2021 Stories And Pictures Let's Have Em!

grampy

1 hour ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Westchester (3S) is bow only 10/1 - 12/31. After thanksgiving lots of deer drives on stateland. I’ve never been a part of one but they happen often

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Open invite to some this season if you want. We usually wait till the last 3 weekends. This way we don’t blow spots up for other hunters for too long 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, silent death said:

Jim despart is a good friend of mine flying arrow isnt the name of the store no more it is now called bullseye Jim's archery shop. If your bring your bow there Monday or tuesday eathier him or gary his brother get can you fixed up

I just emailed him and questioned about dropping it off Tuesday and perhaps a turn around time ! Thanks for the Info !

https://bullseyejimsarchery.com/

• Like 1

Open invite to some this season if you want. We usually wait till the last 3 weekends. This way we don’t blow spots up for other hunters for too long 

Let me know! I’m down to try

I am in my favorite stand at home for my last hunt of the 2021 archery season.  I have not been back here in over a month.  It looks like the adjacent white oak is stripped clean of acorns, but the clover and winter wheat plots to my south are looking good. 

There are two freshened scrapes within 15 yards and I rubbed a bit of evercalm on each licking branch.  Hopefully, the goofy looking crab claw 8 point, that taunted me back here a couple times in September, or the little spike and fork horn that I saw a few times, will show up before a half hour past sunset.  

If not, I will have to try and fill that tag during the late ML season.  There will be three “openers” for that this year: NZ (a week prior to SZ), SZ, and Holliday.  I should be able to hit all three of those. 

C6176537-8316-4C06-908E-3569E6C870FB.jpeg

• Like 3

Pre season we counted over 80 deer in one afternoon of scouting. Now that I'm trying to kill 'em, I've seen fewer than 10 deer total in as many sits. Sat this morning from 530 until noon. First spot felt deery, but didn't see anything. Tried a few grunt / bleat sets, but nada. Around 10 i moved 200yds into the wind to another stand but still no deer. At least the day wasn't a total loss. When I got home I put the party set away, pulled the garden and cut the lawn for hopefully the last time.

• Like 3

Just witnessed something that goes against something that I’ve ever been told!! I saw a coyote with a red fox trotting about 5 yards behind it! Y was like they were buds!! When one stopped, the other did too! I have never seen this before!

I always heard that coyotes kill red fox, because they compete for that same prey! And if you have a lot of coyotes, you won’t have any/many fox.? I’ve heard this many times!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Westchester (3S) is bow only 10/1 - 12/31. After thanksgiving lots of deer drives on stateland. I’ve never been a part of one but they happen often

Deer drives are alot of fun if you have the people and get the deer moving. Very common up here in the Adirondacks for camp and clubs. I used to hunt Massachusetts with my wife's family during there shotgun season first Monday after Thanksgiving. The year I went we killed 13 deer. Eight come out of one drive.

• Like 1

I did not see anything tonight at home.  Looks like I will still have an either/or tag for the 3 late ML seasons.  Tonight was my last archery season hunt of the year.  I will be driving across the state and watching the high school field hockey champs (I hope) next weekend.

I think I will try at least two more hunts with my crossbows during the late ML seasons.  My trailer-park stand is too close to a row of double-wides to fire a ML from.

I tried that stand at midday today, but saw only two grey squirrels.  There were lots of deer tracks on that back side of the swamp though.  I need to try it in the early morning and late afternoon when deer may actually be moving.  

That 10-2 stuff has been almost a complete waste of time,  as deer movement, in my 40 years of hunting them.  At the moment, I can only think of one doe that I killed during that slot, in all those years.

Edited by wolc123