LIVE From The Woods 2021 Stories And Pictures Let's Have Em!

grampy

With how your year is going I don't know how you have the restraint to not shoot a doe. 

A wise band once said, “It’s not the kill, it’s the thrill of the chase.”

On a side note, I will admit to fantasizing and imagining a bullseye on her heart though!!!!! LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

A wise band once said, “It’s not the kill, it’s the thrill of the chase.”

On a side note, I will admit to fantasizing and imagining a bullseye on her heart though!!!!! LOL

I’d zip a doe then go back to the thrill of the chase. Always have more tags at the ready. Lol.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Moho81 said:

I’d zip a doe then go back to the thrill of the chase. Always have more tags at the ready. Lol.

Couldn't agree more. I have five tags and only need three deer at the most. I love venison. Even if I shoot two does I would still have a buck tag. But to each their own...

• Like 1

My hunting buddy went and sat a stand over at his place tonight on the edge of a swamp. He had a beauty of a 10 pointer come in with a doe to 15 yards but couldn't get a shot. He said it raised his heart beat a bit!

• Like 3

Couldn't agree more. I have five tags and only need three deer at the most. I love venison. Even if I shoot two does I would still have a buck tag. But to each their own...
That was my thought process yesterday....solo doe gets taken. Need to fill the freezer with 2 growing boys and the price of store bought food going through the roof. I did wait to see if a buck was trailing....ans since I didn't see one around she didn't get a pass.

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I saw nothing this morning. My girlfriend had texted me that she saw four deer in a field down the road heading to work this morning and two of them were bucks. We saw two bucks in the same field on Sunday morning. I went there mid day to check the wind and I came up with a plan. I set up my doe decoy (AKA Kaitlyn) and I blended myself in on the hedgerow. At 4:15 I looked across the field, about 250 yards, and here comes a tall eight pointer on a B-line towards my decoy. I got my crossbow raised and when he was about fifty yards out he stopped. He back peddled about ten yards and began to slowly wandered off. I bleated a couple of times and he would stop and look but continued to walk away. I thought it was going to happen tonight. That was one of the coolest hunts, my heart was pounding out of my chest! 

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, bigpaul said:

I saw nothing this morning. My girlfriend had texted me that she saw four deer in a field down the road heading to work this morning and two of them were bucks. We saw two bucks in the same field on Sunday morning. I went there mid day to check the wind and I came up with a plan. I set up my doe decoy (AKA Kaitlyn) and I blended myself in on the hedgerow. At 4:15 I looked across the field, about 250 yards, and here comes a tall eight pointer on a B-line towards my decoy. I got my crossbow raised and when he was about fifty yards out he stopped. He back peddled about ten yards and began to slowly wandered off. I bleated a couple of times and he would stop and look but continued to walk away. I thought it was going to happen tonight. That was one of the coolest hunts, my heart was pounding out of my chest! 

You better get a better looking/smelling Kaitlyn lol!!

Edited by Fletch
  • Haha 1

Wife and I had a great night, no deer shot but I had a really wide 6 come in too my right at  10  yards and no shot. He got behind me and I pulled out the true talker and gave it a grunt as I’m looking behind me, out runs a 4 . I’m thinking I’m going to see a sparing match, nope  no fighting no nothing. I hit the grunt tube again and  I can see the wide six looking down my way. I watched them for a few minutes and they both headed up the hill.
My wife was on the other part of the lease across the road about 8- 900 yards up from me . She tells me on the 2 way radio about 1/2hr after I see him that a really big six came in behind her to her right no shot . We’re in lower part of 8w and there’s seeking going on but I’m not seeing any major rut activity happening yet. Glad I’m off next week too. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, bigpaul said:

Great reading about the hunt BP you’ll get em soon but you made me laugh out loud when I read Kaitlyn that’s the best.  Good luck in the morning hopefully it’s a magic one for the forum. 

• Thanks 1

Saw two different mature bucks cruising at mid day. One above where I was set up, one below. Way too far for a shot. Both hugging thick cover.

Had something happen late this afternoon, that I have never heard before in the deer woods. I was in a hub blind close to thick cover, (notice a pattern here?) when a buck started grunting. And grunting. And grunting! Non stop! For almost 20 minutes! I couldn't see him. But I don't think he was moving, pretty much stationary? No sticks breaking or anything like that. Just non stop grunting! Have no idea whether it was an old or young buck. I've heard tons of bucks grunting over the years. But never like this. For so long. Non stop! And yes, I'm positive it was a buck grunting. 

Anyone else ever have this happen?20211109_163715.thumb.jpg.262dca018acf21a7a85462b62f7130bc.jpg

Three doe's out front on edge of thick stuff, before the buck grunting began.

Towards the end I got laughing, thinking this buck will grunt himself hoarse! It ended as abruptly as it started. I estimate he grunted a minimum of 200 times!! Non stop!

Whatayathink????

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, grampy said:

Saw two different mature bucks cruising at mid day. One above where I was set up, one below. Way too far for a shot. Both hugging thick cover.

Had something happen late this afternoon, that I have never heard before in the deer woods. I was in a hub blind close to thick cover, (notice a pattern here?) when a buck started grunting. And grunting. And grunting! Non stop! For almost 20 minutes! I couldn't see him. But I don't think he was moving, pretty much stationary? No sticks breaking or anything like that. Just non stop grunting! Have no idea whether it was an old or young buck. I've heard tons of bucks grunting over the years. But never like this. For so long. Non stop! And yes, I'm positive it was a buck grunting. 

Anyone else ever have this happen?20211109_163715.thumb.jpg.262dca018acf21a7a85462b62f7130bc.jpg

Towards the end I got laughing, thinking this buck will grunt himself hoarse! It ended as abruptly as it started. I estimate he grunted a minimum of 200 times!! Non stop!

Whatayathink????

That is crazy. all there is to it...

• Like 1

Sat the edge of the bean field again for the last 2 hrs of the day as it's an easy and quick stand for me to hop in after work. I had a buck down over the bank from me grunting and pacing back and forth but never got a good luck at his head gear as he was in a bunch of thick stuff. There's a patch of woods that that sticks out into the field on opposite side that's only 10 yards wide at the widest spot and is roughly 300 yards from me. With about an hour or so left of shooting light I see a doe come flying out with a little 6 running her hard. I get caught up watching them so much that I didn't see the other buck come out until he was about 50 yards from me and coming in hot. I grab my bow and am about to draw when I realize it's the up and comer. With this being the last week he's really beginning to push his luck.imagejpeg_0(18).thumb.jpg.b7d63854b93526fec79743c0c7206cf2.jpg

• Like 4

Whatayathink????

My only guess would be tending a doe but I’ve never seen one grunt anywhere close to that long. Maybe rut fried his brain