LIVE From The Woods 2021 Stories And Pictures Let's Have Em!

grampy

Had a horrible start to my day and forced a PM hunt in this heat. Glad I did. Passed 7 bucks at 8 yards in 6 minutes. Including a 7 point 3.5 that I passed on first day of bow last year. Saw one of our shooters and was completely expecting to see him in the caboose position of that buck train lol. Smart guy didn’t follow them and broke off solo. 

Saw 10 deer tonight total. Didn’t want to get out at all. Don’t let the heat keep you out.

• Like 4

Had a horrible start to my day and forced a PM hunt in this heat. Glad I did. Passed 7 bucks at 8 yards in 6 minutes. Including a 7 point 3.5 that I passed on first day of bow last year. Saw one of our shooters and was completely expecting to see him in the caboose position of that buck train lol. Smart guy didn’t follow them and broke off solo. 

Saw 10 deer tonight total. Didn’t want to get out at all. Don’t let the heat keep you out.

Biz’s opening morning is tomorrow morning. 77 high but only 53 at sunrise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

First hunt of the year for me. Heading to 3N. It’s 53 degrees rising to 75 later but I’ll probably only hunt till 10am. Zero wind. 654am sunrise, so 624am legal shooting.

LFG!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

Trying to decide to fish or hunt or nothing.  Rain moving in. 

Decision made. Neither. No sense in hunting for an hour and a half and dumping my scent around and then if I hit one trying to track in the rain.  

And fishing ..... As Hank Jr says. " I'm for love , I'm for happiness, but I'm against fishing in the rain,". 

Next weekend and all this week look to be in the 70s.  Prob fish mostly next weekend and have a wedding to go to on Sunday. 

Edited by Robhuntandfish

1 hour ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Trying to decide to fish or hunt or nothing.  Rain moving in. 

Decision made. Neither. No sense in hunting for an hour and a half and dumping my scent around and then if I hit one trying to track in the rain.  

And fishing ..... As Hank Jr says. " I'm for love , I'm for happiness, but I'm against fishing in the rain,". 

Next weekend and all this week look to be in the 70s.  Prob fish mostly next weekend and have a wedding to go to on Sunday. 

I can handle, and often do very well, when fishing in any two of the following three conditions: rain, high winds, and cold.

The three combined is a definite no go however.  I always bring my full rain gear when we do our annual summer trip to the St Lawrence (cold is rarely an issue then), and have taken some of my best fish up there in the rain.

The good things about the rain is that it eliminates all the pleasure boaters and most of the fisherman so that you can have any spot you want all to yourself.  The Buffalo Bills playing has a similar effect and I took full advantage of that last Sunday.  Also, the clouds reduce the sunlight into the water, making the fish feed more aggressive at mid day, than they do in sunny conditions.

Edited by wolc123

We’re working on our camper this AM, then moving a pair of stands midday. These sloppy days are the days that matter IMO. Take advantage of info and things you need to get done. It all plays a role. Not a fan of the light winds for PM but we will see.

This buck has been on cam this week hitting our plots and ag fields. Went to bed at 6-630 each morning and came out about 20 after dark. One might think that pattern makes him nocturnal. That said I saw him last night on his feet closer to bed - with a solid 45 min of shooting light left. Totally vulnerable if we had figured it out and been closer. I was 120 yards out. He covered that last distance in about an hour so he was moving a lot within his safe zone. We hope a stand move helps. S winds likely rules us out tonight though.

B6C23E4C-BF2A-45BD-88FD-055C3F9C1709.png

Edited by phade
  • Like 7

Radar lied. I got rained on pretty good. Good test for this new early season jacket though. I'm no worse for the wear. Deer are starting to come into the bean field to feed. None in range so far. I watched 4 walk right past the stand i was in yesterday.

• Like 1

Biggest buck I'd ever seen, last night, about 5:32, 44 yards away in brush.  

Hit the can to try to lure him in, he didn't like that at all, pretty sure I could still hear him snort wheezing about a mile away.

Yea bro a little early for the can…. Don’t you think

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had one small flat walk right under me at 7:15. Nothing after that. Sprinkling a bit but not bad. I’ll stick for a bit more. Mosquitoes are pretty bad, id hate to be on the ground.

Biggest buck I'd ever seen, last night, about 5:32, 44 yards away in brush.  

Hit the can to try to lure him in, he didn't like that at all, pretty sure I could still hear him snort wheezing about a mile away.

I like it! I would always rather swing at strike 3 than watch it go by!

• Like 7

57 minutes ago, 50calpeephole said:

It is, but I didn't have any other way to get him to close the or so 20 yards I needed

IMHO , all forms of calling are effective in early season, except perhaps hard loud rattling... Back when I was bowhunting  my main strategy involved calling rather than sitting over food sources,  and my hunting buddies and I called in lots of bucks pre-rut with grunting and  light rattling sequences...

• Like 5