LIVE From The Woods 2021 Stories And Pictures Let's Have Em!

grampy

1 hour ago, johnplav said:

Yep... I've got an old gun that always dents primers and never goes boom... I think it needs a new hammer spring. 

I had a tang safety Ruger M77 that   would dent primers but not discharge...Had a gunsmith install a heavy duty firing pin spring and never had another misfire..

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Pygmy said:
1 hour ago, johnplav said:

Yep... I've got an old gun that always dents primers and never goes boom... I think it needs a new hammer spring. 

I had a tang safety Ruger M77 that   would dent primers but not discharge...Had a gunsmith install a heavy duty firing pin spring and never had another misfire..

This is not the response from Pygmy that I expected!  Hope your deer season is going the way you want it to.  Nice to see your name come up on the forum.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, phade said:

Four days of work coming up for me. My time off work is pretty much exhausted. Spent Sat midday to yesterday midday in Ohio. So close on Saturday PM to getting a shot at two bucks that would have been my PB, but wasn't meant to be. Sunday was some of the most miserable weather I have sat in, in years. 32 degrees and snow that sticks and melts, and the process repeats with heavy snow and sun, melting the fallen snow. I was soaked morning and PM. I kind of regret it because I got a bit of frost bite on my left hand fingers and my middle finger is still darn sore. 

Monday was the regular season opener. I could have tried to hunt all day and boogie home but I'd get home late and be a waste here at work. So I hunted til Noon. Had to choose between two stands. Chose the one I sat Saturday PM, which was harder to get to, but felt like it'd hold the deer once pressure hit. Didn't see a deer. Heard one blow at me when I got down, but that was it. Of course, the easy stand, the other option, had the third largest buck on the farm walk in, in daylight, about 30 minutes after sun up for what would have been a slam dunk shot. Meh, go figure.

Good news is the big guy got his first day survival wings. Another good buck at the second farm showed up just before light. No idea if he made it.

9B45E651-8D8C-4995-A745-24CCBB60C98D.jpeg

D63BD3D7-109F-4724-85E9-3221AC1F878A.jpeg

5FCB55E2-1CBC-48CD-A3A8-1F8C2EA30B22.jpeg

Man what a freaking bummer!! 

3 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Sorry bud, a primer can be dented and it still be a gun issue. For a primer to go off the firing pin must strike it with enough force to drive the anvil “front side of area firing pin strikes” into the “mix” known as a disk. If the firing pin doesn’t strike with enough force it will crack the disk instead of crumbling it. The effects of the disk crumbling Are what ignites the primer.

Soaking a bolt in clp is about he worst thing you could do to your bolt. Break clean or alcohol is what you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not all guns react the same way.  On both of my FTF’s, there was no visible dent on the primers, and the gun was soaked the day prior to freeze up.   That leads me to believe that trapped water was the culprit.  Either that, or The Big Guy preferred that I take the buck(s) later, that those two does were pregnant with.

I now have plenty of meat, no gun buck tag, and I never had much love for processing does (takes me too long to trim off all that fat).   For that reason, I am going to stick with that lubed-up Marlin the next time I get out there with my three dmp’s, here in the sz, which will be the last Saturday of the season.

Hopefully, it will be good and cold and a doe (or better yet a button buck) will give me a chance to see who’s right).  Then I will know for certain whether or not I need to use the Marlin or my (always fires) Ithaca, the next time it is real cold and I have an valid buck tag.

Good day in the woods without a shot. Nice calm day with flurries the entire time. Took a mile up the mountain before I caught fresh tracks. Ended up seeing 1 buck jumped him wasn't big but couldn't of gotten a shot even if I new he was legal,2 unknown,  3 fawns and 5 does. If I had a doe tag I would of had one 3 of the does and 1 fawn stood looking at me for 2 mins at 40yrds.  All sign was 1500' or higher.i think we are going back on the last day of the season so atleadt we know where to start.

• Like 3

Had a 9:00 meeting get canceled this morning, so I geared up and did some still hunting/scouting. Not a tail! Did find a nice tree to put a stand in along the corn though. Got back to the house at 1:30 all sweaty and frustrated, swearing I wasn’t coming back out this evening……. After a change of clothes and lots of water, here I am back out in a stand! I have issues….

Just hoping a big one (or possibly medium one at this point) will make a mistake.

• Like 10

Not all guns react the same way.  On both of my FTF’s, there was no visible dent on the primers, and the gun was soaked the day prior to freeze up.   That leads me to believe that trapped water was the culprit.  Either that, or The Big Guy preferred that I take the buck(s) later, that those two does were pregnant with.
I now have plenty of meat, no gun buck tag, and I never had much love for processing does (takes me too long to trim off all that fat).   For that reason, I am going to stick with that lubed-up Marlin the next time I get out there with my three dmp’s, here in the sz, which will be the last Saturday of the season.
Hopefully, it will be good and cold and a doe (or better yet a button buck) will give me a chance to see who’s right).  Then I will know for certain whether or not I need to use the Marlin or my (always fires) Ithaca, the next time it is real cold and I have an valid buck tag.

I have no idea what that has to do with me responding to your statement “if the primer is dented it rules out a gun issue?”

• Like 1

I have no idea what that has to do with me responding to your statement “if the primer is dented it rules out a gun issue?”

Doing any tracking this week ?

Tried for a birthday buck today. Came close. Seen a 4pt bedded down in a field I could sneak around for a shot. Only needed a couple more steps, and a second doe I didn't see, seen me. Only thing close enough to shoot were these two skippers. 

IMG_20211130_161028304.jpg

• Like 5

58 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Yea, but he didn’t say “dented”, he said : “well dimpled”. To me, that rules out a gun issue. 

I know I have a gun issue with my Marlin shotgun, because there was no sign of a dent on the primers, when I used it on freezing cold days, after getting it soaking wet in rain or swamp water submergence on my prior hunts.   

If he finds someone else with one of those oddball caliber guns, then he can have them test the questionable ammo.  I think I will lock my questionable, oil-lubed firing pin assembly Marlin shotgun in the trunk of my car, on a real cold day this winter, and see if it will fire with one of my extra slugs the following  morning.  I will let you know how that goes.

If it don’t go “bang”, then I will take the bolt apart and clean it good with brake cleaner, prior to next September’s early antlerless season.  If it does go off, I will clean and lube the bore, add another drop or two of cpl to the firing pin, and put it away for safe keeping.

2 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

Yea, but he didn’t say “dented”, he said : “well dimpled”. To me, that rules out a gun issue. 

I know I have a gun issue with my Marlin shotgun, because there was no sign of a dent on the primers, when I used it on freezing cold days, after getting it soaking wet in rain or swamp water submergence on my prior hunts.   

If he finds someone else with one of those oddball caliber guns, then he can have them test the questionable ammo.  I think I will lock my questionable, oil-lubed firing pin assembly Marlin shotgun in the trunk of my car, on a real cold day this winter, and see if it will fire with one of my extra slugs the following  morning.  I will let you know how that goes.

If it don’t go “bang”, then I will take the bolt apart and clean it good with brake cleaner, prior to next September’s early antlerless season.  If it does go off, I will clean and lube the bore, add another drop or two of cpl to the firing pin, and put it away for safe keeping.

Or you could just trust that Buckmaster knows what the heck he's talking about...  Jeez.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

Any room in the freezer?

Not a thing today... damn it. I reactivated and deployed a couple cell cams along the newly cut corn field bordering my property. Hoping if I see some deer moving on cam it'll serve as some much needed motivation. During bow season, I had several pics of the big 10pt I was after in the corner of the field. I would LOVE to get some pics of him now!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cabin Fever said:

Not a thing today... damn it. I reactivated and deployed a couple cell cams along the newly cut corn field bordering my property. Hoping if I see some deer moving on cam it'll serve as some much needed motivation. During bow season, I had several pics of the big 10pt I was after in the corner of the field. I would LOVE to get some pics of him now!

You sir are sure in the hell grinding in ur time,hats off to you.Hopefully your persistence pays off soon with that big 10pt:drinks:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yea, I had a funeral I went to down to in pa last weekend but got back up today and got on a real good one. Saw 3 bucks today but never the one I was tracking.

Sorry for your loss. I hope you have a good week out there