LIVE From The Woods 2021 Stories And Pictures Let's Have Em!

grampy

42 minutes ago, mowin said:

Well, my point is how do you know if the deer would be dead if she had a 44 or 30-30? You don't.  So why would you post that? 

For sure hole would be larger and not as easily plugged with fat, plus larger bullet at slower speed is more effective at that range ( number wise)  just finished lunch and got dry cloths back out to look now

• Like 2

Well since it isn’t raining and the wind is 0-5 with maybe with 10-15 mph gust once in a while I said hey it’s 58 friggin degrees LFG!!
Silly I was hunting in 6 inches of snow Thursday and today I coulda walked in wearing shorts and been warm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Oh shit.  Not sure what those gusts were but I sprinted last quarter mile with trees coming down all around.  Safely at car. 

It got offely quiet here in the last 15 mins.looks like what u got heading right this way.glad to hear u made it out safe!

We’ll, I’m one happy hunter today. Put up with the wind and rain all day (minus an hour and a half to go cut a tree with my wife), bumped at least two during my walk before I came upon four. Two crashed off 15 yards to my left but the two on my right didn’t know what was going on and they walked closer. At ten yards I dropped the one that stopped broadside. My nephew and his wife are going to be very happy since my freezer is full. 

C2753B3C-C826-42E5-B27D-74F68AF35024.jpeg

• Like 13

58 minutes ago, Greg van Splunder said:

For sure hole would be larger and not as easily plugged with fat, plus larger bullet at slower speed is more effective at that range ( number wise)  just finished lunch and got dry cloths back out to look now

Good luck..Hope you recover the deer...

Don't be in a big yank to change chamberings.....44 Mag is definitely going downhill from a .243....30-30  is OK out to 150 yards or so....There are several chamberings  that outperform  any of the above without producing a lot of muzzle blast or recoil..A couple of them that come to mind quickly are the 7MM-08   and the 6.5 Creedmoor....LOTS of reasonably priced rifles are available in these chamberings..

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Greg van Splunder said:

Yes I've discussed the advantages to a larger caliber with her. 30 30 in plans next year

When I thought there was a chance one of my smaller framed daughters might take up hunting deer, a few years ago, I had narrowed the rifle selection down to a 30/30 or a .243.  

Neither one took it up, so I am sure glad I went with the 30/30.  I probably would have gone with the .243, had my neighbor not blessed me with a buck he shot up bad with one, just as I was trying to decide.  The 30/30 lever also looked way cooler than a black plastic .243 bolt I was considering.

How has your recovery percentage been with the 30/30’s compared to .243’s ?

The 30/30 has really seemed to stand the test of time as a short range deer gun.  The .243 was ok when it was the only game in town for a light- recoiling, longer range round, but seems to be eclipsed now by rounds like the 7mm/08, 6.5 Creedmore, etc. .  

They still kill deer, and even moose and elk if you hit them in the right spot, and so will a .22 short rimfire.  That spot is mighty small, compared to what you can get away with using a 30/30, and most other popular deer rounds.

If I was out there in this wind looking for a doe right now,  that someone tapped with a .243 and couldn’t find it, I’d be tempted to throw it into the pond for fish structure.

Edited by wolc123

9 minutes ago, 46rkl said:

We’ll, I’m one happy hunter today. Put up with the wind and rain all day (minus an hour and a half to go cut a tree with my wife), bumped at least two during my walk before I came upon four. Two crashed off 15 yards to my left but the two on my right didn’t know what was going on and they walked closer. At ten yards I dropped the one that stopped broadside. My nephew and his wife are going to be very happy since my freezer is full. 

C2753B3C-C826-42E5-B27D-74F68AF35024.jpeg

30/30 ? 

• Like 1