LIVE From The Woods 2021 Stories And Pictures Let's Have Em!

grampy

Yep. Moss berg 30-30. Favorite for stalking and short range, thick brush hunting. 
I made the mistake of field dressing the deer and then climbing into a nearby stand till dark. Fifteen minutes later the hard rain came so I abandoned that plan and headed in. Short drag. 250 yards. 

Edited by 46rkl
Adding more info.

1 hour ago, Greg van Splunder said:

For sure hole would be larger and not as easily plugged with fat, plus larger bullet at slower speed is more effective at that range ( number wise)  just finished lunch and got dry cloths back out to look now

I'm not disputing that.  How would he know that the deer would be dead if she used a 44 or 30-30?  If the deer was hit in the vitals it would be dead within a 100 yrds.  

A larger caliber hit badly isn't necessarily going to kill a badly hit deer any faster. 

That said.  Good luck. I really hope you find it. The rain definitely can't help things. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

When I thought there was a chance one of my smaller framed daughters might take up hunting deer, a few years ago, I had narrowed the rifle selection down to a 30/30 or a .243.  

Neither one took it up, so I am sure glad I went with the 30/30.  I probably would have gone with the .243, had my neighbor not blessed me with a buck he shot up bad with one, just as I was trying to decide.  The 30/30 lever also looked way cooler than a black plastic .243 bolt I was considering.

How has your recovery percentage been with the 30/30’s compared to .243’s ?

The 30/30 has really seemed to stand the test of time as a short range deer gun.  The .243 was ok when it was the only game in town for a light- recoiling, longer range round, but seems to be eclipsed now by rounds like the 7mm/08, 6.5 Creedmore, etc. .  

They still kill deer, and even moose and elk if you hit them in the right spot, and so will a .22 short rimfire.  That spot is mighty small, compared to what you can get away with using a 30/30, and most other popular deer rounds.

If I was out there in this wind looking for a doe right now,  that someone tapped with a .243 and couldn’t find it, I’d be tempted to throw it into the pond for fish structure.

I feel dumber just from reading this.  A 100 grain bullet with a muzzle velocity of 3100fps creating 2100 ft/lbs?  Somehow that isn't enough to reliably kill deer, but it also has devastating results on meat (which deer are made of).  Based on physics, math, logic ,personal experience it makes no sense to me.  Not a thing wrong with a 30-30, but don't pretend it's superior to a .243 or that a person can't make a poor shot with either one. 

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

When I thought there was a chance one of my smaller framed daughters might take up hunting deer, a few years ago, I had narrowed the rifle selection down to a 30/30 or a .243.  

Neither one took it up, so I am sure glad I went with the 30/30.  I probably would have gone with the .243, had my neighbor not blessed me with a buck he shot up bad with one, just as I was trying to decide.  The 30/30 lever also looked way cooler than a black plastic .243 bolt I was considering.

How has your recovery percentage been with the 30/30’s compared to .243’s ?

The 30/30 has really seemed to stand the test of time as a short range deer gun.  The .243 was ok when it was the only game in town for a light- recoiling, longer range round, but seems to be eclipsed now by rounds like the 7mm/08, 6.5 Creedmore, etc. .  

They still kill deer, and even moose and elk if you hit them in the right spot, and so will a .22 short rimfire.  That spot is mighty small, compared to what you can get away with using a 30/30, and most other popular deer rounds.

If I was out there in this wind looking for a doe right now,  that someone tapped with a .243 and couldn’t find it, I’d be tempted to throw it into the pond for fish structure.

You should stop. You are not making yourself out to be very knowledgeable about hunting calibers. Which obviously your not. 

1 hour ago, Greg van Splunder said:

Yes I've discussed the advantages to a larger caliber with her. 30 30 in plans next year

Something to consider with the 30-30 lever gun is the over all weight. I bought my wife one and she ended up not liking it, it just got too heavy for her to carry on our extended hikes  I bought her a 7mm- 08  and she’s loves it. And my son inherited the 30-30 . 

I wasn't gonna go out at all today and didn't really. I was on my way to our barn to clean the horse stalls and saw a group of does on the field,140 yds away. I changed course and got my muzzleloader and snuck after them. They worked their way up the hill into another overgrown field and the winds really helped me keep after them. I picked out a good one just as one of them bolted and fired,about 85 yd shot. They all took off and I started tracking pretty quickly. Found hair at the hit site and sparse blood a little further down the trail. They disappeared over a crest and I decided to go at least to there and see if I couldn't see the doe from there. I got up there and followed a little further and there she was,made it maybe a little over 100 yds total. Double lung shot with no ruined meat. I will take a picture when I have her hanging. She is about medium size,good enough for me. Meat in the freezer,I was getting a little nervous. Now I would like one more but would not be upset if I don't get another.

20211211_174819.jpg

Edited by BowmanMike
  • Like 25

31 minutes ago, stubborn1VT said:

I feel dumber just from reading this.  A 100 grain bullet with a muzzle velocity of 3100fps creating 2100 ft/lbs?  Somehow that isn't enough to reliably kill deer, but it also has devastating results on meat (which deer are made of).  Based on physics, math, logic ,personal experience it makes no sense to me.  Not a thing wrong with a 30-30, but don't pretend it's superior to a .243 or that a person can't make a poor shot with either one. 

The concern here is more on recovery percentage, which may be better with a 30/30, compared to a .243, when the bullets hit in about the same spot.  Much of that is due to the size of the hole, fat/gut plugging etc. .

As far as the math and logic goes, all you need to know is that the area of the hole is proportional to the diameter squared, and the bigger the hole area, the harder it is to plug.

Edited by wolc123

10 minutes ago, BowmanMike said:

I wasn't gonna go out at all today and didn't really. I was on my way to our barn to clean the horse stalls and saw a group of does on the field,140 yds away. I changed course and got my muzzleloader and snuck after them. They worked their way up the hill into another overgrown field and the winds really helped me keep after them. I picked out a good one just as one of them bolted and fired,about 85 yd shot. They all took off and I started tracking pretty quickly. Found hair at the hit site and sparse blood a little further down the trail. They disappeared over a crest and I decided to go at least to there and see if I couldn't see the doe from there. I got up there and followed a little further and there she was,made it maybe a little over 100 yds total. Double lung shot with no ruined meat. I will take a picture when I have her hanging. She is about medium size,good enough for me. Meat in the freezer,I was getting a little nervous. Now I would like one more but would not be upset if I don't get another.

Congratulations!

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

The concern here is more on recovery percentage, which may be better with a 30/30, compared to a .243, when the bullets hit in about the same spot.  Much of that is due to the size of the hole, fat/gut plugging etc. .

Oh please.  Stop copying Greg.  As you pointed out a .22 will do the job if you hit them in the right spot.  Stop blaming the tool instead of the carpenter.  The only reason the recovery rate of a .243 would be lower is that it is often used by new/ inexperienced hunters.  That should reflect on the hunter and not the caliber.  In the hands of a capable marksman and hunter, a .243 will kill deer as well as many others.  I intend to take a deer next fall with a .250 Savage -essentially the same as a .243.  I have full confidence that a 100 grain soft point will do the job.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, mowin said:

You should stop. You are not making yourself out to be very knowledgeable about hunting calibers. Which obviously your not. 

He has never made himself out very knowledgeable about killing big deer but has a comment with advice on every post about the subject. I think because it’s a hunting site some think they can post on subjects whether they have experience or not. 

• Like 3

Oh please.  Stop copying Greg.  As you pointed out a .22 will do the job if you hit them in the right spot.  Stop blaming the tool instead of the carpenter.  The only reason the recovery rate of a .243 would be lower is that it is often used by new/ inexperienced hunters.  That should reflect on the hunter and not the caliber.  In the hands of a capable marksman and hunter, a .243 will kill deer as well as many others.  I intend to take a deer next fall with a .250 Savage -essentially the same as a .243.  I have full confidence that a 100 grain soft point will do the job.

That 250-3000 savage is a dandy cartridge. I’ve killed a few deer with it and it’s always done its job phenomenally. You have a 99 chambered in it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, Nytracker said:

Love a good  bullet ,caliber,gun debate ... lead verses jacketed verses monolithic... perhaps we should  take  it to the fire arms sub. 

These .243 guys seem to be more than just a little “recoil” sensitive.  

Hopefully g-man finds that doe and the fish in his pond get by for the winter on the structure they already have.

Just now, Buckmaster7600 said:

That 250-3000 savage is a dandy cartridge. I’ve killed a few deer with it and it’s always done its job phenomenally. You have a 99 chambered in it?

Yes.  It was my grandfather's field gun.  He passed in October.  I wasn't ready to use it this November, but I will be next fall.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wolc123 said:

Hopefully g-man finds that doe and the fish in his pond get by for the winter on the structure they already have.

I shoot a 7mm Rem Mag.  I have no problem with recoil, or logic.  The .243 is a deer killer.  You should quit while you're way behind, put predict you won't.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

Sounds like your a tad sensitive about being called out about not knowing squat about rifle calibers and ballistics.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, stubborn1VT said:

I shoot a 7mm Rem Mag.  I have no problem with recoil, or logic.  The .243 is a deer killer.  You should quit while you're way behind, put predict you won't.

It is good to see that you have enough sense not to hunt deer with a .243 if you don’t have a valid reason to.

Mowin must be recoil sensitive.

Yes.  It was my grandfather's field gun.  He passed in October.  I wasn't ready to use it this November, but I will be next fall.

That’s a great gun, i have a pretty good collection of 99’s. I completely understand on not being ready! It took me 3 years to carry my fathers 760. I’m still waiting to kill an adk buck with it and then it will be framed and hung on the wall.

• Like 3

He has never made himself out very knowledgeable about killing big deer but has a comment with advice on every post about the subject. I think because it’s a hunting site some think they can post on subjects whether they have experience or not. 

243 will for sure kill deer and kill them further and more accurately than a 30/30

That being said the 30/30 will be more forgiving on a bad shot.

I’d say my 90grain 224 Valkyrie would kill a deer too. I may take it out next summer to fill some nuisance tags. But would I chance it on a big buck… nope

52 minutes ago, BowmanMike said:

Congrats! Meat in the freezer. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

Mowin must be recoil sensitive.

Not at all.  Just hate it when someone who knows absolutely squat about a subject, spouts off like there a expert, and keeps going when they have been proven wrong multiple times.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Nytracker said:

Love a good  bullet ,caliber,gun debate ... lead verses jacketed verses monolithic... perhaps we should  take  it to the fire arms sub. 

Fair point.  Congrats to those who were successful today.  Heck, congrats to those to made it out.  I'm stuck home with a full freezer and no buck tag.  Nothing better to do then clutter up this thread.

9 minutes ago, Chef said:

243 will for sure kill deer and kill them further and more accurately than a 30/30

That being said the 30/30 will be more forgiving on a bad shot.

I’d say my 90grain 224 Valkyrie would kill a deer too. I may take it out next summer to fill some nuisance tags. But would I chance it on a big buck… nope

More forgiving perhaps. But I don’t shoot a. Wby300 Mag so I can find them if I hit them in the hoof.                                                          Point is that the guy once again giving the so called advice has once again to be proven to be talking out his ass without any true experience and even dissing those that have experience and the numbers to go with.                                                                 But Typical.  

• Like 2