LIVE From The Woods 2021 Stories And Pictures Let's Have Em!

grampy

I got most of the trails open in my parents woods, that were blocked by trees and branches that fell during that big wind storm a week or two ago.  I went as far as I could with one tank of gas in my chainsaw.  

The only spot that I couldn’t get open, was where a real big one fell into a wet spot.  There probably shouldn’t be a trail thru that mud hole anyhow, and several bypasses around it are now open.

Luckily, this big one fell opposite the direction of the trail back to where I parked my wife’s mini van, on the dead end road in the trailer park.

I am hoping a nosey deer comes in to see what all the noise was this mid-day.  I will go to my most comfortable stand, in the middle of the woods, with my muzzleloader around half time of the Bills game.   

Good luck to everyone hunting that special 10-2 period today.

F6D9C366-9F0D-4B2D-9FCC-26B50F1D6115.jpeg

Edited by wolc123

3 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

We don’t have much, I’m on about 1.5” now. I’ll come back here tomorrow Tuesday I’ll probably put the boat in at Westport and chase salmon as well.

Good luck tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks.  I'll be fishing that part of the lake, but launching on the Vermont side.  Will try to remember to put a report on here in the Live from the Water thread.

• Like 1

Just bumped a decent buck and another deer as I was looking for a three to climb. Hope to see some deer this PM. Lots of fresh deer tracks in the atv tracks, so maybe the atv got them moving and I just missed 'em. Oh well , beautiful day to be in the woods anyway.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Anyone hunt or drive by public land? Curious the numbers. I wouldn’t think tomorrow might be busier than today with many off and not having been exhausted and hungover.

I am on public in 1C. This is a 1 car spot and I did not drive by any other spots, but hunting slows down this time of year usually even with season going to the ending in late January.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

The deerless 10-2 period is over and the Bill’s have the Patriots under control, so I am back out till 1/2 hour past sunset.  I probably won’t see anything, but at least I don’t have to worry about falling out of this stand, if I fall asleep.  

81218066-C7F5-46E1-92B8-65FD57BCE4CB.jpeg

• Like 1

The deerless 10-2 period is over and the Bill’s have the Patriots under control, so I am back out till 1/2 hour past sunset.  I probably won’t see anything, but at least I don’t have to worry about falling out of this stand, if I fall asleep.  

81218066-C7F5-46E1-92B8-65FD57BCE4CB.thumb.jpeg.591fc17b26673a3134a7bb78c9a83e36.jpeg

Under control? It was a 10 point lead at half.

Just when I thought you couldn’t take it further, you’ve added a fresh bullet point.

1 hour ago, Belo said:

Under control? It was a 10 point lead at half.

Just when I thought you couldn’t take it further, you’ve added a fresh bullet point.

Bellicheck just cried “uncle”.  I don’t have sound up here in my stand but I read his lips .

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

34B597A0-4112-42DC-94BE-07FCF1A46939.jpegHoping for a Christmas miracle 

You ought to run the bunny suit for the rest of the season.  That way you will be in full compliance with the new hat or vest regulations.

You could get busted if you head out with your smoke pole with that red Santa hat on.

Nice and wet this afternoon, so I took a long slow walk through the pines. Nothing seen.   Sat the last hour in my Taj Mahal and stayed warm and dry. Nothing bumped on the way home either.  I hope to get out 1 or 2 afternoons this week, and hopefully Saturday too.  

Edited by Otto
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Belo said:

Anyone hunt or drive by public land? Curious the numbers. I wouldn’t think tomorrow might be busier than today with many off and not having been exhausted and hungover.

I hit some public land today in 7F, there were a fair amount of trucks parked.  Also towards the end of the evening I heard two shots at different ends of the land.  I was in the middle and didn’t see anything sadly.

• Like 1

Did a sit from 2:00 to 5, first time in the stand with a bow, not a deer in site.

Being a noobie to hunting I decided I am going to be tracking deer hardcore in Stuart once we get our first snow fall. I need to understand their patterns, see a deer bed, just be around them more in general. 

Edited by heavuser
  • Like 1

Sat this AM. Not a thing moving. We even did one man pushes through two bedding spots. Nothing.

Sat this PM on a food plot edge backing up against bedding and spied on the Bills game. As soon as it wrapped up I had a 100” 8 step out with a little spike at 40. Let them age up.

Perhaps the most annoying theme continued this season is does on Sunday PM. Seven stepped out at the same spot the bucks entered the field. Work beckons tomorrow so they too got a pass. Begrudgingly. They were the first deer I’ve seen in five sits though.

Have to admit I’m somewhat burned out. Will keep at it though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, phade said:

Sat this AM. Not a thing moving. We even did one man pushes through two bedding spots. Nothing.

Sat this PM on a food plot edge backing up against bedding and spied on the Bills game. As soon as it wrapped up I had a 100” 8 step out with a little spike at 40. Let them age up.

Perhaps the most annoying theme continued this season is does on Sunday PM. Seven stepped out at the same spot the bucks entered the field. Work beckons tomorrow so they too got a pass. Begrudgingly. They were the first deer I’ve seen in five sits though.

Have to admit I’m somewhat burned out. Will keep at it though.

7 Doe and here are some dying to see any deer... :(

13 hours ago, heavuser said:

Did a sit from 2:00 to 5, first time in the stand with a bow, not a deer in site.

Being a noobie to hunting I decided I am going to be tracking deer hardcore in Stuart once we get our first snow fall. I need to understand their patterns, see a deer bed, just be around them more in general. 

Since you are a newbie to hunting I will share some advice.  Deer have ever changing patterns that change based on time of year, weather, food sources, pre-rut, rut, post-rut, and hunting pressure.  Appreciate differences in any of these from year to year will effect/change the pattern you previously observed.  Still go out and observe, but factor in these other variables.

• Like 2

Heard lots of shots in my area of northern Columbia county (4u). My nephew missed a spike, twice. Said he was shaking too bad. He took a small doe later in the morning, and seen a dozen or more deer on the neighbors property thats off limits.  

Walking in yesterday morning a few minutes after legal , I see several deer about 100yrds out running around. Binoculars showed two smaller bucks chasing a doe. They were in and out of the field several times before they ran into the scrub for good. Had a BB walk past 3 times with his nose to the ground grunting trying to figure out where  those deer went to. 

Buddy across the road had 10 does, fawns in the thick stuff. Only deer he could get a clear shot on was a spike, which he passed. 

Afternoon hunt I went in the same blind and had several does, fawns and a spike milling around in the brush.  Took this doe with one ear and half a tail. 

IMG_20211226_160551318_HDR.jpg

• Like 30

Watching over a crappy little corn plot this morning from one of the two new blinds that I put up this year.  I have not had any action out of this one yet, but I have been able to kill a bb and a BB from the one that I put up over at my parents place, about 20 miles away.

I am saving my better corn plot out back for this afternoon.  I planted that one a couple weeks earlier and it has more then double the yield of the one I am watching now.  It was still holding lots of corn (and a deer ) when I was back there last Saturday.

I moved a big box blind to the south end of that plot this summer.  I made that about 7 years ago, but haven’t killed nothing out of it yet.  Chances of that ought to be good this afternoon.

I don’t expect much this morning, but this sure is a comfortable open top blind.  I will have to try and do a better job with the food plots around it next year.

FE738A3C-E032-4146-8C84-FF26BD027DC5.thumb.jpeg.09719485cadcf25bb934e06a9071ae1a.jpeg

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 3