LIVE From The Woods 2021 Stories And Pictures Let's Have Em!

grampy

5 hours ago, wolc123 said:

Watching over a crappy little corn plot this morning from one of the two new blinds that I put up this year.  I have not had any action out of this one yet, but I have been able to kill a bb and a BB from the one that I put up over at my parents place, about 20 miles away.

I am saving my better corn plot out back for this afternoon.  I planted that one a couple weeks earlier and it has more then double the yield of the one I am watching now.  It was still holding lots of corn (and a deer ) when I was back there last Saturday.

I moved a big box blind to the south end of that plot this summer.  I made that about 7 years ago, but haven’t killed nothing out of it yet.  Chances of that ought to be good this afternoon.

I don’t expect much this morning, but this sure is a comfortable open top blind.  I will have to try and do a better job with the food plots around it next year.

FE738A3C-E032-4146-8C84-FF26BD027DC5.thumb.jpeg.09719485cadcf25bb934e06a9071ae1a.jpeg

How high are you?

I haven't checked in in a while, mostly because there's nothing to report. I've been out a few time with the smokepole over the past few weeks but haven't seen anything. Come to think of it, I haven't seen a deer while hunting since shooting that lame young buck the day after thanksgiving. Weather, work, and family time has kept me away from the woods recently, so I'm definitely not putting in as much time as I was back in bow season. I was driving in to the office this morning and saw at least 6 deer, no less than 5 of which were bucks, about .5 miles from my office. I drive through Durand Eastman park to get here and the place is loaded with deer. One of the bucks I saw was a nice mature 8 point walking though a clearing not 20 feet off the road around 8am. His horns were heavy and about as wide as my shoulders. I hope to get out again on Friday for one last chance at a doe before the season ends.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Paula said:

How high are you?

The platform is about 9 ft up (those are 8 ft pt landscape timber’s that I bought from Home Depot in the spring for $ 6 each. There is a little bit of blocking below each timber. I only have $12 invested in that blind, because I used an old chair in it that I already had.

I had to spend an additional $ 8, on a fancy, adjustable office chair on other new one just like it, that I put up this year.  I am not complaining, after shooting two deer off that $ 8 chair. 

2C18D65C-91BF-4FBE-95CB-9D3579FE3DB9.thumb.jpeg.2b74fdd2067dde209242e515f40c7df9.jpeg

I just saw my first two deer of the Holiday season at 2:15 pm.  Rather than walk back along the corn and risk spooking a deer out of it like I did last Saturday, I took the long way around.  There were two of them standing on the edge of thick brush “sanctuary” area over on the other back corner.  

They ran towards the corn and I am “boxed up” in my blind over there now.  I had to make quite a racket breaking loose the ice on the windows, to open them, so I think the odds are low that those two will come out. 

Probably better odds of seeing something than if I had stayed in the house though, because there is still some corn on the stalks back here, unliked the stripped bare ones in my front plot.

I put a finger condem over the muzzle to keep the rain out on the way back.  Good luck to all those who are still out there.

EA81791B-8475-4B98-A61D-1D477BD94AB7.thumb.jpeg.d89737a3b00db2d2bc399f3e5dc762e8.jpeg

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, wolc123 said:

The platform is about 9 ft up (those are 8 ft pt landscape timber’s that I bought from Home Depot in the spring for $ 6 each. There is a little bit of blocking below each timber. I only have $12 invested in that blind, because I used an old chair in it that I already had.

I had to spend an additional $ 8, on a fancy, adjustable office chair on other new one just like it, that I put up this year.  I am not complaining, after shooting two deer off that $ 8 chair. 

2C18D65C-91BF-4FBE-95CB-9D3579FE3DB9.thumb.jpeg.2b74fdd2067dde209242e515f40c7df9.jpeg

I just saw my first two deer of the Holiday season at 2:15 pm.  Rather than walk back along the corn and risk spooking a deer out of it like I did last Saturday, I took the long way around.  There were two of them standing on the edge of thick brush “sanctuary” area over on the other back corner.  

They ran towards the corn and I am “boxed up” in my blind over there now.  I had to make quite a racket breaking loose the ice on the windows, to open them, so I think the odds are low that those two will come out. 

Probably better odds of seeing something than if I had stayed in the house though, because there is still some corn on the stalks back here, unliked the stripped bare ones in my front plot.

I put a finger condem over the muzzle to keep the rain out on the way back.  Good luck to all those who are still out there.

EA81791B-8475-4B98-A61D-1D477BD94AB7.thumb.jpeg.d89737a3b00db2d2bc399f3e5dc762e8.jpeg

How far down range is  that street and houses ?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Nomad said:

How far down range is  that street and houses ?

About 450 yards.

The blind platform is 5 feet above the ground,  so any shot towards the corn would be at a downward angle. I wouldn’t shoot in that direction from the ground.  

I always thought shooting downward eliminated concern but I learned that bullets bounce and ricochet like you wouldn’t believe, even when shooting downward.  Just an FYI. 

its actually part of military training for shooters to understand how crazy bullets react.  Not criticizing.  I was surprised myself. 

Edited by moog5050
  • Like 8

31 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

I always thought shooting downward eliminated concern but I learned that bullets bounce and ricochet like you wouldn’t believe, even when shooting downward.  Just an FYI. 

its actually part of military training for shooters to understand how crazy bullets react.  Not criticizing.  I was surprised myself. 

I am a lot more comfortable hunting 5 to 10 feet above the ground, than I am down on it.  There is not much more than 2 feet of elevation change across  the two spots, and about 100 acres total, where I hunt in Wmu 9F.  

That is probably the result of the time that I stepped thru the hedgerow, to the left of that blind, to get closer to a doe.  She was out in the middle of the next field, and there was another hunter in the far corner.

I felt his first shot part my hair (I had a lot more of that back then) before I heard it.  I hit the dirt, and the dirt kicked up by his other 4 shots, started hitting me.  

Getting a few feet off the pancake-flat ground, takes me out of the crossfire, and greatly reduces the chances of my shots hitting an unintended target.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

I am a lot more comfortable hunting 5 to 10 feet above the ground, than I am down on it.  There is not much more than 2 feet of elevation change across  the two spots, and about 100 acres total, where I hunt in Wmu 9F.  

That is probably the result of the time that I stepped thru the hedgerow, to the left of that blind, to get closer to a doe.  She was out in the middle of the next field, and there was another hunter in the far corner.

I felt his first shot part my hair (I had a lot more of that back then) before I heard it.  I hit the dirt, and the dirt kicked up by his other 4 shots, started hitting me.  

Getting a few feet off the pancake-flat ground, takes me out of the crossfire, and greatly reduces the chances of my shots hitting an unintended target.  

I am happy you are safer off the ground. Just be sure that the beyond your target is also safe, both for you and others.  Good hunting.  

If anyone wants to see it first hand just grab some tracers and shoot right before dark. It's pretty crazy what some rounds do.

Sent from my moto g fast using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, moog5050 said:

Learned that fast shooting behind my father in laws barn , once you skip a couple off a rock or hard ground and hear it zing off toward the hill down range , you change your set up .

1 hour ago, moog5050 said:

Just be sure that the beyond your target is also safe, both for you and others. 

Although its somewhat germane to the subject, this reminded me of my East Aurora spot.  I couldn't even begin to count the deer I've had to pass up due to them being skylined.  I'm hamstrung by the small area I have to hunt or I'd do things different.  Alas, it is what it is and many get the pass................safety is #1

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Although its somewhat germane to the subject, this reminded me of my East Aurora spot.  I couldn't even begin to count the deer I've had to pass up due to them being skylined.  I'm hamstrung by the small area I have to hunt or I'd do things different.  Alas, it is what it is and many get the pass................safety is #1

I once passed on a really nice buck the final day of ML because he was skylined against a road and I literally saw a school bus go by. Now some would say I couldnt hit a schoolbus and thats fair but I wasnt risking it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 2

This...

I can first hand tell you that bullets can and will do some crazy things upon impact. As Chris said, get some tracers and run a few rounds after dark. You will have a whole new view on shooting safety.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk