LIVE From The Woods 2021 Stories And Pictures Let's Have Em!

grampy

25 minutes ago, Red said:

This little guy came from behind the blind and walked with in 2' of the blind I could've punched him lol.

IMG_20211231_080522.jpg

IMG_20211231_080522.jpg

That's the best. I always get tempted to yell "BOO" and see if they turn inside out.

13 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Nope, rain again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That was just a brief passing shower.  I put the snare drum back up and now it has just about stopped again.  I was able to move the support up a few inches during the previous lull,  so at least it’s not bumping my head anymore.

The tree umbrella works pretty good in light winds, like we have today, but not so hot on windy days when the rain comes in sideways.  

Edited by wolc123

Shift timing an hour or so. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

The rain is going to stop soon. It’s already getting lighter out. This will put the deer on there feet and in front of me by 10:20.

Gutting by 11 home by 12:30.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 7

I hunted 2 evenings this week and one thing I noticed was how early the twilight hour hit. Legal light was around 10 after 5, but even before 4 it really got gray out as opposed to earlier in the year when that was the last 30-45 minutes or so.

Must be the angle of the sun this time of year.

38 minutes ago, Belo said:

I hunted 2 evenings this week and one thing I noticed was how early the twilight hour hit. Legal light was around 10 after 5, but even before 4 it really got gray out as opposed to earlier in the year when that was the last 30-45 minutes or so.

Cloud cover and any snow on the ground also makes a difference.

• Like 1

The rain is going to stop soon. It’s already getting lighter out. This will put the deer on there feet and in front of me by 10:20.

Gutting by 11 home by 12:30.

Plan “C”

Deer down at 10:55

Gutting by 11:30 home by 2.

This is my final offer.

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

Am I overthinking this? Holiday hunt Dec. 26 to Jan. 1 ...  "to" means ends this evening ... so is tonight the last chance or do I get another shot at that doe tomorrow that walked past my blind/camera at 7:12 this morning after I talked myself into sleeping in? That's the trouble with trail cams:) Would  DEC have an open season with half the population hung over?

4 minutes ago, Unit8R said:

Am I overthinking this? Holiday hunt Dec. 26 to Jan. 1 ...  "to" means ends this evening ... so is tonight the last chance or do I get another shot at that doe tomorrow that walked past my blind/camera at 7:12 this morning after I talked myself into sleeping in? That's the trouble with trail cams:) Would  DEC have an open season with half the population hung over?

Overthinking .Jan 1st is tmrw ,at 5pm season closes

Edited by WNYTRPR
  • Like 1

I agree over on the western side of the State once 4:15 hit both Wed. and Thurs.....it got grey and tough to see. Last night we could see brown blobs, and saw a flash of horn....but they would have had to be under 75yrds for a good shot.

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

41 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

I’m off. No desire to go. Maybe last few hours tomorrow just to do it. 

The persistence award of the season goes to you my friend. I know for sure I would have tapped out before now. I admire your dogged determination Jay! If ever I wished I could will a shooter within range of someone it would be you! We have to plan next year, for you to come east and hunt with me. I can then do much more than will one to you!

• Like 8

Was out this morning until 11am. Only saw 1 small doe sneaking through about 75 yards downhill from me. 

Pulled two of my cards from cameras near the stand I plan to hunt tonight. There are a ton of pics of does, about 6 different bucks including two really nice 2 1/2 or 3 1/2 year olds.  

The bigger bucks were between the 15th and 25th of December. The does have been there just about every evening during shooting time mostly between 3pm and dark, and then throughout the night. 

Also got a raccoon, gray fox, and the best pic of all is my first bear. It is a BIG one! I'm pretty good at judging bears because I hunted (and shot a few with bow and gun) them all over Canada in the 90's. 

I'm headed up to climb into this stand in a few.  Fingers crossed! 

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, Chef said:

Up and in for most likely my last hunt of the year… only after 1 animal let’s see if he shows

That blonde color phase raccoon would be a beauty of a mount. How can you tell he's a boar though?

Out in the stand for an afternoon watch before hustling in to get ready for a dinner with friends. Just enjoying the fine weather and hoping for a nice size doe to wander by. The sun is out in 8H and the temps are in the mid 40’s. 

image.jpg

• Like 2