LIVE From The Woods 2021 Stories And Pictures Let's Have Em!

grampy

It has been a very exciting holiday hunt so far…lots of time in my blind and I even harvested a nice walnut tree the other day…just hoping I can seal the deal with something a bit furry’er!  I’m actually feeling very confident as I used my garden cart (previously stashed in the woods for a potential deer harvest) to haul home a 65# beaver after this morning’s hunt (I forgot to bring the cart back out with me…).  Right now all I can smell is beaver castor and the stink dog I put up earlier (imbedded in my nose).  Good luck!!

43E65A34-6460-4CCB-80E4-0D674EAA929C.jpeg

766B13BD-7E1C-4D0F-93EF-6FF5E097DDAA.jpeg

• Like 11

I made my second trip in three days down to Canadice this morning, planning to hunt till dark but didn't have to.  I expected fog and rain but luckily (!!!!) it was only rain.  :)

Had a doe and fawn to my north early that didn't present a shot.  Around 9am another combo came from the south and that doe gave me a good shot and I took it.  She dropped on the spot.

That caps a good but difficult season for me.  I hunted pretty hard at one farm and piled the miles on my truck, trying for one particularly big buck I saw a couple times to no avail.  I saw plenty of 1.5 year olds the first couple weeks of gun season then they turned into hens teeth too.......

I shot a buck with the bow 4 doe (gave one to an old friend in poor health that loves venison still at 89 YO) so have plenty of venison for the year.

Oh yea, I searched high & low in my truck, the barn and my ass for the PA DWT (Deer Weight Tape) and couldn't come up with it.  Luckily I have a scale or two available.   She was 112lbs dressed (heart and lungs left for the critters Bizzy)

00FB3AAD-8ED7-4147-B213-EE5CEB1C8249.jpeg

68DFD2CA-2A50-4782-AC4E-5B4A2C6FD76B.jpeg

D50C6666-BD9D-40A4-A68A-F046CBC8EA88.jpeg

Edited by Lawdwaz
  • Like 32

12 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

I made my second trip in three days down to Canadice this morning, planning to hunt till dark but didn't have to.  I expected fog and rain but luckily (!!!!) it was only rain.  :)

Had a doe and fawn to my north early that didn't present a shot.  Around 9am another combo came from the south and that doe gave me a good shot and I took it.  She dropped on the spot.

That caps a good but difficult season for me.  I hunted pretty hard at one farm and piled the miles on my truck, trying for one particularly big buck I saw a couple times to no avail.  I saw plenty of 1.5 year olds the first couple weeks of gun season then they turned into hens teeth too.......

I shot a buck with the bow 4 doe (gave one to an old friend in poor health that loves venison still at 89 YO) so have plenty of venison for the year.

Oh yea, I searched high & low in my truck, the barn and my ass for the PA DWT (Deer Weight Tape) and couldn't come up with it.  Luckily I have a scale or two available.   She was 112lbs dressed (heart and lungs left for the critters Bizzy)

Congratulations Larry!!! Nice late, late season deer my friend!

Wish you could have found that PA deer girth tape.....just for S's and G's....

I was hopeful about tonight,  because it was the first time in my last (3) attempts, that I made it to my back corn plot without spooking any deer.  There must still be plenty of corn there, because the doves were all over it, but no deer showed up.  That’s it for me deer hunting at home this season.  

My wife just told me she doesn’t want to go to the new years party we had planed on attending tonight, because she’s afraid of catching Covid.  We are staying home and watching a movie instead.

That means I will be able to make the early and the late hunt over at my parents tomorrow.  Two more shots at a Holiday ML deer.

Hunted from noon till dark today.  Slow walk in the pines and nothing seen.  Found a climber and a cell trail cam dead center in the middle of the new property, so I left a note to remove before the end of the month.   I figure with the cell cam, they would know someone discovered it.  It was in very thick area, I was surprised I found it! 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

Way to end the year!

3 minutes ago, Otto said:

Hunted from noon till dark today.  Slow walk in the pines and nothing seen.  Found a climber and a cell trail cam dead center in the middle of the new property, so I left a note to remove before the end of the month.   I figure with the cell cam, they would know someone discovered it.  It was in very thick area, I was surprised I found it! 

Til midnight Tonite! Love it. Get there crap outa there! 

Good to find it now so they aren't in there mid bow season next yeat

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, dinorocks said:

I should have hunted with my brother…heading over to help him track a doe he shot…he also shot a doe a couple days ago…me and my two brothers each harvested 2 deer this year (assuming we find his and I don’t harvest another tomorrow;-)

Found it!

803D748F-A210-4D93-AD22-6A51AEA16268.jpeg

• Like 30

Congrats on those who punched.

im pretty annoyed. Hunted along our corn plot. Third time since last day of regular. Not a deer seen. Very unusual. Extremely. Had one cam on plot. A few does and small bucks at night but real low utilization. A few yotes and fox but nothing out of norm. Only standing corn for miles.

On way out, I walked out on a path through corn. Saw white hair and a leg. Inspected and found a dead 2.5 8 in the plot. Probably been there 3 weeks. Makes sense now. No arrow but the deer likely wasn’t killed by a car here.

The annoying part is last year I had to put down a two year old buck who was shot. Same stand. In total, in eight seasons, this makes 6….6! Two year olds who we have found dead, put down, or have on cam with bolts in them within 100 yards of this stand. Add to that one doe with a bolt in her. On the very first one eight years ago we made contact with the hunter and it didn’t go well because they trespassed without asking while trailing the deer. It is a safety issue for us. Let us know and heck we will help track. I’m sure it’s the same neighbor and it’s getting annoying. I’ve passed this guy three times this year. It’s gonna happen - deer that you pass may get shot. But damn this is annoying. 

F7833167-988D-4CE3-8F7D-8B50C1F82BCF.jpeg

BD83E515-5F51-405C-BA7D-AA86F3F0BB19.jpeg

Edited by phade
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Dropped a decent sized doe tonight. I spotted a group of 15 or so from a half mile away and closed the distance to 175 yards or so. I’m fully addicted to running and gunning on the ground and spot and stalking deer. It’s been my worst season in terms of killing a good NY buck but honestly I’ve had more fun the last few weeks pushing the envelope on the ground than I’ve had in a while. I’ve got one either sex tag left for tomorrow. Might pop another doe or may hold out for horns

156e102e7491e7085546179be992ea89.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 21

I didn’t see any deer today. I did have a hawk come soaring in and snatch a small squirrel. Pretty cool to see. What a great day to be in the woods. I don’t think I’ll ever say I hunted New Year’s Eve in just a hoody and it was 50 outside again! 

6540018E-B491-4B20-BDB6-1136B665E449.jpeg

• Like 2

Congrats on those who punched.
im pretty annoyed. Hunted along our corn plot. Third time since last day of regular. Not a deer seen. Very unusual. Extremely. Had one cam on plot. A few does and small bucks at night but real low utilization. A few yotes and fox but nothing out of norm. Only standing corn for miles.
On way out, I walked out on a path through corn. Saw white hair and a leg. Inspected and found a dead 2.5 8 in the plot. Probably been there 3 weeks. Makes sense now. No arrow but the deer likely wasn’t killed by a car here.
The annoying part is last year I had to put down a two year old buck who was shot. Same stand. In total, in eight seasons, this makes 6….6! Two year olds who we have found dead, put down, or have on cam with bolts in them within 100 yards of this stand. Add to that one doe with a bolt in her. On the very first one eight years ago we made contact with the hunter and it didn’t go well because they trespassed without asking while trailing the deer. It is a safety issue for us. Let us know and heck we will help track. I’m sure it’s the same neighbor and it’s getting annoying. I’ve passed this guy three times this year. It’s gonna happen - deer that you pass may get shot. But damn this is annoying. 
F7833167-988D-4CE3-8F7D-8B50C1F82BCF.thumb.jpeg.5a923b73fc566929693b806ca0cafdd1.jpeg
BD83E515-5F51-405C-BA7D-AA86F3F0BB19.thumb.jpeg.4a8f378180c5a0c30e61b70d7fbd0aa4.jpeg

That’s a major bummer, sorry to hear man. We had a neighbor like that and dropped the lease because we got tired of it. I can tolerate a lot of neighbor drama but finding dead bucks with bolts in them every year gets old quick, especially when they think they can hop the property line without a call just because they drew blood

I made my second trip in three days down to Canadice this morning, planning to hunt till dark but didn't have to.  I expected fog and rain but luckily (!!!!) it was only rain. 

00FB3AAD-8ED7-4147-B213-EE5CEB1C8249.thumb.jpeg.fb7f45cd5aa0b44988d31e73eefd1d1d.jpeg
68DFD2CA-2A50-4782-AC4E-5B4A2C6FD76B.thumb.jpeg.1f43143bea1c549c07b71387984ec08e.jpeg
D50C6666-BD9D-40A4-A68A-F046CBC8EA88.thumb.jpeg.602cd755e1b57afb45526101374c034f.jpeg

Stacked em up like cord wood this year!

• Like 1

Well the closed the gates for the last day so I decided to call it. Didn't want to walk in to my spot and with the rain coming . Nah  it was a fun year  . I am happy.  Looking forward  to fishing  and  spring turkey .  My do some pheasant  hunting  in better weather .  

• Like 1

Nothing out but a squirrel so far, down on the se corner of wmu 9F.  My parents want me to cut up a tree later, that fell over an atv trail.  

I hope it’s not the leaner in the background on this picture.  That one won’t be easy.   There is plenty of room to drive a wheeler or walk under it now.  

88696B8A-605E-4848-A031-B78260753412.thumb.jpeg.9634229f3e5d86836a8cbca5d846a2d3.jpeg

I will probably stay in this stand  until about 10, then go cut up what they want me to, before lunch.

I don’t know yet if forky came out on the clover plot, on the edge of the woods yesterday, but he did the day prior.  Hopefully, my chainsaw don’t scare him off today.  I will bring along my tree umbrella, for the evening sit, because it might rain later and there is no roof on my cherry tree blind over there by the clover.

Last evening sit I went to my stand with all the deer pics (almost overnight according to the pics) and guess what? They never showed up! lol. 

That's ok though because at least I did not run into the bear on my way out. hahaha.  I will admit; after seeing the pic of that big bugger of a bear,  I left just a bit earlier than I normally would have so I did not bump into him in the dark if he did show up.