LIVE From The Woods 2021 Stories And Pictures Let's Have Em!

grampy

21 minutes ago, Just Lucky said:

You loose credibility when you post a friend of a friends deer. Good luck next year. Maybe you can get a free range one that will not disappoint you.

Lol.  My credibility when it comes to top Whitetails in this state will never be lost. It’s a givin year after year from hard work and knowledge. If I pull the trigger on something it will never disappoint me and will be an animal many others will never have the chance to harvest. 

There are going to plenty of times if you hunt enough places and animals that you might have to wait till the morning to make your recovery. Doesn’t mean that in every case the meat will be bad. There are lots of considerations. Distilling something like meat care in neat little boxed answers is fine in the kitchen but may not work so well out in the back county. Every case and situation is going to be different .
By taking a nuanced topic without understanding or thinking about the variables isn’t doing anyone a service. There is lots of gray out there that you have to wade though to get to right decision.

You obviously didn’t read most of what I said on this topic I said 9/10 times it’s fine.. I said in a situation where it could mean losing the animal of course it’s better to let it lay.

But why do it by choice on a already recovered animal.

Is it probably fine sure… but why take the risk.

I didn’t bash him. Wasn’t rude to him. Im happy for him for the stud buck he shot.

But as someone who does actually have some expertise on the matter I gave my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

You didn't have to ask my opinion, bud.  This is a public forum last I checked.......

You posted a picture of something only a rank amateur would do OR someone with a stage name like "HornHunter" might do as they had no regard for venison.  It is quite evident you are the one full of bullshit. 

You Larry should take some of your own advice. You can spout shit about someone’s handling of a deer but have issues of others having issues of the deer people harvest?  How Typical of you !!

• Like 1

There are going to plenty of times if you hunt enough places and animals that you might have to wait till the morning to make your recovery. Doesn’t mean that in every case the meat will be bad. There are lots of considerations. Distilling something like meat care in neat little boxed answers is fine in the kitchen but may not work so well out in the back county. Every case and situation is going to be different .
By taking a nuanced topic without understanding or thinking about the variables isn’t doing anyone a service. There is lots of gray out there that you have to wade though to get to right decision.

I don’t think anybody is questioning that 99% of the time meat from a deer left overnight is fine. It was why not do it as soon as possible to negate that 1%?
I’ve hunted in the south a bunch and I’ve always seen a lot of effort in getting the animal gutted and cooled. I think it also improves the chances of quality tasting meat but that is just my opinion.

That said I eat sushi, raw oysters, raw clams, raw burgers and a few questionable restaurants which I am sure are more dangerous!!

15 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Can we get the Vax thread opened back up? At least in that only our sexual preferences, weight, intelligence “or lack of” and vaccine status were questioned. Not something serious like hunting skills and ethics!

What?  The vaccination thread is dead??  That was one of my greatest accomplishments! 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Four Seasons said:

You can spout shit about someone’s handling of a deer but have issues of others having issues of the deer people harvest? 

Do you dress yourself in the morning?

LOL you just don't make sense.  You're typing as fast as you can to get another dig in.  I could care less what others kill, please (pulled from your playbook) show me where I said anything about an other's harvest.

2 minutes ago, suburbanfarmer said:

Why is it that it always has to be one way or the other. If FS and THH dont want to gut their deer , its their choice. 

Lets move on ..live and let live. No need for personal attacks. 

As is we have enough trouble in NY hanging on to our rights.

True

OK

True

15 minutes ago, Fletch said:

I don’t think anybody is questioning that 99% of the time meat from a deer left overnight is fine. It was why not do it as soon as possible to negate that 1%?
I’ve hunted in the south a bunch and I’ve always seen a lot of effort in getting the animal gutted and cooled. I think it also improves the chances of quality tasting meat but that is just my opinion.

That said I eat sushi, raw oysters, raw clams, raw burgers and a few questionable restaurants which I am sure are more dangerous!!

Moral of the story though ,who the hell cares what another person does with their deer .Stooping to the level of the idiots who belittle the guy who shoots spike .Who the F%^# cares .

Edited by WNYTRPR

Moral of the story though ,who the hell cares what another person does with their deer .Stooping to the level of the idiots who belittle the guy who shoots spike .Who the F%^# cares .

Well I guess if a new hunter here took that as gospel and fed it to an old person, little kid or pregnant person who could not fight food poisoning well and died but hey that’s fine…….

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

Do you dress yourself in the morning?

LOL you just don't make sense.  You're typing as fast as you can to get another dig in.  I could care less what others kill, please (pulled from your playbook) show me where I said anything about an other's harvest.

You have a problem when others say something about someone else’s deer they harvest, size,score,age…Which is opinion… But you use that same statement to make it ok for you to say something to someone else about how they treat their harvests?   But that’s Ok because it’s Your opinion. I’m the petty one that has to get digs in like you. After all your petty little dig is just what brought me back into this conversation. 

4 minutes ago, NonTypical said:

Wow. I think some people need to get out of the house and do some kind of hunting. Small game maybe? Shed hunting? Duck/goose? Something? If this keeps up, it’s going to be a very long winter...Maybe someone can start a bickering thread. 

I’d like to know what the elite Deerhunters do after season.I do have a black squirrel I have to go out and seal the deal on soon .

Edited by WNYTRPR
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, TheHornHunter said:

You do with your deer as you please and I’ll do with mine as I please. If I’m interested in your opinion I’ll ask, otherwise keep it to yourself… especially when it adds zero value. This forum shouldn’t be one for petty bullshit

Never mind... 

Edited by Paula
  • Haha 2

54 minutes ago, mowin said:

Absolutely loved this holiday season.  5 guys and 10 doe taken. Everyone seen several shed bucks, and several that still had their headgear. All were passed up.  Buddy from Maine filled his two bow/ML tags and a DMP that was signed over to him. Myself and two others downed two doe each, and another buddy took 1 doe.  

Had a bunch of fun and filled the freezers.  All of us could have filled our tags long before this holiday season, but we were being selective. Lots of deer in my area, and we hardly put a dent in the heard. Friday I had 15+ deer in the field I was hunting.  Hopefully Columbia county will opt in again next yr. Despite what a some on here described those hunting this season as bad hunters, because we needed the extra week to see and kill deer, well I guess I'm a bad hunter then. 

Same here.  I saw more deer thru the Holiday week, than I did thru all of southern zone gun season after opening day.  I only killed one on the last day, but it was fun getting out there and seeing some.  

The weather was almost perfect thru most of it.  Warm enough, to not freeze my but, yet cool enough for easy meat handling and to keep the deer active. 

My favorite part about it was only needing to use 1 vacation day from work, and being able hunt 5 of those 7 days.

That was a big plus for working folks, especially those of us who have had to bust our ass continuously, going into work each weekday thru the pandemic.  

I liked all of the changes that the NY DEC put in place for deer season this year, but the Holiday ML season was my favorite.  

In these days of full-on global warming, one other great thing about this extra late season, is that it is finally cold enough to properly age a carcass in my garage, without having to use my deer fridge.  

The week after Thanksgiving was the only other week that was good for that last year, thru all of the other southern and northern zone deer seasons.  Thankfully, I was also able to take advantage of that one.

• Like 1

I only gut them if I have a long drag, I don’t eat them so I leave that job to those that do.

Why hunt if you don’t eat what you kill?